1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Totally content with my setup - end to upgradeitus!??

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by puddleduck, Sep 10, 2003.

1. puddleduck

puddleduck

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    Well I never thought this would happen, but I seem to be in the situation where everything in my system is purring along nicely, and there is NOTHING in my system that I'm hankering to change.

Naturally I'm still looking at the classified, and checking out Ebay, but the urge to buy seems to have faded - my Home Cinema system has been rounded off nicely by my purchase of a Velodyne CHT-15 which has bedded in nicely - the whole setup sounds great, and it really stuck my how good it was listening to the excellent soundtrack on the R3 release of "Infernal Affairs" - couldn't stop grinning to myself :)

My bedroom system too (I listen to a LOT of music!) is also sounding sweet - my new Marantz 7200 is sounding great after two weeks bedding in, and even though Class A mode does NOTHING perceptible for the sound (typical What HIFI hyperbole!), this is an amazing amp. at a great price point. My Mission M51 speakers have also bedded in nicely. In fact my whole hifi system (M51 ex-dem. from Sevenoaks, 7200 from Unbeatable at a great price, 63 KI from Ebay) costing £450 all in all sounds tiptop - and I wouldn't change a thing :)

Is anyone else in such a state of nirvana with their setup - and how long will my contentment last?? If this DOES last, it'll save me a bloody fortune ;)

2. HotblackDesiato

HotblackDesiato

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +230
    My advice clear your IE cache/history, and go on a week long bender...by which time hopefully www should seem unfamiliar let alone any address starting av*. ;)

...oh yes and don't read the thread about PLIIx!

3. puddleduck

puddleduck

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    Actually ProLogic 2 or PLIIx doesn't interest me at all. I'd much rather listen to my sound unadultated and as pure a possible.

I've always found it a bit strange that Home Cinema buffs go potty if DVDs are not in the OAR, or films are redone at a later date (ie Lucas) with dodgy CGI, but are quite happy to have mono films re-mixed into 5.1 etc. Or to apply PL2 to fims originally recorded in mono or stereo.

I'd rather have my audio as the sound designer / producer intended, so PLIIx or any other DSP effects are not for me.

4. pwiles1968

pwiles1968

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Must say I am very happy with the sound of my system, both AV and stereo, always got the what if bug, which changes weekly or even daily, the fact that I could not fit any more into my Hi-Fi cabinet and I’m skint stops any rash purchases, I know what I want to upgrade to and at what price point I am prepared to upgrade (DVD Recorder, will give me room for a decent second-hand CD Player, then Sub & Plasma and so on) but I have no burning desire to rush out and spend cash I do not have.

I’m satisfied with buying new music and movies to enjoy on the system.

On the CD point what do you think of your CD 63 Ki, how does it compare with players like the CD 6000 Ki, Arcam CD72 or Rotel RCD-02

5. puddleduck

puddleduck

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    how does it compare with players like the CD 6000 Ki

I owned the 6000 OSE LE and didn't like it at all (so much so I returned it!), and the 63 KI blows it away.

From all accounts, the 6000 KI uses the same DAC as the 63 KI, and sounds pretty similar - most people say the 63 KI is more involving.

I was considering the 6000 KI actually, but the advice I've had is that it would be a sideways step, not an upgrade.

I think the Rotel again would be a sideways step, and the Arcam a very slight improvement.

I'd only change my CDP for a Marantz CD 17 KI, or an Arcam CD22/23 I think.....

6. Sunday Ironfoot

Sunday Ironfoot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have you thought about upgrading your inferstructure (eg. your cables etc.). Pop along to www.russandrews.com and buy some of those new luxsury power cables for your CD Player, go on you know you want to!! :D

7. puddleduck

puddleduck

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    cable upgrades are just snakeoil for the terminally stupid IMHO ;)

8. Steve.EX

Steve.EX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    One who ignores the "potential" inprovements offered by some cables (over bell-wire say) might also be considered "terminally stupid".

Steven

9. Spligsey

Spligsey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +137

Here stands a man who has not heard a bonified high class DSP in action.

Adz

10. EvilMudge

EvilMudge

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hallelujah! Preach unto the great unwashed Brother Adz!:smashin:

11. Spligsey

Spligsey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +137
    Mudgster.

It's been a long road, the journey never seems to end mate;)

Adz

12. puddleduck

puddleduck

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    Here stands a man who has not heard a bonified high class DSP in action.

Actually I have courtesy of a friend who upgraded his AV32R to that spec. and it sounded *fine*, but as I said, I'd rather hear my sound as the sound designer intended.

I'd rather hear mono IN mono, and stereo IN stereo. Just as I'd rather see films in the AOR. Its all about an unadultated experience for me personally.

Most DVD re-mixes from mono or stereo sources to 5.1 are pisspoor, and if a sound designer with a £20k mixing desk at his disposal can't get it right, I don't believe a $20 DSP doing it on the fly will do much better...