1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

totally confused pls help -sony nw-hd3

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by tom1, Jan 6, 2005.

1. tom1

tom1
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I have the new sony nw-hd3 in front of me. Boxed and unopened. I have been reading forums all week, trying to find out whether or not it will do the things I need. Please help and try and answer some of my questions so that if not, I can return it, without losing my hard earned cash!!..

everything I read says sonic stage is crap. If so, why can’t I just downloads realy player v 10 and use this to manage all my music files – will the nw-hd3 not work with any software other than sonic stage?

I can’t actually get a clear answer on whether the nw-hd3 actually plays mp3’s? do all mp3 files have to be converted into ATRAC first, before the nw-hd3 will play them? What are the downsides of this – is it only that it takes a while to convert to ATRAC?

my main hope with this player was that I’d be able to go to a mates house, plug into their computer and download new music from their files. Is this going to be possible, say for example if they have an ipod and they use itunes? or will the nw-hd3 only connect and receive from the pc its synced to and containing sonic stage?

Please help – I’m well confused, can’t afford to open it and then not be able to return it if its crap..

Tom

Ps – imagine you’re talking to your old gran when explaining stuff to me – I’m not exactly what you’d call clued up with this stuff.. sorry.

2. extremelydodgy

extremelydodgy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +61
    "Everything I read says sonic stage is crap."
    It is simplistic and not well designed, which is a different way of saying it's crap I suppose. It is easy to use for the basic functions, I'll give it that.

"If so, why can’t I just downloads realy player v 10 and use this to manage all my music files – will the nw-hd3 not work with any software other than sonic stage?"
    At the moment, no. Realplayer does not yet support Hi-MD nor Network HDD Walkman.

"I can’t actually get a clear answer on whether the nw-hd3 actually plays mp3’s?"
    It does. Not very well sometimes in the case of VBR files, but it does actually play MP3's.

"do all mp3 files have to be converted into ATRAC first, before the nw-hd3 will play them? What are the downsides of this – is it only that it takes a while to convert to ATRAC?"
    The MP3 files are not converted to ATRAC. However as MP3 files are loaded onto the NW-HD3 they are encrypted to prevent transfer back to a PC.

"my main hope with this player was that I’d be able to go to a mates house, plug into their computer and download new music from their files. Is this going to be possible"
    No... well let me rephrase that, you will be able to load the music onto your player if you clear out everything on the player before you connect it to a different PC which has Sonicstage installed. So you could transfer all your mate's music onto the NW-HD3, if he loads Sonicstage as well. The thing is then getting it off the HD3 onto your own PC... which is not possible.

"or will the nw-hd3 only connect and receive from the pc its synced to and containing sonic stage?"
    Yup.

You're best off taking it back and looking at iRiver (drag & drop) or Cowon iAudio (drag & drop) as well as Creative (you can transfer unsecured tracks to and from the player as long as you have the software). The iPod will work too since the MP3 files on it aren't encrypted, but you willl need third-party software to transfer MP3's back to a PC from the iPod.

3. tom1

tom1
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    thanks - i appreciate your help

4. tom1

tom1
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    reading this suggests that you can use an alternative to sonicstage, or am i missing something..

http://forums.designtechnica.com/showthread.php?t=5783</a>

5. extremelydodgy

extremelydodgy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +61
    Yes, you are missing something. Realplayer 10 supports Net MD devices like the MZ-N1, MZ-N10, MZ-N707, etc. It does not support the NW-HD1/2/3.

6. Thadaddy

Thadaddy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just wanted to add a few things....

It is technically possbile to go to your friends house and to copy the music he has without him having to install Sonic Stage, or do anythign else.

The only thing you have to do is to use your NW-HD3 as an external hard disk. Just save all the mp3 he has in some folder on the HD3 and when you are at home, copy the songs onto your hard disk and then transfer it from their back to your Sony via SonicStage.

This is exactly what also happens with the ipod. However, in the Sony case, you will not be able to give people the music from your Sony player because when Sonic Stage writes the songs onto the player it encrypts them.

Although with the ipod it is not that easy either because they are in some hidden folders. In fact, the number of folders on the ipod depends on the number of songs, whereas each fodler on the ipod contains about 3 mp3. So, with the ipod it is not that quick either.

7. extremelydodgy

extremelydodgy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +61