1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Totally Confused Newbie!

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by jazzygirl, Apr 24, 2005.

1. jazzygirl

jazzygirl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Please can you help? I need to buy a camcorder and time is fast running out.

I have decided that a Mini DV is right though I haven't read any review about a hard drive one and am curious about those.

I need an analogue input, fairly decent optical zoom (around 16x) and low light recording, DV in/out, and preferably a 3in screen (is there much of a difference between 2.5 and 3 inches - it looks like a big difference to me, do you get used to it?)
    I currently use a Sharp Viewcam and love using the LCD screen rather than the viewfinder.

The camera will mainly be used for holidays and family but I would like something a bit more substantial than the budget family machine. I will be doing all editing on the PC so don't need much in that dept on the camcorder. I love the size and style of the JVC GR-DX95 and JVC GR-DX97 although I find the Panasonic NV-GS150 much more comfortable. Maybe you get used to the JVC style? I don't like the reports of the noisy audio on the Canons and I have an aversion to Sony.

Any suggestions? My budget is £700 max. I don't want to pay for gadgets that I won't use but I want a machine that will serve me well for a good few years. Many thanks for your help.

2. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,393
    TBH I doubt £700 will get you all the things you have listed!

Good low light performance means having a bigger lens & CCD(s) and these cost money and therefore tend to be found on prosumer cams.
    DV-in & AV-in are also only found on the more expensive cams as the EU class a camcorder with any inputs other than just the lens as a VCR and therefore more tax is payable :rolleyes:
    I think 16x optical zoom will be a waiste as even on a fairly good tripod at full zoom you will still get camera shake. Without a tripod it will be totally unwatchable, even with steady shot on the cam.

Perhaps going second hand may get you more for your money!

Good luck with your search,
    Mark.

3. techie007

techie007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0