Totally broken Sky+ - what options do I have?

ssuellid

My V1 Pace Sky+ box died last night.

Every now and again everything lights up and then it goes back to just the standby light. Thats all it does. No menus or anything.

I'm not sure whether to get a replacement myself, get a replacement through Sky or send it off for repair.

I was planning on upgrading the box to a HD one as soon as Sky launched the service so don't want to be spending to much money getting Sky+ back for just a few months or so.

Any ideas? And costs?

Ta.

Nick_UK

Banned
Several options:

• Get a brand new one from Simply Digital for £159
  • Get one off Ebay (with the attendant risks)
  • Phone Sky and tell them you want to cancel because your box is broken, and they may offer a deal

chic

Distinguished Member
you can call sky up and ask for an engineer call out, this will cost you £65, they will swop over the box for you(will be a refurb), you can try to bluff them and threaten to cancel and they might waive the £65 charge or may reduce it

ssuellid

Thanks.

I did not mention that the box had been upgraded. I'll stick the original HD back in and then phone Sky if its still knackered.

£65 is not bad I suppose - its lasted longer than the video recorder it replaced.

Thanks again.

BTW Chic your link to your home cinema does not seem to be working.

KBD1

Got a phone call from Sky, asking if i was having any problems with Sky +.
I told them that No Signal was coming up numerous times, but no major problems.
Just switch it off for a few minutes.
Sky phoned me to ask if i would like to pay some insurance charge for any call outs that my be required, as my years warranty was about to expire.
Told caller is wasn,t interested, as i would be upgrading to HDTV when it was available, around April 06 ? Caller informed HDTV wont be available for at least another two years.
What is Sky telling there telephone sales people, about HDTV ? Nothing i presume.

MacReady

darraugh said:
Got a phone call from Sky, asking if i was having any problems with Sky +.
I told them that No Signal was coming up numerous times, but no major problems.
Just switch it off for a few minutes.
Sky phoned me to ask if i would like to pay some insurance charge for any call outs that my be required, as my years warranty was about to expire.

Sounds to me like Sky are trying to cash in on the recent bug filled upgrade with all the subcribers who's boxes have run out of warranty :mad:

jenic

Or was it sky?

We get loads of mail from loads of companies offering us a warranty for our sky stuff.

MacReady

ipod crazy said:
Or was it sky?

We get loads of mail from loads of companies offering us a warranty for our sky stuff.

That is a good point! Do Sky call up subscribers to offer them warranty?

Mep

it wont be sky most likely. A company called satcover phones and tries to give the impression it's sky without actually saying it is.

Zog

mep said:
it wont be sky most likely. A company called satcover phones and tries to give the impression it's sky without actually saying it is.

you miss this from the end of your post?......

" 'nt "

GreenBhoy

I had exactly the same issues - my Sky+ became knackered just outside of warranty (and around the time of the latest firmware upgrade). Threatened to cancel and the Sky guy offered to waive the £65 - jumped at the chance. Working fine now... :clap:

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom