Totaldigital Free 5-year Warranty

plop90

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

I am thinking about buying a Sony KDL-46X3000, and obviously I would like it to be covered by a 5 year warranty. It is not sold by John Lewis, so no amount of pricematching will help me there!

Totaldigital are selling it for £1779 + £20 Delivery, which is pretty much the cheapest out there. Also, they are offering a free 5 year warranty. They advertise this as a "Sony Warranty". They offer it on selected Sony and Panasonic models. And you have to go into their store (in Birmingham) to purchase in person.

I phoned them up and found out what the terms of the warranty are (the Empire Direct one has some dubious terms, so I thought it prudent to check into).

What they said was that the warranty was just their standard Domestic and General 5yr extended warranty, which seems pretty good. I have heard some bad things about it here, so I would be interested to hear what others have to say about it.

Apparently Sony are offering the warranty to in-person shoppers to try to reduce the amount of online purchasing. I don't really see why, when the price is the same online and instore, but hey-ho.

So does anyone else have another story about this offer, or the DomGen warranty?

I'm looking at the Panasonic TH42PZ85B which is £999 and also comes with the free 5 year warranty... again, similar price on Empire Direct with discount code EM4548 which gives 10% off but that expires today.

For some models you DON'T have to go into the store to get the free warranty.

I just placed my order online for the Sony KDL-46X3000. I didn't have to go to the store to get the free warranty, though this only works for the X-Series (and selected other high value Sony LCDs).

I can't wait to get it now, and I get the free Domestic and General 5 year warranty with it.

Woohoo!!! :thumbsup:

Which online store was that? and how much did you pay? I have tried S&V and they say I have to travel 120 miles to sign a bit of paper for the 12 months buy now pay later option. Then they will deliver the Telly to me 120 miles away!!! Crazy eh!!!

P.S Just checked and it's only a shop 5yr warranty and not a sony 5yr warranty......

What I have heard from a friend that has a D&G warrenty with a TV he bought from Unbeatable was that the retailer keeps hold of the money for the cover until a fault happens. They then pay D&G and get it fixed. This meant for him that as Unbeatable went bust he has no cover as D&G cant get the money. I am not sure how typical this is, but he actually paid extra for the cover so the "free" cover worries me. I am looking at getting a TV with 3 yrs D&G cover also.

Not true.
you have a contract,and i assume some paperwork,from D&G,so thats a legally binding contract.
i got paperwork sent through a few weeks after my tv arrived,from D&G,and had to sign it and return it.
in the event of a fail,i phone them,or my retailer who will contact them on my behalf.

I've had a skim through mine,and no-where does it say,that in the event the retailer goes bust,you dont get a repair.
sounds more to me like Unbeatable just kept the money,full stop.

What I have heard from a friend that has a D&G warrenty with a TV he bought from Unbeatable was that the retailer keeps hold of the money for the cover until a fault happens. They then pay D&G and get it fixed. This meant for him that as Unbeatable went bust he has no cover as D&G cant get the money. I am not sure how typical this is, but he actually paid extra for the cover so the "free" cover worries me. I am looking at getting a TV with 3 yrs D&G cover also.

Apparently I will get a form to fill in with the TV that I send off to D&G. No further involvement from the retailer.

Which online store was that? and how much did you pay? I have tried S&V and they say I have to travel 120 miles to sign a bit of paper for the 12 months buy now pay later option. Then they will deliver the Telly to me 120 miles away!!! Crazy eh!!!

P.S Just checked and it's only a shop 5yr warranty and not a sony 5yr warranty......

It's www.totaldigital.biz. They have a store called Premier AV in Birmingham. I paid £1769, plus £20 postage. It's the cheapest price out there that I found, and it comes with a free 5 year warranty - what more could you ask!?!?!?

Not true.
you have a contract,and i assume some paperwork,from D&G,so thats a legally binding contract.
i got paperwork sent through a few weeks after my tv arrived,from D&G,and had to sign it and return it.
in the event of a fail,i phone them,or my retailer who will contact them on my behalf.

I've had a skim through mine,and no-where does it say,that in the event the retailer goes bust,you dont get a repair.
sounds more to me like Unbeatable just kept the money,full stop.

It sounds, actually, like there is no paperwork from D&G, as the warranty hasn't actually been bought yet. The retailer holds the money for the warranty until it is actually required, then if it is required, they buy the warranty (at which point the paperwork exists) and then use it to fix the set. In the case of Unbeatable, since the contract was with Unbeatable for the warranty to be bought if required, when Unbeatable went under the contract with them became null and void, and no warranty for that particular set ever got bought. Gotta say, that sucks pretty bad.

Shouldn't be the case with Totaldigital though

Ooh - and, they have been really nice to me and expedited the delivery because I want it before the weekend - so now I am getting it tomorrow! Sweet! Thanks Totaldigital!

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom