1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Total System suggestions

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Xtrac, May 12, 2005.

1. Xtrac

Xtrac
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey Folks,

I've been asked by a mate of mine to try and organise him something, i've mistakenly been accused of knowing about this stuff!

He wants to do the following
    1. LCD or Plasma screen
    2. PVR for sky (I am presuming he needs a sky+ box for this??)
    3. PC hooked into all the above for DVD playback, DVD burning, mp3 playback
    4. Internet browsing/gaming from his TV
    5. 5.1 surround
    6. Xbox and PS2 from the same system
    7. remote control of all the above from 1 unit

Any suggestions much appreciated, and he wants it to look smart and tidy, not have a load of components.

I am also presuming this is going to cost him a fortune ?

Thanks in advance

-Roy

2. lisag

lisag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +296
    1. Easy - just buy one, tell him to check out the plasma/lcd forums for recommendations.
    2. Either sky+ or use a PC, the MCE interface is good
    3. Yep, easy any pc should do this, read this forum for recommendations on spec of machine and software
    4. Any pc can do this too will need internet connection
    5. AV amp, 5.1 speakers and connect the pc and sky+ if he gets one to it
    6. Can connect video to screen and audio to amp from both of these
    7. A good all in on remote will do this, such as the harmony, check out the remote forum for recommendations

Yes, will cost a fair bit, cheapest may be about £1000 for screen, £1000 for HTPC and say, £750 for decent amp and speakers.

lisa

3. richjthorpe

richjthorpe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13

Hi Roy,

1. Personally - LCD because they have a higher resolution and look great with an upscaled image from a PC. You'll be looking at £1000 for 26", £1500-2000 for 32", £2000-£3500 37" and £4500 for 43. If you are looking for size, then plasma will be the one at around £1200-1500 but these don't do high def.

2. A normal Sjy box can be plugged into a PC and the PC be used as a PVR so Sky+ wouldn't be needed. The problem comes in when you need twin tuners to watch one channel and record another. The only way to use PVR functions on a PC with twin tuner Sky receivers is to have 2 sky boxes and 2 subscriptions (Is the second one cheaper though ?) connected to 2 capture cards.
    You can use a Sky+ box meaning only one capture card but then the PVR functions are on the Sky+ box and not the PC.

3. HTPC with VGA or DVI out (May need a GFX card if playing heavy 3D games), Capture card(s) for Sky (Most have s-video but only Sweetspot has the ability to capture RGB), Sound can be taken from the motherboard via spdif, DVD rewriter.

4. MCE is really a front end on XP so net browsing should be simple. A top spec GFX card may be needed for games, everyone seems to like the nVidia 6600GT.

5. From the Motherboard/Sky/PS2/Xbox spdif into an AV amp. Amps start from c£300. Take a look at the Denon range.

6. Xbox to tv via Component, PS2 to tv via RGB Scart.

7. Have a look at the Harmony remotes.

Richie.