TOTAL RECALL DVD....help please!

danjaq

Established Member
Reaction score
I ordered this DVD from Amazon (marketplace)

Total Recall

It arrived today, but looks like this one:

attachment.php

attachment.php

Can anyone tell me what one they have sent please?

Thanks!

Attachments

• 24-10-05_1008.jpg
    24-10-05_1008.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 116
  • 24-10-05_1009.jpg
    24-10-05_1009.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 106
There is a little Amazon Marketplace scam getting very popular among UK sellers.
advertise & sell R2 PAL dvds as R1 NTSC, sometimes with a R1 inkjet printed cover.
Best to buy R1 NTSC DVDs from Caiman or dvdlegacy based in the USA

It may also be a pirate HongKong dvd, you will need to tell if the dvd underside is "silver" or "gold" (silver is HK)
I have never seen that cover for the SE dvd, it seems wrong.

We would need to see the DVD tops to see if you have fallen foul of this particular scam.

Looks to me like the legitimate region 1 edition from Artisan, they released 2 versions, one in a tin and one in a amaray case which i think you have got.

Hmmm. This DVD was from Caiman_com - but was not the one displayed on from Amazon site. Is the one I have an earlier SE to the 2005 release I thought I was getting?

The disc you've recieved certainly looks like the re-issued keep case version of the infamous 'Baboons Ass' tin. Artisan (now Lions Gate) haven't released a new SE just re-packaged it, were you expecting a brand new edition?

Mart_P said:
The disc you've recieved certainly looks like the re-issued keep case version of the infamous 'Baboons Ass' tin. Artisan (now Lions Gate) haven't released a new SE just re-packaged it, were you expecting a brand new edition?

Maybe I am getting confused then, have there been any Region 1 SE DVD releases of this title in 2005 .... as the info reports on the link I posted earlier? I know they recently release the Region 2 SE in 2005. What's going on people?!

I've attached a pic of the back of original tin release, the special features should be exactly the same as the disc you have just recieved.
I noticed that the DVD release date on that Amazon link is 31st May 2005, Amazon often list release dates in their product spec but this often doesn't mean that the disc is a brand new release with additional content, it may be just a re-issue, a re-pressing of a disc that has been oop or a disc released in new packaging e.g. from a snapper to a keep case.
As far as I am aware there aren't many difference's between the new R2 SE and the R1 SE.

Attachments

• Picture 273.jpg
    Picture 273.jpg
    104.6 KB · Views: 54
Mart_P said:
I've attached a pic of the back of original tin release, the special features should be exactly the same as the disc you have just recieved.
I noticed that the DVD release date on that Amazon link is 31st May 2005, Amazon often list release dates in their product spec but this often doesn't mean that the disc is a brand new release with additional content, it may be just a re-issue, a re-pressing of a disc that has been oop or a disc released in new packaging e.g. from a snapper to a keep case.
As far as I am aware there aren't many difference's between the new R2 SE and the R1 SE.

Thanks mate for your reply - very helpful. Looking at your pic - it is exactly the same (see the second pic I posted) as the back of my DVD. The reason I chose the Region 1 SE over the Region 2 was because the reviews seemed to indicate that the PQ was slightly better.

What do you think?

Wonder why Region 2 was released on a 2-disc - but the Region 1 only the one.

Thanks in advance.

pjclark1 said:
It may also be a pirate HongKong dvd, you will need to tell if the dvd underside is "silver" or "gold" (silver is HK)
Are you sure about that? as my DVDs are a mixture of gold and silver but every single one of them is legit.

Indiana Jones said:
Are you sure about that? as my DVDs are a mixture of gold and silver but every single one of them is legit.
AFAIK the "gold" disks are usually indicative of dual layer, although there is some variation on the actual colour tone (light to dark).

Proper pressed counterfeit disks don't have an IFPI number on the centre hub (to be fair there's usually 2 IFPI numbers), which is a pretty good way of identifying originals from copies, although I can't say this is always true, but to the best of my knowledge it is.

I'm not entirely sure why it came on 2 Discs over here, it's not unheard of for some DVD's to be 2-discs when they are single discs with identical extras in other regions (The R1 1-disc v R2 2-disc Sky Captain spring to mind).
I have no complaints with the transfer at all, it'll do me fine until a Hi-Def version comes along......... ;)

If it's from Caimen it will be legit.
I've still not seen that front cover before anywhere, must be a new print run.

The soundtrack is also miles better on the region 1 version compared to the new R2 special edition they released this year

cityonfire said:
The soundtrack is also miles better on the region 1 version compared to the new R2 special edition they released this year

Sure - that is good to know. Caiman have not come back to me about my initial query which is strange....but hey!

Sick Boy said:
That looks like the version I got from dvdpacific a couple of years ago. Minus the slip case that had the planet on.

Okay mate - right. I thought for a while after I opened the package that I had got something I hadn't ordered!

What do you think to the PQ and sound etc mate?

Cheers.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom