Total Recall 2070

Discussion in 'TV Show Forum' started by pags payback, Apr 20, 2007.

1. pags payback

pags payback

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Did anyone else catch this when Sky One shown it about seven years ago? For those not familiar the show was about a pair of homicide detectives that in the course of investigating a murder discover some shady links with Recall , one of the Earth's largest conglomerates. Throughout its one-year run the conspiracy slowly unfolds. The show also had a very dark Blade runner-esque feel to it and from my memory was very entertaining. If I recall correctly Total recall 2070 was a Showtime production ( Sleeper Cell, Stargate SG1).

http://www.answers.com/topic/total-recall-2070

2. WibXL

WibXL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +379
    I watched it for a bit but never really got in to it. Funny you should mention Blade Runner as it always seemed to have more in common with BR than TR.

3. pags payback

pags payback

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Glad I'm not the only one who thinks that.:)

4. WibXL

WibXL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +379
    It was as if they'd written a Blade Runner series and then found out at the last minute that they couldn't get the rights so they tagged on the Total Recall stuff, still it passed the time for the episodes that I did watch.

5. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,067
    I too though there were shades of Bladerunner, I watched the first few episodes and was not too keen then I caught some later ones and the program had realy got it act together and was sorry when it ended.

6. mistrip

mistrip

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    It's available to view on Joost Beta (Alliance Atlantis Sci-Fi Channel) if anyone has access to it.

http://www.joost.com/

7. Joe Pineapples

Joe Pineapples

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,348
    watched the entire series and thoroughly enjoyed it. It was a lot more grown up scifi than other stuff being shown at the time.

8. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,861
    Hi,

I remember this series as well, when Sky 1 have repeated it, late in the middle of the night. (I must get in touch with them, and see if they will repeat it again sometime soon!)

I really enjoyed the fact it was a Showtime series, that is, not watered-down for the kiddies; good plot lines, reasonable acting, etc, etc. It's a shame that the series isn't out on DVD, or been shown on a terrestrial channel at all.

Pooch

9. pags payback

pags payback

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

I suppose the reason it hasn't been on terrestrial is because it's too adult and unsuitable for the usual teatime to early evening showings sci-fi usually gets.:rolleyes:

10. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,861
    Pags,

You're probably right, but bear in mind the way sci-fi and US shows have been buried in late-night slots over the years, I don't see why BBC2, ITV, Channel 4 or Five couldn't air the show just once, all the way through. I mean, it's not as if it needs to get lots of viewers for ratings, as it was cancelled pretty much from the get-go, and it's an old show anyway, so the channel's who buy the UK rights to it, wouldn't exactly have to pay a huge amount of money for it.

I'd much rather it was shown once, on terrestrial TV, say at 3am, every other Wednesday morning, than be cut for an earlier timeslot, and run every single week. With the amount of crap that each of the channels airs, 22 * 45-minute slots out of one entire year, is hardly asking for much, is it.

Maybe we should try to get Five to buy the rights?

Pooch

11. krish

krish
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Astral Crescent, Zoovroozlechester, Betelgeuse V
    Ratings:
    +16,962
    is that the gratuitous breasts? :D
    - apart from that there seemed to be no swearing, extreme violence or horror/gore if I recall correctly ;)

12. krish

krish
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16,962
  13. Pincho Paxton

Pincho Paxton
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +635
    This sounds good, funny, but I've never heard of it.

14. bri1

bri1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +41
    Never heard of this before, have SKY tv, comletely passed me by.

On joost.com
    Search Results for "Total Recall 2070"

No Results Found. :mad:

15. krish

krish
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16,962
    mistrip posted that almost 4 years ago :)
    (I revived the thread just to inform people of the DVD release)

16. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,861
    HI,

The two most-recent TV showings have been:
    - about 18 months ago on Living TV, unannounced, and shown at about 2am.
    - prior to that, a complete Sky 1 repeat, roughly four or five times a week, around 1am.

Pooch

17. weyland-yutani

weyland-yutani

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +104
    it was a shameless blade runner rip-off. bad casting and cheesy performances.

18. neroon

neroon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +75

THAT'S GREAT NEWS!

Never thought this would see the light of day on DVD. Hope to get this at some point!:smashin:

19. neroon

neroon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +75
    has anyone got this yet? comments on the DVD set?

20. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,861
    Hi,

The reason it appears to be a "Blade Runner" rip-off was because both "Blade Runner" and "Total Recall" as movies were based on novellas by the same author - Philip K Dick- published as "Do Androids Dream Of Electric Sheep?" and "We Can Remember It For You, Wholesale" respectively.

As the films and books crossed-over in terms of themes and settings, that's why they both appear like they are trading off of each other's material, even though that isn't technically true. It's purely because the source stories were from the same mind, and both dealt with political intrigue, dystopian universes, future noir, technology being used and abused, and other similar themes.

I haven't got the series on DVD, but it's available to ship from Amazon Canada, for about £16 including P&P. :) They also have:

TekWar: The Complete Series (Included the 4 original movies, plus the entire William Shatner TV series, as a boxed set, for £16 including P&P!)

First Wave: Season 1 (The original fully uncut and uncensored versions, including stronger violence, some bloodshed/gore, additional adult language, all of which were edited out for all UK transmissions, and around most of Europe and the US too. Only Canada got to see them as they were intended to be seen. Price around £19 including P&P)

First Wave: Season 2 (Due out in Canada later this year, with Season 3 around mid-2012!)

The War Of The Worlds: Complete Series (Actually Season 1) AND

The War Of The Worlds: Final Series (Actually Season 2), both for £38 and £32 respectively (including P&P).

Gerry Anderson's Space Precinct: The Complete Series (for about £38 including P&P)

Dark Skies: The Declassified Complete Series Box Set (which has the discs housed in a special "Manilla Wallet" style presentation case, for about £25 including P&P!)

John Woo's Once A Thief: Complete Series (bought by Five here in the UK, to be aired on Saturday evenings, but they pulled it at the last minute, and it's never been seen of since. £17 approx, including P&P)

F/X: The Series - Seasons 1 and 2 (Silly but fun spin-off of the famous 80's movies about a movie SFX artist who uses his knowledge to trap criminals. About £20 and £18 respectively.)

The Border - Seasons 1, 2 and 3 (Shows on FX here in the UK, and is quite an enjoyable look at border guards and immigration issues. Sets cost £15 each!)

The Outer Limits - 1980's/90's version - All 7 seasons! (About £12 to £15 per season set, including P&P!)

Married With Children: The Complete Series (Every single episode, in one behemoth boxed set, for about £30 inc P&P!)

Kate & Allie: Complete Series (Cheesy 80's US comedy about two female flatmates. Used to show on Channel 4, back in the days when they were good! Set costs about £38 including P&P.)

Seems like the Canadians are getting some decent (or at least interesting) TV shows on DVD, that the rest of the world isn't! :) All of the above have the original Engluish audio, with an optional French audio dubbed track, and/or French subtitles. They don't usually have any extras though, but the low prices more than make up for that minor concern. :)

Pooch

Last edited: Dec 7, 2011
  21. krish

krish
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16,962
    ... also in case people are put off - Amazon CA's 30-40 weeks standard international delivery is a permanent typo, just drop the 0s

The Border is more like Spooks, 24 and other enjoyable thriller series on terrorists and other international criminals, following the exploits of a fictional Canadian govt trans-border security agency ... not about border guards and immigration issues
    - very cynical about US motives, so quite similar to Spooks in that respect

The Outer Limits is the revived 1995-2002 series
    - only Season 1 and some themed compilations were released in both the US and UK; further season releases were abandoned by MGM, leaving Alliance to release all seasons in Canada ... there may be nudity cuts

22. neroon

neroon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +75
    Thanks pooch, I was wondering whether or not the remaining series of First Wave would ever get released! :smashin:

23. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,861
    Hi,

FWIW, and for anyone that cares, John Woo's ONCE A THIEF TV Series has also just been released here in the UK, by Network DVD, as a 6-disc boxed-set, for about £17 on Amazon.co.uk.

Just in case, there are no subtitles for deaf/hard-of-hearing viewers and more importantly the Pilot Movie isn't included. However, that is available seperately from Amazon.co.uk, from Revolver Entertainment, as a bare-bones single disc release, for about £6.

The Canadian release DOES include the series and Pilot Movie together, in one set, so you may prefer to do that. The only other major difference, is that the Uk release is in a 6-disc thick-pack, whilst the Canadian release is in a 6-disc thin-pack - basically about the same width as a standard, single-disc Amaray case. :)

Pooch

24. Mark_a

Mark_a

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +708
    Worth getting from Amazon Canada is the series Flashpoint about a Canadian SWAT team. The American DVD release is a mixed mess of a thing, reflecting the bizarre US TV airings where they mixed up eps from seasons two and three. The Canadian DVD set has all the eps in the right seasons and the right order.

ITV showed the first season here but don't appear to have bothered with anymore of them, which is a shame as the show is really good.

Regards

Mark

25. neroon

neroon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +75
    Pooch, I was just browsing Amazon Canada and there's no sign of the second season of First Wave whatsoever:(

26. DarkDogZA

DarkDogZA

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +119
    Great Thread, I never heard of this show then again it was before I arrived on these shores.

27. DarkDogZA

DarkDogZA

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +119
  28. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,067
    Just spoted that Pooch do you mean http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0112111/ your just a decade too early.