Total Recall (1990) 30th Anniversary Edition 4K UHD

I think a lot of people who bought the new UK/US release of Total Recall have Dolby Vision and the few scenes with the horribly obvious encoding issues are basically saved by the DV, so they wouldn’t see that anything was amiss. But some scenes like the very last fade out look absolutely awful in HDR 10 due to the bitrate that is so low it would be poor for a DVD, let alone a 4K disc (1mb/s!). The issue is that this has been seen with 4K HDR discs from SC before, like The Fog, and again not really anywhere near as much on the DV layer. So somewhere the HDR 10 encoding is going seriously wrong in isolated places, which is frustrating as this new well-encoded Eagle release apparently shows that the restoration itself is great, but it’s the encoding stage at SC where things have fallen down apparently.
Are there any other SC 4K discs we should be aware of? I have a few (still unwatched) in my collection already.

There’s a lot more info on the international 4K blu-ray thread on blu-ray.com but as I recall the biggest issues are with The Fog, Red Heat and one or two of the Rambo films, although none of them to the degree of TR which I think is probably the most affected title so far. To be fair SC have also done some absolutely superb 4K HDR releases like Angel Heart, They Live and Flash Gordon, so it’s only really been a handful of titles so far. Again I think Dolby Vision also clears up the great majority of these issues so if you have DV equipment I don’t think you need to worry about it at all.

Hope that helps.

Last edited:
Where do you message them? I would like to do this.
I used Twitter as in my experience most companies will respond on there but as I said I never got a reply. If you manage to get a response please post it here.

Looks like Dodax are living up to their apparent reputation for being slow to despatch......Assuming of course, that they even exist! :rolleyes:
My copy shipped on the 16th.

Big thanks to Rebel Scum for the heads up on the Italian disc. You rebel scum :smashin:

Just don't throw away the 2012 BD if you have it, the one packed in with the Italian UHD is junk.

Has anyone had theirs from Dodax to give feedback? Cheers

I watched the Italian 4Kult release last night. I had to use the player rather than the disc menu to turn the Italian subtitles off completely. The film has a desaturated look with strong tinting so it can look a bit flat (I watched it in HDR10). It is also full of fine grain and details such as the textures of clothing and dirt on the walls. The grain combined with constant action would be a challenge for any encoder, and i'm happy to report that I did not notice any digital artefacts. It’s the best presentation of this film i have ever seen. I'd love for them to do a "Superbit" encode of Blade Runner.

Last edited:
I watched the Italian 4Kult release last night. I had to use the player rather than the disc menu to turn the Italian subtitles off completely. The film has a desaturated look with strong tinting so it can look a bit flat (I watched it in HDR10). It is also full of fine grain and details such as the textures of clothing and dirt on the walls. The grain combined with constant action would be a challenge for any encoder, and i'm happy to report that I did not notice any digital artefacts. It’s the best presentation of this film i have ever seen. I'd love for them to do a "Superbit" encode of Blade Runner.

What player are you using, out of interest?

Superbit? So you want a top of the range DVD?! :D

Does anyone know where I can get hold of the collectors edition apart from eBay?

You could try putting a Wanted ad in the forums. If some were dissatisfied enough with the PQ and maybe even ordered the Italian release, they might be willing to part with their Collector's Edition if you're very lucky.

The Italian 4K release outperforms the SC/Lionsgate 4K release fair and square.

Just went and ordered mine of Amazon.it at £23 total including shipping to the uk - My guess is you Brits bin the Italian cover and then just swap the disc out . I already own the Steelbook 4k disc uk release

Just went and ordered mine of Amazon.it at £23 total including shipping to the uk - My guess is you Brits bin the Italian cover and then just swap the disc out . I already own the Steelbook 4k disc uk release
Well...the Italian slipcover is actually very nice if you get one!

I watched the Italian 4Kult release last night. I had to use the player rather than the disc menu to turn the Italian subtitles off completely.
As per a previous user's question - which player do you have?

I have a Panasonic UB700 and from a quick inspection of the Italian release I still see Italian subtitles - not for dialogue but there was a caption when Arnie first goes into the metro station. Maybe I've just not found the right option in the player's menu, as it was a brief test of a newly arrived disc, but I didn't immediately see where to switch off all subtitles, just where I could choose the language.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom