Total Recall (1990) 30th Anniversary Edition 4K UHD

The word on the street, is that Eagle's 4Kult Collection release in Italy is a different encoding, with none of the PQ issues that plague the US/UK release. Still waiting on confirmation that the audio has also been corrected. No Atmos audio here, but I'll happily take a correct English DTS-HD-MA 5.1 track.

EDIT Confirmed, the English audio track is correct.

Available here:
Amazon product ASIN B08QKPRWVT
And here:
Just ordered from Dodax for 17something.

The word on the street, is that Eagle's 4Kult Collection release in Italy is a different encoding, with none of the PQ issues that plague the US/UK release. Still waiting on confirmation that the audio has also been corrected. No Atmos audio here, but I'll happily take a correct English DTS-HD-MA 5.1 track.

EDIT Confirmed, the English audio track is correct.

Available here:
Amazon product ASIN B08QKPRWVT
And here:

Cheers.

I think I will wait and see. As I understand it, the encode was much more of an issue in HDR10 and were mostly resolved In DV which to my eyes was pretty good except for a handful of scenes.

Are the problems on this disc macroblocking? I’ve noticed macroblocking/encoding problems on all the studiocanal 4k discs i’ve watched. The only othet disc i’ve seen the same macroblocking issues with is independence day which i think is from fox. Reminds me of the old vcd macroblocking days 😂

Are the problems on this disc macroblocking? I’ve noticed macroblocking/encoding problems on all the studiocanal 4k discs i’ve watched.
Allowing the bitrate to drop to a reported 0 Mbps at at least one point would have that effect, yes.

Allowing the bitrate to drop to a reported 0 Mbps at at least one point would have that effect, yes.

With thanks to a poster on BluRay.com.

014F3E0C-C28C-45FC-AB19-93CCB2657560.jpeg

Well that company will be wondering what hit them! Someone will be asking: “Did we price those right?”:D

I managed to get one last night. Not even watched my UK collectors disc yet 😂😂

They probably got 10 in thinking it’s a foreign import, it’s already been released here, we’re not going to shift many!

Wow, looking at the 4Kult thread on the 4K international blu-rays forum on Blu-ray.com, some comparisons have been posted and the HDR encoding differences are extremely noticeable. In particular the closing shot that I had a big issue with looks hugely improved. Oh, and as noted above the DTS-HD track is indeed the older one without the bass filtered as much.

Looks like Dodax are living up to their apparent reputation for being slow to despatch......Assuming of course, that they even exist! :rolleyes:

If there is something wrong with the SC disc do they even know about it? How can companies get discs wrong so much and do replacement programs all the time. I double dipped on they live because the disc had dodgy sync issues.

If there is something wrong with the SC disc do they even know about it? How can companies get discs wrong so much and do replacement programs all the time. I double dipped on they live because the disc had dodgy sync issues.

I think a lot of people who bought the new UK/US release of Total Recall have Dolby Vision and the few scenes with the horribly obvious encoding issues are basically saved by the DV, so they wouldn’t see that anything was amiss. But some scenes like the very last fade out look absolutely awful in HDR 10 due to the bitrate that is so low it would be poor for a DVD, let alone a 4K disc (1mb/s!). The issue is that this has been seen with 4K HDR discs from SC before, like The Fog, and again not really anywhere near as much on the DV layer. So somewhere the HDR 10 encoding is going seriously wrong in isolated places, which is frustrating as this new well-encoded Eagle release apparently shows that the restoration itself is great, but it’s the encoding stage at SC where things have fallen down apparently.

Last edited:
I messaged them after watching my copy and never received a response. I'm sure they are aware of the issue but either don't care or don't won't to go to the expense of a replacement disc.

Huge shame on the US disc. It should have been recalled. How much better is the DV from what people know? There are comparison screens at bluray.com, and the grain looks craploads better. But not sure if the DV looks that bad or not. How much better could it be honestly?

I messaged them after watching my copy and never received a response. I'm sure they are aware of the issue but either don't care or don't won't to go to the expense of a replacement disc.
Where do you message them? I would like to do this.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom