total novice, please help!

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs Forum' started by fatley, Oct 21, 2005.

Tags:
  1. fatley

fatley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hello,

please can someone advise me and help me get a good buy or throw money away!

i have seen a Samsung LW-29 A 13 W for £750 brand new (still in shop). i know absolutely nothing about televisions but am told its an LCD. The picture quality looks good to me, any thoughts please? :)

2. Doctor Hades

Doctor Hades

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +324
    You're not Italian by any chance are you because I can't seem to find that TV on any UK sites but I did find it on various Italian websites and it doesn't sound too brilliant from the specs, which are:

Resolution: 1280x768 (so it's one of the awkward 15:9 panels)
    Brightness: 500cd/m2
    Contrast: 600:1 (a bit low these days)
    Response Time: 25ms (that is terrible for an LCD TV)

If I were you I'd go for a Samsung LE-32R41BD which has the following specs:

Resolution: 1366x768
    Brightness: 500cd/m2
    Contrast: 800:1 (3000:1 using Dynamic Contrast)
    Response Time: 12ms (so there's less blurring)

It has plenty of connections alonsgside the usual SCARTS (2, 1 RGB), S-Video and composite ones, including VGA, component video and HDMI.

It costs around £100 more online but it's worth it.

3. fatley

fatley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for that, no chance of going for that then! its a small town shop but he has a good reputation!

I have just been reading some reviews on the sharp LC32P50E its about the same price but apparently its set up for UK pictures, what does that mean? Would it be better to go for the samsung? Cheers

4. Doctor Hades

Doctor Hades

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +324
    That Sharp TV has a resolution of 960x540 which makes it perfect for displaying PAL terrestrial TV on it but it's not technically HD-ready even though it display 720p and 1080i.

Unless you intend using it for watching normal TV on, I'd recommend buying a true 1366x768 panel TV like the Samsung one. This is a true HD-ready TV as it can display 720p in full (1280x720) and scale 1080i.

I've not seen the Sharp in action though, it could be a great TV but the lack of resolution to me means it's not ideal for, say, playing Xbox 360 games on it at 720p or watching Sky HD either. It can scale 720p but how good does it look compressed into 540 lines?