1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Total noob

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by explicitlyrics, Jan 20, 2004.

1. explicitlyrics

explicitlyrics

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Sorry about posting such a stupid question but im really interested in starting a home cinema in my basement. I have a budget of about £1000 for the projector maybe a hundred or so more. And would like to know what my best bet is for sound (no more than 200). I have a pc that i would like to connect to the projector along with my xbox and possibly a vcr for television. Thus I would probably need at least vga and svideo/component video on the pj. As for sound, the pc outputs 5.1 in analogue and the xbox in digital, is there a speaker system that can handle both? or is there an add-in card I should get for my pc. I borrowed a panny 1024x768 LCD (PTLC76E) projector over the last weekend and when hooked up with the xbox i could notice the pixels very easily (all be it without the Hi-qual video output pack) and was wandering if this is normal when close to the screen of 60 inches. As for LCD/DLP I am not sure, any suggestions of where I can go and look at a few models in the north london area would be much appreciated.
    Screen-size-wise I would probably go for at least 90inches and I would be sitting 6-8meters away although the pj can be mounted any distance between this (ceiling or a table I dont mind). 4:3 is ideal ratio as it would at least be able to come with all formats of media but if there is a superb pj that works in 16:9 then id be willing to consider it.
    Any thoughts on any of these questions/problems would be very much welcomed, thanks very much, Chris

2. Alan_Be

Alan_Be

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    OK, the Specs on the LC76 you had a loan of
    FEATURE
    PTLC76E

Resolution
    XGA (1024 x 768 pixels)

Brightness
    1600 ANSI lumens

Weight
    2.2 kg/4.9 lbs

Dimensions
    297 x 65 x 209 mm (W x H x D)

Contrast Ratio
    300:1 (full on/full off)

LCD Panel
    0.7 inch diagonal (4:3 aspect Ratio) x 3

Lamp
    AC160 W UHM™ lamp

Lamp life
    3000 hours (in low lamp power mode), 2000 hours (in high lamp power mode)

Brightness Uniformity
    90%

If yuou know what to look for you can see the projector had loads of power but a rubbish contract ratio, so it's obviuosly aimed at the corporate "powerpoint" market and not home cinema.
    The good news is you can do far better for less by concentrating on the HC (Home Cinema) projectors!
    As for 4:3 Vs 16:9, a 16:9 can use the extra resolution of a anamorphic signals like most DVDs and Sky widescreen (e.g. Angel on Sky One at the moment) and show 4:3 transmissions while you can't recover the extra resolutiuon on 4:3 without mutcho fiddling, so you want widescreen :)
    From personal experience I'd suggest, from the same manufacturer, the Panasonic AE300, easily available under a thousand and you might be able to make it to the new AE-500 with a bit of searching.
    I have an ae-300 and while it really needs a dark room, unless you are really being anal it looks like a real cinema, no funny lines or pixelation telling you it's fake, it's really amazing!
    P.S. 6-8 meters, that's one big room you have! Unless you don't mind putting the screen up 2-3 meters into the room you might want to look at a projector with a longer throw...

3. explicitlyrics

explicitlyrics

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    my xbox can create an anamorphic source for the projector i think so that should work out fine i suppose. What are good projectors that natively support 16:9 because quite a lot say they do but the actual lcd panel is not 16:9. As for the moving the screen id definitely not prefer this as then it would end up being mounted horribly in the middle of the room. I can always have the pj on the floor in the middle of the room right, or on a table at least (so long as no1 steps on it....) or even just move the sofa forwards... cant i? do you know what percentage of people can see rainbows in dlp, because even if I am not personally afected (or my family) what happens if a friend comes over? do you need to be shown them to see them or can some people just see them as a matter of course?
    what about the X1, Z1 or Z2? do you have any advice on those projectors and any possible problems with them. Is it true that the setup (like using an xbox high def pack for example) makes a very significant difference to a cinema experience and not just the actual pj model/make.
    Finally as for HCPC's is there a good o/s to run, like media centre or regular windows xp.....
    Thanks again and sorry for all the questions, Chris

4. Woz!

Woz!
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    When I auditioned PJs I could see the rainbow effect very clearly on most DLPs. We even looked at an 8 grand model, as it was set up anyway...I could see them on that.

I'm biased as I have a Z2, but I can tell you that it has a native 16x9 panel at a high resolution. It's very quiet and I find the picture stunning. The downside for you is that it has a pretty short-throw lens on it.