• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Total noob needs help

J

jmunton11

So my dad is buying a Sony Bravia KDL-40W2000.

I'm just keeping him right as he knows less than me.
I've just got a few questions.

We are going to get Sky Hd and we have an xbox 360 (not elite) already.

My question is what cable do i use to connect to the tv (HDMI,VGA, or component) for 1080P ? From what I've heard VGA is probably the best, but I'm not sure the tv has that.

Also will the HD DVD drive upscale normal dvds ?

Also will i need a HDMI cable for sky hd or will the sky guy bring that. If he does is it worth upgrading because it is likely to be the worst possible ?

Also we have no sound system just the audio from the tv ?:mad:

lorrebreaker

Standard Member
By no means am i an expert but the Sony Bravia KDL-40W2000 does have a VGA input.The "Sky Guy" will bring a hdmi cable, doubt you'll need to upgrade (you may as well wait and see what the pic quality is like first)
I use the VGA HD AV Cable to connect my 360, picture is excellent through it.

J

jmunton11

So just to clarify VGA will support 1080P - Full HD ?

And with it upscale normal dvds ?

the_pauley

Banned
Yes it will.

(To both questions)

Broxi1979

Established Member
Someone can correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think component does 1080p, just 1080i and VGA is always progressive scan. Also, only the VGA will upscale your DVDs

Again, someone can correct me if I'm wrong but I believe there is no perceiveable difference between HDMI cables because they carry digital signals and don't need all the fancy shielding and gold plating of the high end analogue cables.

eaglemmoomin

Prominent Member
So just to clarify VGA will support 1080P - Full HD ?

And with it upscale normal dvds ?

Yes, But does your TV accept 1080P via the vga input? Not all of them do, eg mine will only do 720P via vga so 1080P is only via the HDMI or component inputs (Toshiba 37X4040d)

The latest video from AVForums

Spielberg, Shyamalan, Aronofsky, Chazelle, Eddie Murphy and Mel Gibson - all the latest movies
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom