Question Total noob needs help with a system

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by Sands2038, Jul 19, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Sands2038

Sands2038
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi there, I have inherited a stack of audio equipment from my uncle, as well as a big box of vinyl. I'd like to be able to listen to the records without purchasing much if any new equipment and I'm hoping someone could help me out. I'm pretty sure this was never a full system, he did have a modern system which I'm presuming went to someone else. There are no cables other than power, and I'm only presuming that everything works.

We have:

Phonic MQ3400 Dual 15 Band Rack Mount EQ

x2 Yamaha P4050 power amps (4 channels)

Apart PA4060 4x60W Power Amplifier

NAD C162 Pre Amplifier

Tapco Mix. 100

Numark TT1650 turntable

x2 Mackie MR8 Active Studio Monitor

Thank you in advance for any help you can offer me

2. dannnielll

dannnielll

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +931
    Looks like an interesting mix.
    Attach turntable to mains, turn it on and see if it rotates.
    . See does it have signal out leads , probably RCA connectors .
    See does the NAD preamp have a Phono input , if so connect the RCA connectors to it...
    What connectors has the active speakers ??? . Presumably they have either RCA or headph socket types. What type of output socket has the NAD preamp...you would need to go to Currys and buy overpriced cables to connect both... Then switch on, put the worst vinyl record on and see does it play. All the other stages are just xtensions to this. Once you have a working system you can decide when or if you want to add EQ or the other amplifiers and other?? Speakers.

3. Sands2038

Sands2038
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    • Turntable rotates, we're off to a good start.
    • I think I have a RCA cable, it's just your standard red white audio cable?
    • There is a lot of phono inputs on the pre-amp.
    • Speakers have, RCA (unbalanced) TRS (balanced) XLR (balanced) So I'll need a second RCA cable?
    Added pictures for clarity

Pre-amp:
    [​IMG]

Turntable:
    [​IMG]

Speaker:
    [​IMG]

4. Ugg10

Ugg10

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,645
    Agree with @dannnielll.

Turntable into nad c162 phono inputs on the mm connection puting the switch to mm, pre out 1 on the nad to the Mackies via phono /rca cables (cheap amazon ones will do), each mackies will need connecting to a power socket as the are active speakers.

Turn mackies on and turn volume on each down to about 1/4, turn volume down on nad to zero, turn on nad, select phono on nad, turn on turntable and play vinyl. Turn up nad volume until about 1/4 way, volume should be moderately loud. From here you can balance volume on mackies with nad, try 1/2 on mackies, you should be able to go pretty loud on the nad with out reaching full volume.

This should be a pretty decent system, the nad is a good preamp and the speakers are also pretty good. The mackies are £400 per pair and the nad was a similar price if not a bit more £500.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2018
  5. Sands2038

Sands2038
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you @dannnielll and @Ugg10

It's good to know it's decent equipment (if it all works) and that it sounds a bit simpler than I was expecting.

Really appreciate the help

6. Ugg10

Ugg10

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,645
    No problem, you will need a short ish stereo rca/phono cable for the turntable to preamp (say 0.5m) and two separate mono rca/phono cables for preamp to speakers (say 2m). Amazon have loads and initially I would not spend more than about £5 per cable (£15 all in).

Let us know how you get on.

7. Adam72

Adam72

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Why didn’t your uncle set the system up for you. I’m assuming he understood how everything worked as it was his system. Anyway, I hope you get it all up and running and enjoy it.

8. dannnielll

dannnielll

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +931
    Go wiith Uggs suggestions with one possible mod. You will either hear sound or not. If nothing from the turntable , then use the mc inputs. The rest of the kit is expensive, so your uncle may well have used an MC pickup rather tHan an MM.

9. dannnielll

dannnielll

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +931
    I suspect the answer to that one was the word inherited ...

10. Adam72

Adam72

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Ha ha my bad, my apologies.

11. Ugg10

Ugg10

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,645
    Good spot, if the op can either let us know what cartridge it is or post a picture we should be able to confirm which it is. Given the turntable is a dj style on I would hazard a guess at a Stanton 500 but that is a stab in the dark.

12. Sands2038

Sands2038
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is this what you need:

[​IMG]

I feel like this turntable is the weak link, it certainly doesn't feel to be the same quality as other parts, very plastic and it needed a good clean.

13. dannnielll

dannnielll

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +931
    That is apparently a Stanton Craze cartridge, whether good bad or indifferent, I will leave to the vinylheads to drool over....

14. Sands2038

Sands2038
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As long as it works I'm sure it will be fine. I haven't actually picked up the records yet, it wouldn't all fit in the car. I can plug my phone into the pre-amp though, right? See if it all works.
    I found a cable in my 'box of doom' with what looks to be a headphone plug one end with RCA on the other.

15. Ugg10

Ugg10

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,645
    Phone should work if plugged into the cd input but depending on the phone this may be quite quiet or possibly a bit distorted as the output from the headphone socket varied from phone to phone some being a full line out to just a low level headphone output.

Wire will have a 3.5mm plug (with three bands/connection) on one end and two rca/phono plugs on the other. This can also be connected directly to the speakers (using only one rca plud) using the volume on the phone and speakers to test them separately, start with both volumes low and increase incrementally until sound is listenable (probably around 1/2 way on each). Obviously it will be mono but will test the speakers separately.

like this - https://www.amazon.co.uk/REALMAX®-M...TF8&qid=1532091871&sr=8-3&keywords=3.5+to+rca

I plugged my Ipad directly into my son's active speakers and that worked Ok (through the headphone socket).

Remember to turn everything off when you change the connections/plug in / plug out the cables. (sorry if I am teaching granny to suck eggs)

Last edited: Jul 20, 2018
  16. Sands2038

Sands2038
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not at all, I absolutely have no idea what I'm doing and really appreciate all the detailed help you have all been providing.
    Thank you again (not for the last time I suspect)

17. Spider1967

Spider1967
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Why are the power amps needed if you have an active speaker! I would keep the pre amp and the source equipment and active speakers and keep it simple if you don’t know what you’re doing.

18. Sands2038

Sands2038
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't think anyone has suggested using the power amps have they?

Pretty sure that's what we're doing, did you read the thread?

19. Spider1967

Spider1967
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nobody has suggested using power amps but also nobody has suggested that they are superfluous to his needs!

20. Spider1967

Spider1967
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Why on earth would you mention a set of power amps and ask for help if you know these items are not going to be part of the “equation” and when someone suggests they are not needed you berate them for not reading every single post. By the way people answer questions that are tagged as unsolved or whatever the word is and don’t necessarily have the time or the inclination to read every post but feel free to give information anyway and after a quick slide down the posts I did not see anyone suggest that the power amps had no use in this system!

21. dannnielll

dannnielll

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +931
    The OP indicated that he had been given a collection of audio parts and wanted to get started. .. our proposal was to give him the bare bones, without some of the fancier stuff, get him started and he can take it from there.... It was not evident to me that he had speakers suitable for the amplifers..

22. Sands2038

Sands2038
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey hey, just wanted to let you guys know that it all seems to be working beautifully, thank you so much for your help. I thought everything had gone horribly wrong when the first record I played was by someone called Venetian Snares, but apparently its meant to sound like that.

There was a slight delay when I realised I didn't have power leads for the speakers but that has been solved today. It also turns out that what I thought was a box of records, is actually seven boxes of records, so I've got a lot of listening ahead of me. Thought I would listen to it all and separate out what I like and what I don't like and maybe try and sell the ones that don't interest me and put the funds to getting a turntable that fits in with the room a bit more (currently it looks like a toy turntable on top of serious gear)

I have also added a pioneer CD player into the system, I showed my father-in-law the set-up and he later popped round and dropped off a CD player! I seem to have become a magnet for unwanted audio equipment, certainly not complaining.