Question total noob need help

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by alucard369, May 19, 2017.

1. alucard369

alucard369
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    what is the result if you plug in a 2.1 speakerset (Logitech Z523 or something similar) in the center/sub jack of the pc's soundcard...?

would/could it be used as a center sub in a 5.1 setup...?

also: could it damage the 2.1set or the soundcard to test it out......?

i already have 2 sets of behringer MS40 active speakers wich i would use as my front and rear speakers for my htpc 5.1 setup so i'm looking for a center/sub solution to hook up to my pc's soundcard

Any help/guidance is appreciated

2. Roohster

Roohster
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,064
    The two speakers in a 2.1 system are designed to be left and right, not really sure what would happen if you plugged into the centre output... I'm guessing that only one of the speakers would work as you're putting a mono signal into a stereo system.

Better to try to find a single speaker that matches your Behringers to use for the centre along with a separate sub.

Alternatively, run the system without a centre.
    Most Av receivers can create a "phantom centre" where the centre channel is sent as a mono signal to the L&R speakers... I'm not sure if PC ausio can do this, but worth investigating.