Total newbie with a D90 and some questions (surprise, surprise!)

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by Matthew Attoe, Feb 8, 2009.

1. Matthew Attoe

Matthew Attoe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Hi,

I'm new here and a total newbie as far as proper photography goes.

Have been looking for a new hobby that would get me outside a lot with my family and photography seemed to be a good fit.

Decided on a D90 after reading some pretty favourable reviews and it seemed like a camera I would grow in to - didn't really want to have to buy twice :)

Went down to the beach yesterday with my wife and son and took a whole load of pictures. This trip, as it turned out, was a brilliant lesson in how NOT to take good pictures, ha ha. But that's what learning and self-achievement is all about, I reckon. The first thing I have learnt is to switch the grid on in the viewfinder as this will help me keep the horizon level :)

I do have a few questions if I may:

1) How much distortion should I expect through the kit lens (18-105)? I seem to have quite a lot at the extreme ends of the range?

2) Does anyone else think images shot/tagged with the AdobeRGB profile seem unnatural? I found them to be over-saturated and people's faces seem far too warm - like they've been in the sun a bit too long. I found sRGB to have much more natural, life-like colours even though it's a smaller gamut.

I've profiled and calibrated my Apple Cinema Display using ColorEyes Pro software to the UGRA soft-proofing standards and also profiled my Epson R800 with the Epson Premium Glossy Photo Paper (with genuine inks) using Gretag's ProfileMaker 5 software and print using a Relative intent (keeping in gamut colours in gamut) and the AdobeRGB still seem too strong :( But the prints do match the screen pretty well :)

3) Is there a manual/documentation for Adobe Camera RAW that I can d/l to read up on? For example, some images I've opened up in ACR have a yellow warning triangle with a black exclamation mark in the top left corner and I'd like to know what this means?

4) Has anyone read Thom Hogan's D90 guide? I was wondering if it's worth the money and if it's a good read?

Well, I think that's about it for now.

Thanks for taking the time to read my post and your forth-coming patience with me :)

Many thanks,

Matthew

2. dazza74

dazza74

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,394
    1) Lenses are traditionally weaker at both ends of the scale, if your taking pictures in RAW currently the distortion could simply be down to the picture needing sharpening.

2) Taking pictures in Raw will give you more control over this IMO, you can alter the white balance for starters.

3) I've found getting "Digital Photo" magazine quite useful for learning Adobe Camera Raw.

Worth having a read of this link I feel, and the grid you've turned on in camera is mostly for composition have a look into the "Rule of Thirds"

Bernie's Better Beginner's Guide to Photography

3. steadyeddy

steadyeddy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Hi Matthew

My twopennorth for what it is worth - I have found that shooting in NEF gives much better control in post processing and the pics just seem better when converted to JPEG. However I find that ACR, even with the latest camera profiles, is not as good as Capture or ViewNX when it comes to sarting with the in camera settings. For a quick adjust after shooting I find ViewNX surprisingly good.

I have also found the 18-105VR very good. There is some distrtion at the wide end but this is to be expected.

hope this helps:)