1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Total newbie! Which 32" TV should I get?

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by Adele, Dec 7, 2001.

1. Adele

Adele

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello all,

Was considering starting my foray into home cinema with a Toshiba 32z13B TV (as per my first thread posted), but I'm a bit worried about the general quality of service from Toshiba after all the posts from folk with problems!

As a COMPLETE newcomer to all this, can anyone please offer advice on which 32" set to buy (for under £1000).

Not looking for too much gadgetry - just a really good base on which to build up a decent home cinema system.

At the moment, I have a PS2 (which I'm using as a DVD player for now) and a Sky Digibox. The Digibox is linked into my stereo (a fairly old NAD model) usinf phono connects.

Planning on upgrading to complete surround sound as soon as finances allow!

Pleeeeease help!

2. Darkly

Darkly
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I'm a newcomer too, heh ;)

But I wouldn't let the Tosh complaints put you off... they sell a *lot* of teles. As do Sony and Panasonic too, but if you look, there are actually a fair few complaints about these 2 companies dotted about this forum too....

Basically I wouldn't sweat it. If that Tosh tele sounds right for you, get it :) Majority of the problems on these forums seem to be with the larger screen TVs anyway, not the 28s and 32s.

3. laurel

laurel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Adele

Your question is quite difficult and subjective to answer, as many things go into making a "good" choice - "looks" for example, not just picture quality (it's gotta match the furniture eh?!!).

You'll probably find many differing views on which is the "best" set - but in the end most sets are OK - you just need to look out for the oddball that might have a current fault (mainly the latest models) or lousy after sales service.

I would take a look round the stores, making a list of all the suitable models in your price range, taking into account the aesthetics and then search for any particular issues with those models (i.e. look for the best in reverse).

By the way - don't always trust the picture quality as seen in the store - unless you can convince them to hook up a suitable DVD directly to each set to compare with. Even then they may not have the TV set up correctly to give you a good comparison.

Trust me on this - you'll be happy with just about any of the major brands if set up correctly.

Good luck with the list.

PS. Thanks for the reply to my post - shame you don't have the 47" Panasonic - then we would both be happy!!! :D

4. Colger

Colger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Guys - dont be despondent when you dont get many or any replies - there is a lot of good information on this site.
    As for a good 32" - Im not sure of the price of the panasonic at the moment but I have a 32PG50 (DTS decoder, PIP etc etc) and there were quite a few problems voiced on this BB. I am extremely happy with it now that it has been set up correctly. One of the problems with any TV set is getting a demo using NTSC and I dont know of any dealers that can arrange that. NTSC can throw up picture artifacts so just be aware of this if you intend to use NTSC DVD's.
    If you purchase from Courts or John Lewis or one of the retailers that have a wide range there is always the possibility of changing the model if you are experiencing problems.
    Having also experienced Sony 32" sets I prefer the Panasonic.
    At the end of the day, if you are happy with your purchase, thats what it is all about.

5. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    There have been quite a few complaints about quality with Toshiba but doubtlessly there are hundreds more who do not have any complaints. Just make sure that you are buying from a reputable dealer who will either swap a set that you are not happy with or send an engineer to correct any faults. One of the problems with large widescreens is that due to the design it is more difficult to get perfect geometry but it is possible with patience. They cost a lot of money and you have the right to insist on a properly functioning set.

Why does no-one ever mention the JVC 32AVFT1 which was Home Entertainment's Nicam set of the year. I have one and it is superb and available at about £750.

Ian

6. ultimatenyle

ultimatenyle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    got a tosh 32z17b same as 13 except with pro-logic, bass driver, invar mask,3 scarts and componet input. got mine for £700 from unbeatable.co.uk price matched against http://www.avshopdirect.co.uk/shop1/wide/tosh_32z17b.htm.

delivery men dropped the tv though which made the wss go funny, got a perceft replacement within 3 days though.

tv has brilliant picture and sound ( no cabinet vibration even with full bass!)