1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Total newbie to DVDs

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by DeerRaven, Jun 29, 2003.

1. DeerRaven

DeerRaven

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I need to hear it from people who know. I have an older cable-ready TV, I'd say it was manufactured in 1999. I have two VCRs working in tandem right now, i.e. copying/renewing tapes, etc. Is there a way to connect a DVD player to an older set? DVDs are the way to go, of course, from the standpoint of stability alone. I just hate to ditch a perfectly good set.

Thanks very much.

DeerRaven

2. wilber

wilber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    You can connect your dvd player to your tv via Scart to provide pictures and sound through the TV. If your set is a "normal" tv rather than widescreen you'll get black bars top and bottom on most most films.

To hear DVD in all it's glory you'll need to invest in some hardware - if you want to go down that route, have a browse arounfd the amplifiers and speakers forums pick up a copy of a magazine (What Hi-fi or Home Cinema Choice) but don't go too much on their recommendations.

3. DeerRaven

DeerRaven

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Wilber--

Thanks for your reply. It was exactly what I needed to know. Life'd be a whole lot easier if I wasn't given a complete boxed set of LOTR for Christmas this year!

DeerRaven

4. Hawklord

Hawklord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +265
    If it would solve your troubles I'll be glad to take it off your hands:D

5. DeerRaven

DeerRaven

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Oh, a wise-guy, eh? :-D

I think I'll work with my "problem" awhile. Right now I'm also dealing with my AC unit blowing fuses right and left. The landlady upgraded the apt. upstairs to a breaker box; me, I still get to deal with the fuses. Not only am I a total newbie to DVDs, I'm still mostly way back in the 20th Century in other forms of technology. Ain't real life grand?

DeerRaven
    "No one is ever safe on this hostile planet!"
    --Dr. Zachary Smith