Total Ignoramus in need of advice

RoddyKFC

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all, Just joined forums and was looking for a bit of help!!

I'm in the process of choosing a home cinema system for my Samsung LCD. I also want to connect my Sky+ and Xbox 360 to the system.

Was looking at the samsung HTQX100 (after being put-off the bose 3-2-1 system by bad reviews, although it sounded good in shop!!) but it only has one optical input and one set of audio connectors (Red and white).

how do i connect all 3 components into this amp? I'm assuming if i connect to the tv using the hdmi lead that i will also need to connect tv to amp via optical to get audio?

If so that only leaves the audio sockets for the 360 (connecting via vga) and nothing for the sky box? Or will the sky sound come from the tv's optical output?

Am i missing something here (besides a clue what i'm doing)??

Cheers for any advice you can offer

You don't mention a budget, but if you have a (long) read through the ddw-880 thread, it may convince you :)

If he was considering the Bose then he can certainly afford the Sony. The sony will probably be an upgrade in sound quality too. I'm certainly of the persuasion that Bose are rubbish for the money. I used to sell them many years ago and I don't think there was a single salesperson that was enthusiastic about the products on the staff. However the management were very keen on the margins! If people want to buy Bose because they like the styling etc then thats fine. My issue is when they start having to pretend its better sounding than a wisely chosen £500 system which plainly it isn't even though it probably costs £3000 etc.

I've seen the Sony 880 on ebay for £220 buy it now plus £25 postage and it features a 2 year guarantee. I'm not sure how it compares to the Sony 1000 model though?

when i listened to them,it sounded a lot better,and was probably helpes along with the far superior subwoofer,but now owning the 880,im glad i bought that,and not some semi-designer name,that costs more,and doesnt sound as good.

Thanks for replies. Ordered the sony HT-DDW880 today from pixmania! Hadn't noticed the bit about needing a euro adapter. This still the case? (need 1 for bass and one for receiver?) Wouldn't think it'd be a problem anyway.

Has anyone wall mounted the speakers and if so any suggestions on brackets?

Think all i need to do is spray the 70's wood effect black but i'll wait and see what they look like!!!

to be honest anythings going to be an upgrade from the sammys internals so looking forward to it.

Thanks again.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom