Total house refit....

Ian T

Standard Member
Thanks for the welcome this morning from all - Rather than spend the next 12 months writing chapter and verse over what I've been upto for the last 12 months, I thought it simpler to give a quick summary months, along with future intentions.

That leaves me more time to talk AV and home automation in seperate, more appropriate areas :smashin:

So, here is the house, a couple of months into the extension shell being built. For this I got a local building firm in to do foundations, build walls and put on the roof. They also did the steelwork inside to enable the original outside walls to be removed....

attachment.php

and from the rear...

attachment.php

They started in May last year, and completed by the September, leaving me to move onto phase 2: Removing the old concrete floor from the original house. This was a pain to say the least, but it was the only way I could get the floor insulated, and get my wet underfloor heating throughout....

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

It took months of jackhammering and angle griding in freezing weather to get it all out. The house was built on a concrete raft, so it all had to be cut out very carefully. You can see quite clearly the 4 inches or so original concrete, and the earth underneath one its been removed. The concrete was steel reinforced, with upto 3 meshes in some places making it incredibly tough going...

attachment.php

22 tons of hardcore gone back in, sand covering, ready for damp proof, rebar and a new, much lower, concrete slab to go back in.

attachment.php

Base slab down, all cold water and gas pipes laid. 50mm kingspan blanket is going around all the outside walls which you can see starting here. Catch 22 though, I wanted the wall insulation to meet the floor insulation but cant kingspan walls until cables are laid behind, and dont want to start loads of first fix before there is a floor to work off. So comprimise was to do the bottom bit of the walls to get us going.

attachment.php

Fast forward and we've put down a self levelling screed across the whole area, 100mm kingspan, run all the hot water and UFH manifolds under the floor through the 100mm kingspan and here have put down the UFH pipes ready for the self levelling screed.

attachment.php

Heres how the back currently looks:

attachment.php

and the front:

attachment.php

Looks great outside.... Lots to do inside. The screed is now down, and having a finished floor height means I've ordered, and just received the new staircase which I hope to fit this week.

From then on, its on with the electrics, plumbing and ventilation.

Highlights of some 'fun stuff' I'll be installing:
  • Underfloor heating upstairs/downstairs, every room on a seperate zone
  • Mechanical Ventilation with heat recovery and Rahau ground/air heat exchange
  • 200 + individually dimmable LED downlighters
  • 150 + individually controllable plug sockets
  • Full multi-room audio, including outside
  • Bifold patio doors with integral remote electric blinds
  • 3000l Rainwater collection system to run toilets, washer, dishwasher
  • Central vacuum
  • In house developed home automation kit to control every aspect of the home from sockets to heating, garage doors, security. Currently we have PCB's to drive relay contact, mains light dimming, digital temperature sensors, IR output, contact closure input.
  • Whole house CCTV
  • DIY built hot water solar panels
  • UPS for core systems and plug sockets where selected
  • Flow/Return hot water system for instant hot water everywhere.
This lot started as my wish list, and now its a reality. Its half the reason everything has taken so long. Planning how to squeeze all this in, and leave space for occupants is a struggle ! Everything in this list has either been developed, purchased or tested on one scale or another, so I know its going to work. The goal here is build a future proofed house, which wasn't cheap, but didnt cost the megabux you see behind some of the top end AMX type installs...

Yes, I'm behind schedule. Yes, I'm over budget, but its going to be fab.... Thats what I keep telling the missus anyway... :facepalm:

I'm not going to bombard this Av-centric forum with anymore of my steep building learning curve, but I'm more than happy to answer any questions folks may have, or accept abuse, or questions over my sanity... ;)

The final design of the AV is still very much up in the air, but I'll take that into one the relevant forums...

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    215 KB · Views: 278
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    236.5 KB · Views: 274
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    150.7 KB · Views: 266
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    204.2 KB · Views: 253
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    188.9 KB · Views: 252
  • 6.JPG
    6.JPG
    142.3 KB · Views: 254
  • 8.JPG
    8.JPG
    201.6 KB · Views: 312
  • 9.JPG
    9.JPG
    218.2 KB · Views: 254
  • 10.JPG
    10.JPG
    265.7 KB · Views: 294
  • 11.JPG
    11.JPG
    175.1 KB · Views: 236
  • 12.jpg
    12.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 236

SBanga

Show off :rotfl:

But looking great so far :thumbsup:

Ian T

Standard Member

Yeah, theres a danger people might think that... :smashin:

I wouldnt do it again. In fact, knowing what I know now, I wouldnt start it.. !

Thats why I'm so hell bent on getting it spot on, coz once its finished, I'm never, ever, ever (probably) doing it again.... :D

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom