Total HD HTPC Build Mark II

Stick with it mate! :smashin:

Have you got any aspects working? I am not sure my CoreAVC is being used by the internal player as I cant see a way to check it while it plays, it just does.

kmark40

I ticked "show in tray" or something like that, in the coreavc menu. I then pressed the desktop key and no coreavc sign Was showing when playing the appropriate files.

kmark40

Installed two noctua fans to exhaust at the rear of the case, so replacing the original silverstone ones. Also purchased the new ATX board, which as a bonus has a SB750 on it. The bonus feature of this is that I have unlocked my Phenom II X2 550 and turned it into an X4. I've also, at the suggestion of Razor, fitted the cpu fan (gone back to the original scythe) in between the optical drive and minja. Hopefully this will pull more air over the minja and out of the case. I've posted an aweful image of the new layout and some evidence of the new processor performance. There's now a good bit of breathing space between the GPU and S2 card.

142188d1255097922-total-hd-htpc-build-mark-ii-quadcore.png

142189d1255097949-total-hd-htpc-build-mark-ii-performancce.jpg

142190d1255098059-total-hd-htpc-build-mark-ii-img_0138-1-.jpg

Attachments

• quadcore.png
    quadcore.png
    85 KB · Views: 1,792
  • performancce.jpg
    performancce.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 1,783
  • IMG_0138[1].jpg
    IMG_0138[1].jpg
    149.9 KB · Views: 1,790
Last edited:
How it all going now then?

Kirk, if you need some DDR3, I have some OCZ Reaper PC3-15000 3Gb Kit, brought from another forum a while ago for a Core i7 build that didn't materialize, as I figured it wasn't essential to go down that route ATM.

Anyway, hope your rebuild goes without a hitch.

Edit: Seen that you purchased the new board.

kmark40

Cheers for that buddy. I would preferred an AM3/DDR3 board, but the purchase of RAM would have doubled the costs. All seems to be running fine though I have noticed that the CPU fan doesn't seem to be spinning, could that be some kind of smart usage by the mobo? The second case fan only seems to fire up as needed. They are both on LNA connections

UPDATE

tried one of the silverstone fans and it worked. looks like a dodgy scythe fan

Last edited:
Cheers for that buddy. I would preferred an AM3/DDR3 board, but the purchase of RAM would have doubled the costs. All seems to be running fine though I have noticed that the CPU fan doesn't seem to be spinning, could that be some kind of smart usage by the mobo? The second case fan only seems to fire up as needed. They are both on LNA connections

UPDATE

tried one of the silverstone fans and it worked. looks like a dodgy scythe fan

I'm sorry, quickly recollecting, it's a Gigabtye board? If so, make sure that Smart_Fan (or something to that effect) isn't on as it will control the speed of the fan in regards to the temp of the CPU. When you turn on the fan it will be a few seconds before the fan spins with this feature turned on, with it disabled the fan will run at full speed and will start to spin immediately after power is applied to the system.

kmark40

I've been having some horrendous problems.

I stupidly purchased a vtx HD 4870 from aria.co.uk. This was initially advertised with an accelero dual turbo cooler fitted. The image was removed from the site and I stupidly ordered it. When it came, it was fitted with an big ugly Hoover fan. I promptly contacted aria, carefully packed it and rmaed it. To cut a long story short, they won't refund the full amount as they are claiming the packaging is ripped. It can't be a big rip as I would definitely noticed it. Avoid aria

secondly. The onboard LAN on my mobo mysteriously broke and after much testing, was returned to scan, who sent me a replacement. The replacement won't post, so I am systematically ruling out my components before rmaing the board. I don't need any of this, whilst trying to sort out my Australian visa!

Not happy!

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung S95B QD-OLED Review - A Quantum Leap for OLED!
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom