1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

total dullard seeks help V3 v's 3 network

Discussion in 'Mobile Phones Forum' started by johnduncanson, Mar 29, 2005.

1. johnduncanson

johnduncanson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hello folks,

this is my first post - I found the site by accident and it's a delight for an audiophile like me... Hi-Fi I know but phones I don't...

Probably like a total idiot I've just bought an 'unlocked' V3 off e-bay. I can use it for vodafone, orange, o2 etc but the trouble is I want to use it for 3 but it just says sim card error when the 3 simcard is installed and the phone won't 'pick up' the 3 network when I search 'available networks' even though the signal's good.

The funny thing is that if you 'confuse' the phone by hitting the menu key as it boots up it shows 3 as the service provider but as soon as you hop out of the menu the simcard error message reappears.

I've been with 3 since the start and they're great... Have I just wasted money on a good looking but useless V3??

Can anyone offer any advice or would like to buy a V3???!!!

2. monkeynuts

monkeynuts

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    From what i've learnt, you can't use anything but a 3 phone, i.e one that has 2 cameras for video calling and 3G capable, 3 are quite hot on this as they don't make any money when you make a roaming call that doesn't use 3G (think they use the O2 network when 3 is out of signal).

I'd love to have all my very cheap minutes and a nice small phone, but it's just not going to happen! So i'm also stuck with a 3 brick phone till other networks can do 750mins and 150 texts for the £20 a month that i'm paying.

Hope this helps

3. MattyKHZ

MattyKHZ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    Yes seemsyou are trying to operate a 3G network on a 2.5G phone as the latest good phones are reffered as. With all the other operators now rolling out their 3G Networks newer handsets should be on the horizon but your V3 is only good for normal 2.5G service.