1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Total blackout

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by DigiTALGuy, Sep 16, 2005.

1. DigiTALGuy

DigiTALGuy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm planning my home cinema, and we're using a box room. I want to make it total blackout, so all the walls and furniture will be black.

I was just wondering what the best way was to go for a screen - I don't think I can afford a screen as such, so was just thinking of projecting it on to a blank wall.

Since everything looks like it's going to black, would my picture work OK on a black surface or would I be best painting it a matt white?

I'll be using a projector - the Epson TW10

Thanks

2. Mark Grant

Mark Grant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +171
    Hello digitalguy,

A black screen will have great black levels :) :D

I think matt white will be better or do a forum search for dulux icestorm I think it is called. (light grey)

Good luck,

Mark.

3. Mark Grant

Mark Grant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +171
  4. AMc

AMc
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,406
    I can recommend building a screen from an IKEA blind - it'll cost £20 and be flatter than your wall. Check the screens forum for details.

5. inzaman

inzaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,023
    Moved to Projection Screens :smoke:

6. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,276
    If you afford it screens are best, walls aren't bad at all if you put the leg work in, and then you have black out blinds. You want flat, square, boarders are nice. For me the single biggest effect is the quality of the screen material. Fixed is cheaper and possible the ultimate to aim for (no motor issues / flatness etc)

7. Peter Parker

Peter Parker
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,671
    A black screen may work with an immensly bright pj, but it's unnecessary really. You can use lens filters to reduce the lumens and get better black levels but they work even better with a recalibration to D65. Marks suggestion of a grey screen is a good compromise, but depending on the screen size, you may find the reduced gain giving a dimmer image. 6ft wide or less will be fine though I would think.

If you paint the room, I would use some black matt felt or plush velvet on the walls and ceiling near the screen. This will help minimise any light reflections when there are bright scenes, and the walls will not be bouncing the light back onto the screen (black paint is slightly reflective I've found). If you want to put black carpet on the walls for accoustic reasons, use thick wallpaper paste to fix it to the wall up to ear height. Don't cover all the walls as this will lead to a dull, lifeless sounding room and you do need some reflective surfaces.

Gary.

8. jamiev

jamiev

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35
  9. Live_Steam_Mad

Live_Steam_Mad
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    These DRH screeens look to be good, I already have an old slide projector screen that I inherited from my late father, it is basically the same but is a no-name one and quite old, but it is only 1 metre wide and it has a series of vertical grooves / lines in it that causes a slight moire / aliasing pattern on my images that is slightly irksome but that my brain can choose to 'ignore' after 750 hours on the bulb LOL. It has the same 2 inch or so black border on the sides as the 4:3 DRH tripod ones.

Do these DRH tripod screens all have completely FLAT material (no texture / grooves to it) ? (I fancy the 1.5 metre wide one).

Cheers,

Alistair G.

10. rich2000

rich2000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    How much do you have to spend ?

11. Live_Steam_Mad

Live_Steam_Mad
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    My budget is approx. 140 GBP.

To clarify about the above, the 'grooves' in the screen are about 1.25mm pitch, run from the top of the screen right to the bottom edge, and are right the way across the screen (hundreds of them) and are quite pronounced, when you look closely it looks like a kind of weave under a PVC coating. It didn't affect slide projection as there is no pixel structure on slides, but it does have a moire effect on DLP projection.

BTW I got word back from DRH, I had sent an e-mail to them saying ;-

"Dear Sirs,

I am interested in your 4:3, 1.5 metre wide Tripod Screen. I already have an old slide projector screen that I inherited from my late father, it is basically the same as yours but is a no-name one and quite old, but it has a series of vertical grooves / lines /ridges in it that you can feel quite readily by running your hand over the front white surface of the screen, which causes a slight moire / fringe pattern on my images that is slightly irksome but that my brain can choose to 'ignore' after a while! It has the same 2 inch or so black
    border on the sides as the 4:3 DRH tripod ones.

And so to my question ;-

Do these DRH 4:3 tripod screens all have completely FLAT material for the front white screen surface (no texture / grooves / ridges to it) ?

I am particularly interested in the 1.5 metre wide one. If the screen material on this 4:3 screen is completely smooth and flat to the touch then I would be very interested in one.

Where could I buy this screen?

I will be using this screen with a my InFocus In72 Video Projector, I hope that the screen would be suitable for this.

Please help"

...and they replied "Hello Alistair

To be honest the only time you would get ridges in the fabric is if the
    screen had been stored for a long time but once the screen is up the ridges
    will drop out especially on a warm day.The tripods do tend to lay flatter
    than wall screens as the fabric is being pulled taught.When you say "If the
    screen material on this 4:3
    screen is completely smooth and flat to the touch then I would be very
    interested in one." do you mean the screen surface itself ? the fabric does
    have a slight texture but we could use a pvc fabric which is in fact smooth
    if you prefer.

Regards

Andrew"

So I might be tempted to go for their PVC screen (custom job). I heard on these forums that their standard pull down / electric screens have a fibreglass backing which gives the image a slight texture, so I want a completely smooth, flat, matt white, 1.0 gain material.

Cheers,

Alistair G.