1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Total beginner - what's the best projector for my needs?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Steve237, Jul 12, 2005.

1. Steve237

Steve237

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I am about to move house and would like to have a projector in an entertainment room. The room isn't massive (about 4 metres squared) so I'm thinking about a screen about 1250mm wide.

I want to use the projector for watching Sky TV, DVD's and playing computer games.

I'm the kind of person who likes top quality gadgets (at the right price though!) so want something intermediate to high end; something I won't want to replace a year or two down the line.

I hear Sky are rolling out High Definition TV in the near future so I'll want it to support that.

Now the good news is, I'm going to America for a couple of weeks at the end of August so I'd like to decide what I want now, then pick it up cheap while I'm over there! Would I need a PAL spec projector?

I'm unsure of how much I'm going to spend on this... I suppose I have a figure in mind of around £1000 UK price . Is this about right for what I'm wanting? I hope to spend less if possible.

Any suggestions/pointers/recommendations would be very welcome indeed.:smashin:

Thanks in advance for any assistance :thumbsup:

2. cyberheater

cyberheater

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +175
    1250mm wide :eek:

Wouldn't you be better of with a plasma of LCD tv.

I think you'll be hard pushed to get a projector to throw a decent size image from 2 meters (or less).

Surely a RPTV would be better for you.

3. Steve237

Steve237

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    It'll be beaming an image from 3.8 metres, not 2m or less. That's the distance from where I plan to fix the projector to the ceiling and the wall I want to put the screen.

I'd go for a larger screen if a) my room was longer, and b) this top room hadn't got a gable roof (the distance between where the gables hit the ceiling is 1380mm)

I can't afford a decent plasma screen, plus I have had friends who have replaced them over and over due to ongoing faults.

A projector is definitely the right choice for me, isn't it??

4. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +563
    1K will get you a nice projector but be in no doubt that 1K is the low end of the market, not intermediate-to-high end.

If you want hi def for that price the usual suspects are the Panasonic AE700, Sanyo Z3 and Hitachi PJTX100.

But as Cybes says, a PJ is a bit wasted at that size. Think 2m wide and go from there...PJ :)

5. Jules

Jules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +768
    Also, projecting such a small image (in PJ terms at least) will likely suffer from 'hot spotting'. Most projectors have a minimum and maximum recommended image size as there are problems associated with both extremes.

As already said, around 5½ - 6 foot is the minimum size you should aim for.

Though I'd also agree that a Plasma might be better for you.
    As regards reliability, I don't own one so can't comment personally, but a look in these forums will see how many happy owners there are here.

I think the differences between a good plasma and a bad plasma are huge, but the prices are not always drastically different. The key is knowledge and picking the right one. You'll not find a better place to do your research than here.

6. ZippyCat

ZippyCat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    Generally you want to sit approximately 2x the screen width away to yield the bests results from a projector. In your room you could easily accommodate a 5ft – 6ft screen, as you will be sitting 10ft+ away. You can achieve good results with a 4ft screen, but why not utilise the maximum from the projector and aim bigger. You will not be disappointed!

7. cyberheater

cyberheater

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +175
  8. Steve237

Steve237

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    The only reason I chose 1.25m as the width of the screen was because the distance between the gables at the top of the ceiling is 1370mm.

Here's a photo I took (I've not moved into this house yet....at the moment the current owner has it as a spare bedroom, hence the bed. I'm planning on turning it into a music/cinema room):

[​IMG]

I suppose if I had the screen up on the wall a bit lower I could get the extra width between the gables.

All you experts tell me - am I wasting my time here? Is the room too small?

9. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +563
    Looks like it should be OK for a decent size screen.

I'd seriously consider a 2.35:1 aspect ratio screen, it will mean some zooming adjustment would be needed for 4:3 or 1.85:1 (and you'd end up with vertical bands instead of horizontal) but you would maximise the screen size for the most common AR DVD's...PJ :)

10. cyberheater

cyberheater

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +175
    Yep. A wider screen would be fine in there.

Looking forward to the conversion.

11. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,118
    My loft is similar to your room, and I had a 7ft wide 16:9 screen up there (see my link below). 2.35:1 screen will allow you to go wider though as the screen can go a bit lower and that's what I'm currently using.

Gary.