Total Beginner looking for advice and much needed help. Please

leer7774

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi guys/girls
This is my first post, great forum.
If wrong section Admin, please post in correct section
New to the forum and have been reading through it but have only confused myself lol..

Going to be doing a DIY home cinema, looking for as much help/advice on buying and wireing as I can get as I've not a clue lol...

The room is going to be a games room and cinema, the room itself is large, the length is 36 ft and width is 21 and half feet , the cinema will be up at one end, have thought about a curtain rail to seperate room when watching, would this help? Will also be fitting blinds to windows to emit as much light as possible.

It's my first one so not looking for top notch, I mean £1000"s and £1000's of pounds or the very best sound you can get but saying that I'm not wanting cheap stuff that will be disappointing sound or viewing.
Plan is a 120 inch projector screen, projector and 5.1 or 5.1.2, could add the .2 atmos later if need be or am i better going 7.1/7.1.2, I take it this gives me the surround sound etc.
Think going for a 5.1.2 setup as can't fix middle speakers to my right or left due to window on left and no wall on right...thoughts.

I See people mentioning Amplifiers and receivers, do I need both ?
So what screen would be best, what projector and speaker system be best and reciever for my budget.
Want to use a ps3, firestick for movies and possibly a blue ray player.
How do i wire all this. My mind is fried lol...
Budget is £2000 but possibly could push to £2500 if realy have too. Have looked at complete bundles but have read a few posts saying stay away from them. So basically whats the very best stuff I can get for my budget.
Have attached a cad drawing for reference 🤣
Please help. Much appreciated.
20220614_122550.jpg
20220614_122550.jpg

Hi there and welcome to the forum!

Loving the CAD document - who do you use for them out of interest? :D

Just to confirm your budget - does £2500 include the projector, screen, cabling and AV receiver + speakers?

In terms of your query: do you need an amplifier or a receiver - it comes down to the product you pick.
Most of the AV Receivers include the necessary amplification - so all processing/video switching and audio is done in the one unit :)

Your room is a good size and you have the luxury of having space behind your sofa so you could absolutely consider a 5.1.4 setup.

Your ATMOS speakers would therefore be in line with your front left/right speakers and rear surrounds, positioned a few feet forward of the seating position and a few feet rearwards too.

Are your cables already in the ceiling or is that all to do etc?

Hi there and welcome to the forum!

Loving the CAD document - who do you use for them out of interest? :D

Just to confirm your budget - does £2500 include the projector, screen, cabling and AV receiver + speakers?

In terms of your query: do you need an amplifier or a receiver - it comes down to the product you pick.
Most of the AV Receivers include the necessary amplification - so all processing/video switching and audio is done in the one unit :)

Your room is a good size and you have the luxury of having space behind your sofa so you could absolutely consider a 5.1.4 setup.

Your ATMOS speakers would therefore be in line with your front left/right speakers and rear surrounds, positioned a few feet forward of the seating position and a few feet rearwards too.

Are your cables already in the ceiling or is that all to do etc?
Hi Yorkshire AV
Thanks for the quick reply.
Haha, Yeh that cad is a personal programme designed by myself 😂. Latest software.
The £2500 budget, preferably £2000 includes the projector screen, projector, Recieved and speakers, I hope lol. Cabling etc I've just put down to odds and ends and it is what it is.
Hopeing on advice on what to buy for my budget, reciever,speakers etc.. Have thought about getting in touch with a company to plan it all out for me. It's knowing what kit to buy and match and buying it all scares me lol. Have read that speakers need to be run by suitable reciever, wattage etc. Minefield 🤣
I thought about the 5.1.2 as I gathered the atmos speakers where to be positioned over head of seating and also for budget, but if people (youself) think the .4 is possible with budget even better, or would it be better with 7.1 and no atmos.
Absaloutly nothing been done yet, just getting in new Windows so once that's done,this is next , but have complete easy access to roof void and behind walls at the moment.
I was concerned that the room was open and might loose sound, so hence thought about curtain or small partition beside front speakers, any thought.
Thanks

Hi

You will likely find that for the space you're working with, you're going to have to look at second hand to fit all of that into the budget. If you're wanting a 4K projector - even a BenQ will set you back £1k which are relatively entry level. You may want to look at doing it in smaller increments - i.e. starting with a 3.1 system but wiring for 5.1.4 up front and then slowly adding to it.

I don't think I could build you a receiver/speaker package and projector/screen for your budget as an example.

When it comes to a receiver - again, look at second hand though the market is tough at the moment on consumers (prices are high, supply is relatively low). So even a Denon 3700 with a Q Acoustics 5.1 speaker package is going to eat your budget completely - and that's with a basic subwoofer.

I think looking through the classifieds is going to be your best bet. Be mindful that used projectors can be a minefield too (i.e replacement bulbs can be a few hundred pounds by themselves).

I do have a 120" 2.35:1 acoustically transparent screen for sale for £200 (was £1k) from my demo room.

You're going to need:

• AV Receiver with 9 channels (if going 5.1.4) or 7 channels if staying at 5.1.2.
  • Denon 2700 (7 channels) or 3700 (9 channels)
  • Speaker package - usually if bundled with the above you'll save a nice chunk. You want to make sure they're the same brand to ensure consistent voicing however.
  • In-ceiling speakers - same brand ideally but less essential. Make sure you get some fire/acoustic hoods if they're not a sealed speaker.
  • Speaker cable - no need to spend a fortune. We use QED LSZH 16/2 for in-ceiling work. It's cheap at £2 per meter and is fire rated.
  • Appropriate subwoofer - I usually split out the manufacturers sub from packages and go with a REL/SVS/Ascendo sub: more bang for buck!
  • HDMI optical cable in ceiling - run from your AVR to your projector location
  • 12v trigger cable - a long 3.5mm to 3.5mm audio cable from your AVR to the projector so when you turn on the receiver, the projector turns on too

Your room appears large (though no dimensions on your cad drawing) - so you'll likely find you need to position your speakers accurately to ensure proper distribution.

Dont forget a centre speaker! If you're going for 120" screen - you could always consider going in-wall. You may get more performance for the money and it's a cleaner install too :)

Hi

You will likely find that for the space you're working with, you're going to have to look at second hand to fit all of that into the budget. If you're wanting a 4K projector - even a BenQ will set you back £1k which are relatively entry level. You may want to look at doing it in smaller increments - i.e. starting with a 3.1 system but wiring for 5.1.4 up front and then slowly adding to it.

I don't think I could build you a receiver/speaker package and projector/screen for your budget as an example.

When it comes to a receiver - again, look at second hand though the market is tough at the moment on consumers (prices are high, supply is relatively low). So even a Denon 3700 with a Q Acoustics 5.1 speaker package is going to eat your budget completely - and that's with a basic subwoofer.

I think looking through the classifieds is going to be your best bet. Be mindful that used projectors can be a minefield too (i.e replacement bulbs can be a few hundred pounds by themselves).

I do have a 120" 2.35:1 acoustically transparent screen for sale for £200 (was £1k) from my demo room.

You're going to need:

• AV Receiver with 9 channels (if going 5.1.4) or 7 channels if staying at 5.1.2.
  • Denon 2700 (7 channels) or 3700 (9 channels)
  • Speaker package - usually if bundled with the above you'll save a nice chunk. You want to make sure they're the same brand to ensure consistent voicing however.
  • In-ceiling speakers - same brand ideally but less essential. Make sure you get some fire/acoustic hoods if they're not a sealed speaker.
  • Speaker cable - no need to spend a fortune. We use QED LSZH 16/2 for in-ceiling work. It's cheap at £2 per meter and is fire rated.
  • Appropriate subwoofer - I usually split out the manufacturers sub from packages and go with a REL/SVS/Ascendo sub: more bang for buck!
  • HDMI optical cable in ceiling - run from your AVR to your projector location
  • 12v trigger cable - a long 3.5mm to 3.5mm audio cable from your AVR to the projector so when you turn on the receiver, the projector turns on too

Your room appears large (though no dimensions on your cad drawing) - so you'll likely find you need to position your speakers accurately to ensure proper distribution.

Dont forget a centre speaker! If you're going for 120" screen - you could always consider going in-wall. You may get more performance for the money and it's a cleaner install too :)
Wow
That's some info, thanks.
Been looking over the projectors and did notice the price, what I did see was I think was projectors that upscale to 4k so not actual 4k, supposedly do a great job too, any thoughts.

Think that could be a good idea ( build slowly) as I realy didn't expect the prices to be so much.

If you did build me a system, say a 5.1 for now, what price would I roughly be looking at.
Second hand wouldn't bother me, as long as it be worth money and good reliable kit. Would rather buy projector new though. But problem is I don't no what I'm looking at/for 🤣
What are the makes I would be best looking for, ie wattage, resistance, have read up about it but makes no sense to me, then reciever needing to be able to cope/power it.

See updated cad 😁
Green box potentual area for couch, speakers/system.
Red dots speakers, front beside screen low level or floorstanding. Red at rear up at height, just beliw ceiling.
Blue is couch atea but can go forward ir back as much as needed.
Purple be the screen.
Getting a dab hand at this cad.🙄
The room total size is 10 half meters x 6 half meters, but the end where the cinema is, I have no fixed sizes, it's going to be whatever I require length wise and use up the full width as I can mount speakers on the back wall at height then.

Would I be best petitioning cinema off or would it not matter, just thinking with size if room would I loose the effect of surround sound if one side is open.

Appreciate all your help and input, it's a minefield for a beginner.
20220614_172952.jpg

Also I could be interested in that screen, was thinking a 16.9, whats the difference.

Hi.
If I was going to build a system again I would follow the advice I picked up over the years, that is build it bit by bit.
Do all your wiring first and then just get whatever projector and screen (maybe DIY the screen or use a white wall) you choose, an av receiver and two speakers, front left and right. No need for a center just yet. Next, I would add a subwoofer. and then a matching center. After that, I would add surround left and right. Next before ATMOS, I would add a second subwoofer and last of all ATMOS speakers.

By doing this you will eventually end up with a quality home cinema. And you will learn so much on the journey, even if it takes a few years. Trust me you will be surprised how good a two-channel setup can be to begin with.

Hi.
If I was going to build a system again I would follow the advice I picked up over the years, that is build it bit by bit.
Do all your wiring first and then just get whatever projector and screen (maybe DIY the screen or use a white wall) you choose, an av receiver and two speakers, front left and right. No need for a center just yet. Next, I would add a subwoofer. and then a matching center. After that, I would add surround left and right. Next before ATMOS, I would add a second subwoofer and last of all ATMOS speakers.

By doing this you will eventually end up with a quality home cinema. And you will learn so much on the journey, even if it takes a few years. Trust me you will be surprised how good a two-channel setup can be to begin with.
Forgot to mention room treatment. Sound absorption panels. DIY or purchase them. In any case, they are an essential part of a home cinema. I would do this early on and as the system grows.

Forgot to mention room treatment. Sound absorption panels. DIY or purchase them. In any case, they are an essential part of a home cinema. I would do this early on and as the system grows.
Hi MQJ
Thankyou for the reply also.
Yeh looks like this is the way I need to go unfortunately, bit by bit, want the full benefits straight away but hey ho, can't 🤣😂
From reading the forum I've picked up alot, it's a great place.
If I put a curtain across will I only need to add sound absorption in the viewing area.
Again thanks for your input

@leer7774

I think the Epson TW-7000 is one of the best from the "cheap" ones. Should also be fairly silent (24db) in ECO mode reading the reviews. Often these cheap small units are noisy and it can spoil the viewing if not blasting loud enough, my Benq was like putting vacuum cleaner on so annoying. This also comes with lens shift which helps getting the picture right. The dealer below gives further 2year warranty so 4years total which is nice.

Buy the screen used! The Yorkshire 200£ - 120" sounds very good for a 1k£ at-screen. Some extra cost for the shipping with van.

I don`t know how you going to get the rest as those would cost let`s say 1400£ already. You would have roughly 1100£ to spend. X3700H costs 985£ and if Denon introduces new models in few month time it could drop further down. Buying used one without warranty is quite risky. I would only consider Yamaha Aventage then (A1000-3000 serie), but that would still cost probably around 400-700£. Probably closer to latter. All receiver prices are sky high atm. Some asking more than they paid few years ago as new, crazy!

Then you need to have at least 300-500£ for the front main speakers incl. stands so you could start with 2.0 / 2.1. Unless you specifically want larger floorstanders which will cost 800-1000£. The Q Acoustics 3050i are very cheap now (450£) but i would always look which kind of center channel X brand has first. Sadly QA has went with "keeping the wife happy" route over performance with the small 3090Ci (tiny 4" drivers). We have had quite many members wanting to swap it, some have even mixed brands at the front LCR and it has made big difference as they not been happy. I`m not sure do you know but the center channel is actually the most active speaker in your system as it carries something like 70% of entire soundtrack. The 3050i are quite large speakers with dual 6,5" drivers so it´s not the most ideal combination. Sure they are closely tonally matched and likely fine for normal UK lounge with nagging wife who won´t let you listen loud. For your larger cinema room / man cave i would want something better.

For subwoofer you would spend 550-700£ roughly as minium. The total space makes it quite tricky as you have over 5000cuft. Two large ported subwoofers with 12" drivers should be minium what i would consider there. There is now possibility to make great purchase as the model is being discontinued so the price is low about 700£. The trick is you have contact them via email and ask discount code. Say you heard people getting -15% off from this model which is going to be discontinued soon. Closest competitor would be SVS PB2000 Pro at 1169£ so you are getting the sub for amazing low price. We are talking very high performing sub with THX Ultra certification, great build quality and how these sound you can read from many forums they are so clean sounding. Only nitpick could be that as it will be sold out at some point and if you add 2nd sub then you have to find either used one or buy the new M12 V2. Basically the performance is same, but the cabinet is slightly different looking with more rounded edges. I think it wouldn´t be issue if you were to place them diagonally opposite front rear positions assuming that gives you smoothest response. However both at front then it could look bit strange depending how strict you are.

The cheaper alternative could be example BK Monolith Plus. Direct to customer business model and made in UK. These are older models with also older technology (class a/b amps vs. class D) and 2year warranty vs. 5years with Monoprice. Also you take some beating in the performance too. I think they would be close to 550£ shipped on pallet. Big and heavy boxes. There is two new grade-b available. Usually in fully mint shape. The company selling these is same as BK Electronics (bkelec.com) just a different ebay account.

So now you have some type of idea how much you need to spend as minium. Perhaps quick visit to bank again. 😆 Or if you buy the projector with finance a.k.a pay monthly, so using the 2500£ you have for speakers, stands, sub and receiver plus the used screen. You would then have 2.1 system which you would slowly expand.

Last edited:
-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
@leer7774

I think the Epson TW-7000 is one of the best from the "cheap" ones. Should also be fairly silent (24db) in ECO mode reading the reviews. Often these cheap small units are noisy and it can spoil the viewing if not blasting loud enough, my Benq was like putting vacuum cleaner on so annoying. This also comes with lens shift which helps getting the picture right. The dealer below gives further 2year warranty so 4years total which is nice.

Buy the screen used! The Yorkshire 200£ - 120" sounds very good for a 1k£ at-screen. Some extra cost for the shipping with van.

I don`t know how you going to get the rest as those would cost let`s say 1400£ already. You would have roughly 1100£ to spend. X3700H costs 985£ and if Denon introduces new models in few month time it could drop further down. Buying used one without warranty is quite risky. I would only consider Yamaha Aventage then (A1000-3000 serie), but that would still cost probably around 400-700£. Probably closer to latter. All receiver prices are sky high atm. Some asking more than they paid few years ago as new, crazy!

Then you need to have at least 300-500£ for the front main speakers incl. stands so you could start with 2.0 / 2.1. Unless you specifically want larger floorstanders which will cost 800-1000£. The Q Acoustics 3050i are very cheap now (450£) but i would always look which kind of center channel X brand has first. Sadly QA has went with "keeping the wife happy" route over performance with the small 3090Ci (tiny 4" drivers). We have had quite many members wanting to swap it, some have even mixed brands at the front LCR and it has made big difference as they not been happy. I`m not sure do you know but the center channel is actually the most active speaker in your system as it carries something like 70% of entire soundtrack. The 3050i are quite large speakers with dual 6,5" drivers so it´s not the most ideal combination. Sure they are closely tonally matched and likely fine for normal UK lounge with nagging wife who won´t let you listen loud. For your larger cinema room / man cave i would want something better.

For subwoofer you would spend 550-700£ roughly as minium. The total space makes it quite tricky as you have over 5000cuft. Two large ported subwoofers with 12" drivers should be minium what i would consider there. There is now possibility to make great purchase as the model is being discontinued so the price is low about 700£. The trick is you have contact them via email and ask discount code. Say you heard people getting -15% off from this model which is going to be discontinued soon. Closest competitor would be SVS PB2000 Pro at 1169£ so you are getting the sub for amazing low price. We are talking very high performing sub with THX Ultra certification, great build quality and how these sound you can read from many forums they are so clean sounding. Only nitpick could be that as it will be sold out at some point and if you add 2nd sub then you have to find either used one or buy the new M12 V2. Basically the performance is same, but the cabinet is slightly different looking with more rounded edges. I think it wouldn´t be issue if you were to place them diagonally opposite front rear positions assuming that gives you smoothest response. However both at front then it could look bit strange depending how strict you are.

The cheaper alternative could be example BK Monolith Plus. Direct to customer business model and made in UK. These are older models with also older technology (class a/b amps vs. class D) and 2year warranty vs. 5years with Monoprice. Also you take some beating in the performance too. I think they would be close to 550£ shipped on pallet. Big and heavy boxes. There is two new grade-b available. Usually in fully mint shape. The company selling these is same as BK Electronics (bkelec.com) just a different ebay account.

So now you have some type of idea how much you need to spend as minium. Perhaps quick visit to bank again. 😆 Or if you buy the projector with finance a.k.a pay monthly, so using the 2500£ you have for speakers, stands, sub and receiver plus the used screen. You would then have 2.1 system which you would slowly expand.
Hi Gasp 3621.
Thanks very much for your input.
The Epsom name and Ben Q seem to be mentioned alot I've noticed, will check the TW7000 out, have also seen that the Ben Q ones can be quite noisy.
Yes Yorkshire man has been very helpful along with others, I will be contacting him nearer time when more ready.
The Denon name also mentioned alot, I gather this is the favoured brand, I think I need to build my system bit by bit to enable to get better gear, a thought is maybe buying older gear if can source it, like older models,ie ie denon x2500 been mentioned on other posts, just a thought, but maybe this not a good idea due to compatibility or something.
As for the speakers, ideally I would prefer floorstanding fro ts L/R, largish ones.
I am aware, thanks to the forum of how important the centre speaker is, so is it best to buy all 3 together, same make.
The actual size if the room is large, but cinema will be up at one end width way, so not using the whole room, the room will have a snooker table,darts etc also.
So think it will be slow process, build slowly, didn't realise the cost, one thing to mention is this is my first cinema, so would I actualy here the difference from middle of range stuff to the expensive stuff, am I just as well to be good brand but lower end.
The mire I read the more confusing and mind boggling it gets 😂🤣
One thing for sure is I greatly appreciate all the help and comments.

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
denon x2500 been mentioned
Your room will benefit from the better Audyssey room calibration than that found on the X2500 that is Audyssey XT. Look for X3XXX models which have the much better XT32 onboard. The newer X3XXX models will also have enough channels to help you expand should you so wish.

I am aware, thanks to the forum of how important the centre speaker is, so is it best to buy all 3 together, same make.
Preferable to allow timbre to be maintained when panning across the front soundstage, the centre is perhaps the most important speaker of any surround set up. Although it's best, if possible, to have the surrounds from the same manufacturer that is certainly not written in stone and you can have a different make for those speakers.

Your room will benefit from the better Audyssey room calibration than that found on the X2500 that is Audyssey XT. Look for X3XXX models which have the much better XT32 onboard. The newer X3XXX models will also have enough channels to help you expand should you so wish.

Preferable to allow timbre to be maintained when panning across the front soundstage, the centre is perhaps the most important speaker of any surround set up. Although it's best, if possible, to have the surrounds from the same manufacturer that is certainly not written in stone and you can have a different make for those speakers.
Gibbsy
Nice 1, thanks for that, will pay clearer attention to those models, need to sit down and have a good read up of them all.

Hi Gasp 3621.

The Denon name also mentioned alot, I gather this is the favoured brand, I think I need to build my system bit by bit to enable to get better gear, a thought is maybe buying older gear if can source it, like older models,ie ie denon x2500 been mentioned on other posts, just a thought, but maybe this not a good idea due to compatibility or something.
As for the speakers, ideally I would prefer floorstanding fro ts L/R, largish ones.
The actual size if the room is large, but cinema will be up at one end width way, so not using the whole room, the room will have a snooker table,darts etc also.
So think it will be slow process, build slowly, didn't realise the cost, one thing to mention is this is my first cinema, so would I actualy here the difference from middle of range stuff to the expensive stuff, am I just as well to be good brand but lower end.
The mire I read the more confusing and mind boggling it gets 😂🤣
One thing for sure is I greatly appreciate all the help and comments.

Used unit might not have transferable warranty and it becomes risk then. It could last long time or not and then you will pay lot more repairing it. It´s quite nice that you can get 5-6year warranty for new Denon. In Europe many countries doesn´t have this, it´s always 2years. If you buy used unit you want the older X3600H / Marantz SR601x if you fancy .4 atmos system, so make sure the unit is "9.2"! The X2000 serie is stuck on 5.2.2 (7.2). I would play safe even if you wouldn´t be yet fully sold on .4 atmos cause the mind can change and often will.

If you want bigger floorstanders then they will cost more, but they do look better and with the big room that is often what many wants. If you have dreamed of them longer time then follow the plan you have. I would try to push everything (tv, couch,speakers) little bit more toward the snooker table if possible so you don´t have to put the right hand side speaker in corner/ too close to side wall cause if the tv is closer to side wall then the front mains would also be close together, this is not what you want! Could the snooker table be turned around taking less space so you would have more space for the system?

Keep in mind that speakers are often kept long time and this hobby can become expensive for some folks if you spend lot of time in forums you start to crave something better. So buying the cheapest stuff vs. middle ground, i would choose the latter cause it will likely keep you satisfied longer. Don´t forget the finish/looks play also some role in the decision making as you watch them daily for years so even if you find some great deal i wouldn´t buy "ugly/i think i can live with this finish even if it`s not for my taste" speakers cause it can start to haunt you later.

The subwoofer i mentioned goes for 675£ with the discount code as other member had asked about it (Monolith 12 THX). Just keep in mind when it´s sold out then you have to spend little bit more (~850£) for the M12 V2 or the BK i linked, but i feel the Mono 12 is just too good deal to be missed considering your room. Email if you want to ask the -15% discount code and could possibly order it: uksupport@monoprice.com

Having not had a home cinema is there much diffetence in having 2 or 4 atmis speakers.
Will be buying new I think, be pondering about used but think just going to take time building it up and get new.

Unfortunetly snooker table needs to go that way but I can still move couch up closer, just need to get my measurements sorted out, position of screen then find out how much space I idealy need from wall to speaker
Used unit might not have transferable warranty and it becomes risk then. It could last long time or not and then you will pay lot more repairing it. It´s quite nice that you can get 5-6year warranty for new Denon. In Europe many countries doesn´t have this, it´s always 2years. If you buy used unit you want the older X3600H / Marantz SR601x if you fancy .4 atmos system, so make sure the unit is "9.2"! The X2000 serie is stuck on 5.2.2 (7.2). I would play safe even if you wouldn´t be yet fully sold on .4 atmos cause the mind can change and often will.

If you want bigger floorstanders then they will cost more, but they do look better and with the big room that is often what many wants. If you have dreamed of them longer time then follow the plan you have. I would try to push everything (tv, couch,speakers) little bit more toward the snooker table if possible so you don´t have to put the right hand side speaker in corner/ too close to side wall cause if the tv is closer to side wall then the front mains would also be close together, this is not what you want! Could the snooker table be turned around taking less space so you would have more space for the system?

Keep in mind that speakers are often kept long time and this hobby can become expensive for some folks if you spend lot of time in forums you start to crave something better. So buying the cheapest stuff vs. middle ground, i would choose the latter cause it will likely keep you satisfied longer. Don´t forget the finish/looks play also some role in the decision making as you watch them daily for years so even if you find some great deal i wouldn´t buy "ugly/i think i can live with this finish even if it`s not for my taste" speakers cause it can start to haunt you later.

The subwoofer i mentioned goes for 675£ with the discount code as other member had asked about it (Monolith 12 THX). Just keep in mind when it´s sold out then you have to spend little bit more (~850£) for the M12 V2 or the BK i linked, but i feel the Mono 12 is just too good deal to be missed considering your room. Email if you want to ask the -15% discount code and could possibly order it: uksupport@monoprice.com

I'd seriously look at the classifieds for kit, especially speakers. I've saved about £20k by doing this over the last 8 years.

I second this - perhaps 10% of budget could go on acoustic treatment. Or if not, you can choose and place furniture in a way that will do much of the work for you. I.e. heavy soft furnishings - curtains, sofas etc

That's a good point, never thought about warranty, but depending where you buy from, a warranty might still be obtainable, but think be buying new anyway.
Would prefer floorstanding, but nothing fixed in stone yet, still got to finalise position if snooker table, once that's sorted I will have a better idea of the exact space I will have for the screen and speakers.
Don't plan on buying cheap, plan on middle of ground at the moment, upgrade later but just want to get system set up and useable first, within budget or near to it if can.

If you want a 120" screen

According to thx you would sit 13.4' from the screen

Placing the screen opposite the curtain would give you balanced acoustics.

Open the curtain for better sound while playing snooker.

Increase screen size if cinema becomes priority.

In a big room you need speakers that can play loud and clean.

The loudest peaks I listen 90db.

Start with stereo.

You will need a sub.

If you want a 120" screen

According to thx you would sit 13.4' from the screen

Placing the screen opposite the curtain would give you balanced acoustics.

Open the curtain for better sound while playing snooker.

Increase screen size if cinema becomes priority.

In a big room you need speakers that can play loud and clean.

The loudest peaks I listen 90db.

Start with stereo.

You will need a sub.

Thank you very much for the info, a bit co during for me but Thankyou anyway, think I need someone to maybe design or something for me lol.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom