1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TOSLINK OR COAX OVER 12-14m ?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by chris l., Nov 12, 2003.

1. chris l.

chris l.

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    My system will shortly consist of:

Sanyo Z2 projector and Samsung HD935 DVI dvd player (decided to keep the 935 nearer to the Z2 to keep the DVI cable length acceptable).

Denon DVD2200 feeding (NTSC / PAL Progressive to a Panasonic TX36PD30 and component to Z2

Both 2200 and 935 will need to feed digital audio to my Denon 3802 (has 2 optical and 1 coaxial in)

From the 935 is will be a circa 10m feed and from the 2200 it will be a max 1m feed.

What is the best way to feed the signals to the amp ?

I'm thinking 10m coax from 935 and 1m optical from 2200.

Is their any rules of thumb on max lengths for optical toslink / coax cables.

Thanks in advance.

Regards

Chris L.

:confused:

2. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I think that the rule would be that a long cable is probably best as an optical BUT it needs to be a good optical which probably means that the cost will be frankly enormous. So for the minute difference, it is probably better to get a long coax at a fraction of the price.

So your 10m coax and 1m optical sounds pretty reasonable t me.

Ad

3. Mylo

Mylo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +372
  4. Ruu

Ruu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'll get flamed, I know I will, but I have thick skin so who cares. I too had more or less this exact decision. I needed to connect my PC (with coax and optical outs) to my receiver across a room, which requires roughly 25 feet of cable. Originally the PC was next to the receiver, so I used a reasonable quality 1m monster optical cable - sounded really good to my ears. Then the room got re-arranged when I got my projector so that the sound was oriented the same direction for both PC and HT use. In my desparation to get the thing connected (while I figured out what to do with either a decent coax or long optical cable), I wandered over to ye olde Radio Shacke and purchased myself a 24foot composite video cable for the princely sum of $5. I guess Im blessed with insensitive ears, but I can't tell the difference, and for the non audiophiles out there it might be worth dropping 5 dollars to see whether you can too.

Dave

5. overkill

overkill

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,192
    Electrical cable is normally better than toslink, but over distance the advantage swings back to optical. Try a reasonable priced optical, and if that's a no go get a long co-ax and cross fingers!!

Mind you with digital cable it's all a big con anyway!! See HI-FI choice issue 239. Canford Audio did an experiment using wet string to transfer digital signals from a CD player to DAC. It worked, and with no audible degradation!! Oops!!!! :D

6. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    It needs to be a salt solution and the certainly didn't say the was NO AUDIBLE DEGREDATION but yes it does work, mind you so do coat hangers :)

at the distances you are talking about dececnt quality cable should have no problems with accurate transmission of data. I am sure I have seen 30m TOSLINK. Get the basics right and these signals can go long distances, SDI as well

7. gunrock

gunrock
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Anecdotal, maybe:

I've got an 11m digital co-ax linking up my DVD player to my amp. Whilst I haven't tried optical, it seems all good to me, and my amp doesn't stutter or dropout when I'm listening to music or watching movies.

Gunrock

8. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Make sure to use a 75 Ohm coax only (if you choose coax).