TOSLINK Optical splitter - Advice

Tempest

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm in need of a splitter for an optical Toslink cable.

Basically, my amp only has 1 optical in and I wish to pass (not at the same time!) either my Xbox360 of my DVD Players optical sound to it, via a normal Toslink cable.

So, I need a box where I can plug the other ends (one from the 360, the other fron the DVD player) into, and then from the box to my Amps optical in.

We're only talking short cable? runs here, 1 or 1.5 metre type stuff.

I'm worried about signal loss/degradation.

Is this something you need to worry about with optical cables?

I've seen some manually switchable splitters and also some where you just plug it all together and it works.

Such as the ones on Ebay here (both types)
http://search.ebay.co.uk/search/sea...maxRecordsPerPage=50&SortProperty=MetaEndSort

Would any of these be any good, or something better, or what?

I just want something that works and does not degrade the signal/sound.

Many thanks.

An optical signal can't really be degraded, unless the cables or the switch are really bad. It'll either work, or it won't.

I've never needed to use a splitter/combiner, but people here have recommended the one sold by Maplin. I'd avoid the cheap "no-name" units. They may be OK, but they may break with constant use.

clockworks said:
An optical signal can't really be degraded, unless the cables or the switch are really bad. It'll either work, or it won't.

I've never needed to use a splitter/combiner, but people here have recommended the one sold by Maplin. I'd avoid the cheap "no-name" units. They may be OK, but they may break with constant use.

Thanks.
I just wondered about the optical path quality within the switcher unit.
Light bouncing around if the thing was not make well, or the optical bit was not very well (cleanly) made.

Will look at Maplins and see if I can find it.

i have that optical switcher and got it from cable universe.

it works perfect with no loss of sound quality and does exactly what i wanted (3 optical devices into 1 amp input) it is plastiky and very cheap looking but works perfectly and i have it hidden away behind my equipment.

for the cable universe asking price you cant go wrong:D

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom