bwfc0907

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hi

I am buying a TOSLink 3 way switch for
Sky
PS4 Pro
Laptop

They are are all so I can get DTS as my receiver doesn't support 4K so need the source for picture direct to TV and TOSLink to switch connected to the receiver. My receiver only supports ARC 2.0.

Do I need a switch that supports 192Khz or 96Khz?

Any good links?

Cheers

Well given DTS is 48KHz either would be fine. Does your laptop have optical ?

Well given DTS is 48KHz either would be fine. Does your laptop have optical ?
Thanks, laptop doesn't, would need an external sound card.

Having tried my laptop on TV this morning it looks no better on large screen so not going to bother.

What TV have you got ? Some newer ones support DTS etc over ARC now. This was a limitation of the TV rather than the amp. You could then plug your sources into your TV and then use ARC to hear them.

Assume you have Sky Q as otherwise just route through the amp.

What's wrong with the laptop display? Have you made sure it is 1920x1080 output ? Is that the native display of the laptop?

What TV have you got ? Some newer ones support DTS etc over ARC now. This was a limitation of the TV rather than the amp. You could then plug your sources into your TV and then use ARC to hear them.

Assume you have Sky Q as otherwise just route through the amp.

What's wrong with the laptop display? Have you made sure it is 1920x1080 output ? Is that the native display of the laptop?
ARC on receiver only 2.0

Yes Sky Q

Laptop is 4K but suffers with tearing on TV. PS4 Pro with HDR enabled games look better so will stick to that way.

ARC supported up to 5.1 channels afaik it has done. Often you get 5.1 from the TV internal functions e.g. Netflix etc.

What they didn't do is pass 5.1 from an external device connected via HDMI.

That's been fixed in a number of new TVs so you can do it. Worth checking before you spend any more money.

Is the laptop tearing on games, if so have you locked the VSync on the games as that is the usual issue with tearing etc.

ARC supported up to 5.1 channels afaik it has done. Often you get 5.1 from the TV internal functions e.g. Netflix etc.

What they didn't do is pass 5.1 from an external device connected via HDMI.

That's been fixed in a number of new TVs so you can do it. Worth checking before you spend any more money.

Is the laptop tearing on games, if so have you locked the VSync on the games as that is the usual issue with tearing etc.

I only have 1 input to my receiver for surround sound but 3 devices so will need a Toshlink Switch?

According to this the website the TV will pass DTS and DD 5.1 through ARC.

5.1 Surround Sound Passthrough on TVs

ARC wasn't limited at the amp end usually and nothing in the manual that says it is (or TV).

Have you tried it yet to see?

This is the cheapest solution.

According to this the website the TV will pass DTS and DD 5.1 through ARC.

5.1 Surround Sound Passthrough on TVs

ARC wasn't limited at the amp end usually and nothing in the manual that says it is (or TV).

Have you tried it yet to see?

This is the cheapest solution.
I've tried ARC but only ever get 2.0. I've turned it on for the receiver but no joy?

Sorry and daft question you did enable DD etc in both menus ?

So you need to enable HDMI CEC and ARC on both the Amp and the TV. You also need to tell Sky to output DD over HDMI too as otherwise over HDMI it used to default to 2.

Def did Receiver but couldn't find on tv as it has dedicated arc on HDMI connections. Did everything else?

What do you mean by 2?

So you need to enable HDMI CEC and ARC on both the Amp and the TV. You also need to tell Sky to output DD over HDMI too as otherwise over HDMI it used to default to 2.
So do I need an input or output on the receiver with Arc?

ARC to the amp goes into the TV out.
No sound at all on Sky or inbuilt apps. I disconnected PS4 whilst I test.

Any other thoughts?

Do I have to enable ARC for TV anywhere as can't find a setting?

What source on the Receiver do I set to get ARC sound? Will it be DVD player?

Last edited:
ARC can be a PITA to get working but as its Samsung both items it should work. Its also called Anynet+ I believe so check the settings under that. You might also have to physically unplug some of the kit for it to work properly the first time.

Under the sound settings on the TV you should be able to choose the sound output. Not familiar with your TV but can you select external speakers?

Under the sound settings on the TV you should be able to choose the sound output. Not familiar with your TV but can you select external speakers?
Yeah, works with optical with 5.1 on Sky. Was hoping if can get ARC working I wouldn't need a 3 way Toshlink switch.

I'm out of ideas?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom