Toslink audio issue, involving a broken socket.

Uptown

Novice Member
Good afternoon everybody!

I have a Toshiba 4k TV with the following outputs located at the back of the unit;

Now, I want to use my soundbar that had a toslink input but unfortunately, the socket on the back has broken and won't seat/hold in the other end of the cable. I understand that this "socket" issue is both commonplace and annoying. So, without trying the "tape/blue tak" hacks that are out there on the web, can I use one of these, Amazon product, to solve my digital connection issue? Is there much sound difference if I just use the RL and WR wire connectors straight to the soundbar? I have set it up with the Bluetooth connection but I get echoing issues.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210612-114323.png
    Screenshot_20210612-114323.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 20

EndlessWaves

Distinguished Member
That's fine.

I don't remember if Toshiba made any 4K TVs before they licenced out their badging so I don't know if yours is definitely a budget TV or not but I'd certainly expect the quality to be at least as good as a low end TV.

You will lose any surround sound information though, if you've got a soundbar that uses that and you have the feature turned on.

Uptown

Novice Member
That's fine.

I don't remember if Toshiba made any 4K TVs before they licenced out their badging so I don't know if yours is definitely a budget TV or not but I'd certainly expect the quality to be at least as good as a low end TV.

You will lose any surround sound information though, if you've got a soundbar that uses that and you have the feature turned on.
Thank you for the reply. If it helps, the model number of the TV is Toshiba 58U2963DB.

I found some old red/white leads and connected the soundbar but, no audio is coming through, (might be dodgy leads). So that convertor might do the job? I'm thinking r/w from the TV, into the box, then toslink from box to soundbar, or am I completely wrong?

JayCee

Distinguished Member
Yes, you're completely wrong.
The only audio out at that connection panel on your TV is the Optical.
The Phono sockets are inputs not outputs.
You'd use the optical out from the TV into the DAC then the stereo L/R Phono's on the DAC to the Aux input of your soundbar.
If no sound make sure you've selected the Aux input as the source on your soundbar and go into your TV's digital audio out and change it to PCM if it's set to Dolby Digital.

Uptown

Novice Member
Yes, you're completely wrong.
The only audio out at that connection panel on your TV is the Optical.
The Phono sockets are inputs not outputs.
You'd use the optical out from the TV into the DAC then the stereo L/R Phono's on the DAC to the Aux input of your soundbar.
If no sound make sure you've selected the Aux input as the source on your soundbar and go into your TV's digital audio out and change it to PCM if it's set to Dolby Digital.
I see.☹️ Unfortunately, the optical out has damaged housing, preventing the lead from sitting in. So my soundbar is of no use then? If so, I have no way of adding to the sound of my TV speakers, because when I Bluetooth the speaker to the TV, I either get echoing issues or when I turn down the TV speakers, I then get lip sync issues?

JayCee

Distinguished Member
The way you laid out your post I read it as the optical input on your soundbar was broken.
So is it the TV or the Soundbar's optical socket that's broken?
Apologies if you’re aware of this (but it's caught many out)…have you removed the small plastic dust caps from the ends of the optical cable before inserting it in the optical socket?
What is the brand and model number of your soundbar?

EndlessWaves

Distinguished Member
I see.☹️ Unfortunately, the optical out has damaged housing, preventing the lead from sitting in.

The S/PDIF port on the TV is broken? Your original post implied it was the one on the soundbar.

Your TV does have ARC so you could use that instead. Does your Soundbar have an HDMI connection?

Uptown

Novice Member
So sorry guys, I didn't mean to confuse anyone👍
So yes, it's the optical connector on the back of the TV that's lost the housing. I've tried the tape/blue tak technique but it eventually disconnects. Yes, I have removed the caps and my soundbar model number is A teknika tksb214. It has these connections, (see picture), plus Bluetooth, line in and usb 5v. My TV has hdmi arc but all hdmi's are being used for virgin, mini pc and PS4. I know that the soundbar is old so if there is no alternative, I'll by a newer one as a last resort, (but not if the optical connector is my only alternative).

Again, thanks so much for your help with this.👍

Attachments

• IMG_20210718_233447365.jpg
    IMG_20210718_233447365.jpg
    171.6 KB · Views: 16

JayCee

Distinguished Member
Use a 3.5mm stereo minijack to Phono cable.
Plug the minijack into your TV's headphone socket and the Phono's into your Soundbar's Aux input.
As for getting your optical cable to stay in the optical socket I find a glue gun is the best and longest lasting solution.
Just support the cable for the couple of minutes it takes for the glue to set and coat the plug/socket with a liberal amount all around.

Uptown

Novice Member
Plug the minijack into your TV's headphone socket and the Phono's into your Soundbar's Aux input.
Ok. I have done the TV headphone to line in on the soundbar. I'm assuming that your method would provide a better sound?

Uptown

Novice Member
As for getting your optical cable to stay in the optical socket I find a glue gun is the best and longest lasting solution.
Just support the cable for the couple of minutes it takes for the glue to set and coat the plug/socket with a liberal amount all around.
I like that idea👍 Again, thanks for the advice!

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: We review Dune and ask which is the best decade for horror movies?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom