Toslink and HDMI cable advice..

Chandler90

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm a newbie here.. just got an interesting situation i need a hand with!

I'll start by attaching a diagram:

layoutzp.jpg

Ok, Above is the current layout of my living room.. the items in red are what I need to purchase but I do not have a clue on what sort/grade of cable is suitable for me.

Basically I am going to use the systems above to..

Watch movies/TV series via the PC connected to the TV on the right..
TV through SKY on the TV on the right..
Gaming via the 360 on the TV on the right
And watch blurays on the PS3 connected to the TV on the right..

However I also need them to be able to play the audio through the 5.1 system.. this system is a Logitech Z4500 and is a bit awkward.

Basically the system runs its optical connections through the control console which has to connect to a 15pin connection on the back of the sub.. I am aware that I need to place the sub to one side to get the best from it so i have positioned it to the left next to a power source.

So in order to connect my PC, 1 Xbox (1 runs through a a40 mixamp), 1 PS3 and 1 Sky box to the console I will have to split the audio sources to the TV on the right via a TOSlink splitter.. and then run a 7m TOSlink cable in trucking to the console on the other side of the room.

Next i will need to connect the PC to the right TV and run it as an extended desktop to allow media playback.. it is a Samsung 46D800and is much better than the left tv imo. This will require a 7M HDMI cable..

So.... I know what I need but what should I buy?

1x 3 input, 1 output TOSlink splitter
3x 1.5/2M TOSlink cables
1x 7M TOSlink cable
1x 7M HDMI cable

Its alot of work, but the sound system is THX rated and is pretty good.. and this seems like a much cheaper alternative to buying a whole new surround sound system..

What do you guys think? What should I go for?

Thanks for reading and sorry for the extended explanation of what I'm wanting to do..

Oh and btw... the TV on the left is mine for gaming on and the one on the right is for the misses or when we want to watch something together :D

Last edited:
Well that seems pretty well laid out , I take what it you asking for is specific brand items ?

Its an optical switcher you want , not spltter , they would be different things.

Heres the cheapest switch I can find ,

3Way Optical Digital Audio Switcher : AV Splitters Switchers : Maplin

This is the kind of thing you want , don't worry about degrading signals , that cant happen , its digital. You may want one with a remote , as the one in the link is manual , remote controlled units are available , obviously they cost more.

Regarding the cables , they all carry digital signals , so get the cheapest you can. There is no benefit to spending more on cables like this , the data either gets through and all is well , or it doesn't and it simply doesn't work at all.

Asking in the HDMI cables and switches forums will get you some very reasonable offers for the 7m HDMI cable , there are a number of assured advertisers in that forum that will give you honest deals and prices , some have a discount for AVforums members. 7 meters is well within the range of HDMI cables that can be considered short , so the cheapest one you can get will do.

Last edited:
This is the kind of thing you want , don't worry about degrading signals , that cant happen , its digital.

I can't agree here on audio i'm afraid as a general rule. For this case yes there will be no noticeable difference, but if you start using Hi-End audio gear some digital cables introduce less Jitter thats caused by lower end cables.

I've heard the difference with my own ears. Similarly using a clock between a CD , DAC and Amp to specifically keep the timing on the chain works wonders.

:devil:

P.S I don't profess to own the hi-end audio gear mentioned. Before I get flamed :)

Last edited:
I can't agree here on audio i'm afraid as a general rule. For this case yes there will be no noticeable difference, but if you start using Hi-End audio gear some digital cables introduce less Jitter thats caused by lower end cables.

I've heard the difference with my own ears. Similarly using a clock between a CD , DAC and Amp to specifically keep the timing on the chain works wonders.

Not a question of agreeing or disagreeing , the fact is that HDMI does not transmit a continuous stream of audio , it is packetised and transmitted within video blanking frames , the tech relies on the transmitter and receiver communicating an algorithm that accurately reconstructs the audio stream at the sink end.

Now , there may be issues with some of the lesser HDMI chipsets and exactly how accurate the audio stream is re-constructed , but in no way can the cable play any part in that.

With regards to any HDMI cable having an affect on audio quality , that is without doubt , totally and undeniably impossible.

I've managed to sort this out now... It was a quite simple fix really :)

6m toslink to a switch and.... Rather than using hdmi I have decided to use something I totally overlooked... Wireless networking! My ps3/xbox or a laptop can stream content :)

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom