Tosiba RDXS32 - DVD Creation (Aspect Ratio Problem)

New Bloke

Established Member
Reaction score
I have recorded a movie from Sky Movies and want to create a DVD.

There is only one movie, one chapter and I have trimmed the recording down exactly to just the movie.

When I try to create the DVD, the player reports an error due to a mix in the aspect ratios.

What do I have to do to sort this out?

Any ideas? :confused:

What aspect is the film recorded in, and what did you set the aspect to in the DVD creation menu (4:3, 16:9, or “original”)?

Even if you have edited carefully, you can get issues where the aspect ration changes on adverts. Sometimes even just a blank screen in the transition records the wrong aspect. What I have found has worked for me is to set the aspect manually, rather than allow on “original”. So if your film is 16:9, then manually set the aspect to 16:9, if it is 4:3 then 4:3.

Mark

redsox_mark said:
What aspect is the film recorded in, and what did you set the aspect to in the DVD creation menu (4:3, 16:9, or “original”)?

Even if you have edited carefully, you can get issues where the aspect ration changes on adverts. Sometimes even just a blank screen in the transition records the wrong aspect. What I have found has worked for me is to set the aspect manually, rather than allow on “original”. So if your film is 16:9, then manually set the aspect to 16:9, if it is 4:3 then 4:3.

Mark

Its a bit worrying when it says about splitting the one title into multiple titles just because one frame is in a different ratio.

I didn't trust setting it manual but what also works is if you dub to DVD, making sure you have the default ratio set correctly and then finalise.

Another method I've used was to move the chapter mark one more GOP, lose about 0.5 sec but sometimes you can get a blank screen for that long.

What is the quickest way of finding out what aspect a program has been recorded in?

How can you change this setting and what is the best one to use?

I have a Toshiba 16:9 TV if this helps answer the aspect setting question. It seems a confusing question as some channels transmit in both 4:3 and 16:9!?!?!??!

I only access Sky, I do not have terrestrial TV as I cannot pick it up where I live (too much interference).

The place I check is in the Chapter Function (when I'm setting chapter points, e.g. to edit out the adverts). There it shows the aspect ratio. And it can change. E.g. I regularly record "The Simpsons" off off Freeview (Ch 4). The show is 4:3, but the adverts generally are 16:9.

On analog terrestrial TV, you only get 4:3. On Sky and Freeview, it is a mixture.

Mark

I used the chapter function menu and found out that the first 4 frames are 4:3 and the rest of the recording is 16:9. With the first four frames having nothing on them, problem solved, thanks guys. :)

Sorry to hijack the thread - but, with reference to XS32s and Sky boxes, what is the best way to set up aspect ratios on both?
I currently use a 4:3 tv (that won't be changing anytime soon) and record everything in that format 'cause i'm a lazy git, but is there a foolproof way of recording 16:9 programmes and 4:3 programmes in their correct ratios without having to constantly change settings on the Skybox and the XS32?
Sorry if the question is a bit vague....

If it's any help, the skybox is currently set at 4:3LB and the XS32 at 4:3.

Am i being a complete klutz here?

I’ll try .. but there are a few gaps in my knowledge here..

Starting with that I do know: If your STB (in my case it is Freeview, for you it is Sky, but shouldn’t matter) is setup for 16:9, then the XS32 will record a 4:3 programme in 4:3, and 16:9 in 16:9. It saves the WSS flag, so those recordings will look right if played on a 4:3 or 16:9 TV. This is what I do… I have a 16:9 TV, though I also play the discs on another player with a 4:3 TV.

The 4:3 or 16:9 setup (part of the installation guide) on the XS32 relates to output only, not how it records.

Now, if you set your Sky box to 16:9, it will look wrong when just watching TV on your 4:3 TV. I think that if you keep the XS32 output at 4:3 it would look right if you watched it via the XS32 – i.e. the XS32 would take the 16:9 input, but output in 4:3LB format. So I think one option would be to set your Sky to 16:9, and always watch it via the XS32, i.e. the XS32 on and not in Sat Moni mode (I am assuming you have SKY -> XS32 ->TV connections).

If the Sky box is set to 4:3, then it will convert everything to a 4:3 format, so I think all you get is 4:3 (this is your current setup).

Bottom line: I think if you leave your XS32 at 4:3 and set your Sky to 16:9 it should work, but you’d have to watch everything via the XS32. Try it?

Mark

Cheers, i'll give it a go and see what happens.
Just out of interest, does the aspect ratio in the XS setup menu make any difference when recording to HDD, or does it only come into use when recording straight to -R or -RW?

The setting "Aspect ratio (Video Mode)" is only for DVD-R/-RW.
When recording to HDD or DVD-RAM, it is valid to mix 4:3 and 16:9 material in the same title, so when recording to these it always records in the original format.

If you record direct to DVD-R or -RW, it needs to know which aspect to use, as it can't cope with the aspect ratio changing.

Mark

Cheers bro. Worked it all out eventually - it's the fact that i have a 4:3 tv thats been throwing me off for so long.
To set my mind straight, I set the Skybox for 16:9 and fixed my tv at a 4:3 ratio (it has a setting for 16:9 as well) and entered 4:3 as TV Type on the XS32 setup screen. Recorded the 'stretched' picture to HDD then burned (as 16:9) to DVD. Perfect results.

Now, with peace of mind, i'll set my tv back to auto display, knowing indeed that things are being recorded the way i want them to be. Thanks for the pointers Mark.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom