1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Toshiba's 'magnetic pull'

Discussion in 'TVs' started by skap7309, Oct 22, 2005.

1. skap7309

skap7309

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    After spending months reading these forums deciding which tv to get i eventually went for the toshiba 32zp48 and i am more than happy with it. Thing is i distinctly remember reading about solid horizontal lines 'leaning' as they made there way across the picture. Yes, i too suffer this problem and now i know its there i cant stop noticing it! :mad:
    Toshiba even excuse this in the instruction manual, blaming the earths magnetic pull! As ive never seen this anywhere before, are they made in space? :confused: :smashin:

2. nig28

nig28

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

If you can turn the tv round to face the other direction, if you see it tilt in the other direction you will know the answer.
    I have never seen it myself, but I would say, if it is a factor as every person who owns a TV does not face thier TV in the same direction, then 25% of them should have a problem.
    It has been mentioned before on these forums.

Nigel

3. per-Sony-fied

per-Sony-fied

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +100
    One of the major problems of the 32" Tosh as it has no geomagnetic correction. I'm not sure why they felt it suitable to leave this option off their 32" when they've implemented it on their 36" which carries almost identical software.

Even my Sony 28" has this feature which I find needs a very small tweak.

Every time the Space shuttle takes a trip up they fill the cargo bay with a shopping trolly full of them ;)

4. El kiddo

El kiddo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm myself an owner of a Tosh 32 ZP48 and have a similar problem; now I don't think this is due to the earth's magnetic pull which is a very handy excuse for bad workmanship.
    In my case I identified my problem to be caused by a EHT problem AKA flyback transformer. When there are extremes of light and darkness in the same picture, say a snowy landscape framed within the scope (2.35) ratio or a scene that takes place in a dark room with bright light coming through the windows, the image distorts visibly especially when there are vertical lines and you can see the telltale signs of lampposts or trees bending as the camera pans across the image.
    To check if this is really the problem you're experiencing make a simple test on a DVD picture: freeze the image that is distorting and reduce the brightness and the darker the image gets the bent lines should correct themselves.
    If this happens forget the magnetic pull theory, the cause of the distortion is a crappy USP.
    Now the real challenge is getting your retailer and Toshiba to acnowledge this.
    No easy task I can tell you by experience ...

5. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,025
    Regrettably this is one area in which those who say "CRT is best" are wrong. Any CRT is prone to poor geometry and distortion varying with brightness; more noticeable the larger the screen. And manufacturing tolerances are often broader than the more observant owners' tolerance. The sadness is, that many buyers won't notice, yet will be pleased with the low cost of such kit. And manufacturers have to build down to a price, rather than up to a standard in order to sell.

The only sure way to perfect geometry, convergence and freedom from brightness distortion, is a direct view LCD or Plasma. But then you have other issues to contend with.