Toshiba's 540 Line Resolution?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by DaBuzz, Jan 29, 2001.

1. DaBuzz

DaBuzz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    On comparing the Toshiba 100E to my Pioneer 626D, i found that the Toshiba had a much better picture than my 626D. Pictures were more sharper and much more cinematic.

Its clear that Toshiba's 540 Line Resolution really does make a huge difference. Why dont other companies offer this feature?

I was thinking of replacing my Pioneer 626D with a better player like the Pioneer 737, but since the 737 doesent support 540 Line Resolution, there is not much point. Toshiba's Flagship SD-900E is simply too expensive for me. Their 500E does 540 Lines and will be better, but its not something worth spending extra money on. SO I will wait.

I sure hope other companies start to use the 540 Line Res! Lets hope they do! Ahh it's all so annoying!

2. Radioactive__Man

Radioactive__Man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Totally agree, up until 2 weeks ago I had a 626, upon oredering a 46 Toshiba RPTV I thought it would be a good idea to change my player, so bought an SD200E, at the moment I am using a borrowed Fujitsu 42" plasma [long story !], and when I used the component outputs from the DVD to the Plasma I was impressed at the picture quality, previously when using S-Video output from the DVD to the Plasma the solarisation was unbearable, now it is much better, can't wait to see it on my new TV.

A friend of mine has a Toshiba 40" RPTV coupled up to a Pioneer 737, and it is very impressive. I hope the SD200E will come close, and dare I hope better it, in terms of resolution [a lot to ask for a player of half the price !].

I'll let you know how it compares after this Friday, which is when my set is being delivered, hopefully the dozen DVD titles I have ordered in the last few days will all be here by then also !!!!

3. Napoleon

Napoleon
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    The Toshibas 100/200 have a lower frequency response(detail retrieval),compared
    to any dvd around,including the 737.Lowest F.R = highest detail retrieval.
    I own the 100 and it really is unbeatable.
    Why people insist on buying cheap chinese crap is beyond me!!.

4. bradavon

bradavon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    540 Line Resolution???

I thought all DVD Players produced the same amount of lines?

5. DaBuzz

DaBuzz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nope, Toshiba Players output 540 lines. This removes any jagged edges and produces a much sharper picture!

Its called a Super Antialias Filter.

Dont ask me how it manages to generate another 40 lines out of nothing and also makes the picture better. All I know is that it works!

6. tan1415

tan1415

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

Still trying to make the choice.
    The 535 or the sd100e.

Well maybe the picture that the SD100E is really that good,BUT atleast the 535 will deliver a picture.
    I mean the Tosh is not RCE proof. Unlike the 535. Due to i think the fact that the Tosh only has a auto region changer. That means that it will not play RCE protected region1 DVDs.
    Right now it looks not that important. But I believe that there will only be more RCE protected DVDs coming.(All sony owned companys will use it)

So what do you think about this issue? I mean the capability of seeing region1 DVDs is the reason you buy a multiregion DVDplayer. If this trend continues,you'll still need another DVDplayer thats RCEcapable.

I am curious to your view on this.

And buzz, you're dissappointed in the picture of your 626? What kind of connection are you using? Scart or Svideo?
    Teh quirky thing about the 626 is that it DOESN'T have a RGB scart!!
    So for best picture you have to use the svideo.(Does the 626 has component outputs?)

7. DaBuzz

DaBuzz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Actually the Pioneer 626 does have an RGB Scart and thats what i am using! Its connected up using very High Quality cables. By the way i tried S-Video and its nothing compared to the picture of the RGB Scart! No the 626 does not have component outputs, but i dont have a TV with component inputs, so it doesent matter!