1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Toshiba520 Vs Pioneer550

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by andrewmellor, Feb 6, 2003.

1. andrewmellor

andrewmellor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Hi,

I'm searching for a half decent entry level dvd player that will also playback jpeg images on CDR burnt from my digi camera.

I have been read through the specs of the Tosh520 and Pioneer550, both will playback jpegs and seem to be fairly equal as far as specs go...just wondered if anyone out there can comment on these players, I've read a few reviews on the tosh but can't seem to find much on the Pioneer.
    Would really like some feedback from users re. any faults/problems or comments etc?

Obviously any other recommendations more than welcome in a similar price range

Tv is Sony kv32fq75 (rgb & s-video in via scart)

Thanks for any help...Andrew

2. Spoonman2

Spoonman2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +177
    I have a 520E Toshiba, and my dada has a 550 Pioneer, IMHO i would say the Tosh is a much better player, and has a great load of features on it. And progressive scan for future use also.
    Im well chuffed with my 520e, and is available for about £200.

Spoony.

3. karl.g

karl.g
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I was interested in the Pioneer, but there was a thread recently where two owners said the DV-550 rebooted during playback. This could be quite annoying. The Tosh sounds more reliable. There was also some question about how slow they are at JPEG playback.

4. andrewmellor

andrewmellor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Thanks guys,

Yes I too had read that the Pioneer was very slow at playing back Jpegs....Spoony can you comment on the image playback facility of the Tosh, do the images fill the screen i.e. fit to size by stretching or is aspect ratio kept...are there many features that can be used such as slide show, zoom, speed etc? Any more info regards your thoughts on this player (ease of use, features etc) would be most appreciated as I already had suspicions that this would be my choice based on the rave reviews that Toshiba dvd players seem to get.

Also:

Are they available multi region and rce enabled without issues?

Can the benefits of progressive scan be obtained by using a converter-- component to RGB/s-video?

Sorry for all the questions!!

cheers...Andrew

5. chris

chris

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    I had a bad experiance with the 520......well 2 of them to be exact........
    Mine had the famous toshiba freeze, while playing movies.
    There are a couple more people on here, haveing the same prob.....but, looking at all the theads on the player, most people have no probs.
    Think i was just unlucky.

I did not find the sound or pic, to be as good as my pioneer 626......i exchanged the tosh for a pioneer 656 and am well impressed....the pic and sound of the 656 is better than the 626.

While i had the 520, i did play with the jpeg viewer and thought it was a nice toy to play with.....it showed the images brilliantly......
    I think if people are saying the pioneer 550 is slower than the 520, at loading, then you should go for the 520, as that seemed megga slow to me......it took about 5 seconds to display a 1 mega pixel image.

Shame the 656, does not have this feature, but i'm looking more for, sound and pic, with films, from my DVD players, so i will be sticking with pioneer for now...maybe they will put it on the 666, when that comes out.

6. bigbaddonkey

bigbaddonkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Toshiba 520 can play DVD-Audio discs.

7. Anrasp

Anrasp
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Will the Tosh SD220e play JPEG images too ?

Anrasp

8. juboy

juboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No company will ever put out a product with the model number '666' :devil:

9. chris

chris

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    I hope they do......and maybe make it a limited addition.......that would make it as hot as hell, to own.:clown: :laugh:

And i suppose, its better the devil you know.:devil: