1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

toshiba27 or panasonicp5

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by hddvdman, Feb 11, 2003.

1. hddvdman

hddvdman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    somethere over there but not near here, there
    Ratings:
    +155
    please help i want to get a new plasma and have been told to get the toshiba as it is cheaper than the rest, also the best price i have for this is £2999.99 can anyone spread any light on somewhere cheaper?

toshiba also do a another 42 inch model which i believe has a 16 in the product code what is the difference between the two? i prefer the stand of this model over the table top one.

thanks to all, if anyone can suggest a better plasma then go ahead!!

2. jmack

jmack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    the 27 toshiba is a clone of the panasonic 5 model
    and the 42wp16 is the clone of the panasonic 4 model.
    there are followers of both models some prefer the wp16 and the panny 4 as some say the new panasonic flickers more due to
    a different type of scanning, i have the wp16 and very happy with,
    i have also seen the panny 5 and could not detect any more flicker

3. Adlopa

Adlopa
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've just caused myself irrepairable financial harm by buying the Toshiba 42WP27B for £3000 from Richer Sounds. They have the effectively identical Panasonic version for £200 more. I then discovered that Nexnix are offering both models for a few quid under £3000. Grr.

4. Jon Weaver

Jon Weaver

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Born in Bristol but now in Newport, (for my sins)
    Ratings:
    +664
    Where did you see the <£3000 at Nexnix?

Their Toshiba is £2720+vat which is £3196.

Their Panasonic is £2725+vat which is £3201.

However, the Panasonic is the WD5, which is the black 'commercial' version which is not the same as the one in R.S.

The WD5 is always a few £100 cheaper than the 'domestic' model.

5. hddvdman

hddvdman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    somethere over there but not near here, there
    Ratings:
    +155
    so what is the model number i should try and go for the commercialone or not?

6. Adlopa

Adlopa
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ah, you're right. Someone appears to have altered the value of the 'Tax' button on my desktop calculator to 10%, which explains my optimistic pricing. I retract my 'Grr'...

7. Jon Weaver

Jon Weaver

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Born in Bristol but now in Newport, (for my sins)
    Ratings:
    +664
    Chris,

The 'commercial' and 'domestic' models are almost the same.

The biggest difference is that one (commercial) is black and the other (domestic) is silver.

Apparantly, the commercial version has higher RF emmisions, but also has some functions which enable it to operate better in a 'commercial' environment (i.e Timers)

Other than that, they are the same.

As you get slightly more features, it could be argued that the commercial version is better value (considering that its cheaper), however, it all comes down to whether you want black or silver!

8. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,593
    chris

Just to clarify what others have said re model numbers:

Panasonic TH-42PWD5BX (Charcoal) normally supplied with the BNC terminal board.

Panasonic TH-42PW5B (Silver) normally supplied with the RCA terminal board.

Toshiba 42PW27 (Silver) normally supplied with the RCA terminal board.

In terms of video quality there's nothing to really choose between any of these displays are they are all based upon the same Panasonic chassis - though some customers do prefer the Charcoal bezel when watching a movie and others prefer the Silver bezel when not watching a movie (seems to be a subject for the interior designers!).

The Toshiba displays are supplied with a TWO year Return to Manufacturer warranty (assuming its a UK product).

The Panasonic displays are supplied with a ONE year On Site with Loan replacement warranty (assuming its a UK product).

These display all use the same mounting holes so any pedestal you see that fits one will fit all.

Once you get down to the pricing you are quoting the only way to get these devices any cheaper is to open an account with Panasonic or Toshiba - or buy about 100 units at a time!

If you want a slightly less expensive option (and were only talking a couple of hundred quid) look at the Hitachi 42PMA400E.

Many of our customers spend the extra and go for the Pioneer PDP-433MXE - its higher pixel count makes a big difference if you want to use your display with a PC and who knows what's coming next in the DVD market.

Also keep in mind that your budget should allow for cables and possibly even an RGB converter for your Digibox.

Best regards

Joe

9. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Don't forget with the panny warranty, the loan screen is 'subject to availability' but they will at least pay the carriage to return your screen. This bit will cost you £80 with toshiba should something go wrong.

The other bit of pricing is the price of a bracket. Richers, and others, are furiously cheap for the screen, then want £300 for a bracket! Add in no help with the connections, no RGB/VGA boxes, few cables, you might find a better deal in surprising places.