Toshiba Z series Calibration/Settings thread!

KevIW

Established Member
Reaction score
Thought I would start this as there was a really good one for the X series.
Hope people find it useful and more focused than the general thread.
Hope this is ok with the mods :thumbsup:

My 42Z is yet to be delivered but all those in possession please post your settings that have succeded and also the failures. Also any querks you have found on the Z's.

Enjoy!

Has anyone got default service menu settings for the 47Z3030? Thanks.

I think its a good idea to have a settings thread
Its really hard to find back settings in the huge Z thread

Here are a few settings I like (I watch in total darkness)
I used a calibration disc from burosch in all settings but I'm never satisfied after that while watching different material and it often takes me days before I can leave the settings alone while watching TV :clap:

My default service menu settings are :

RCUT = 00H
GCUT = 00H
BCUT = 00H
RDRV = 8EH
GDRV = 88H
BDRV = 7FH
COLC = E0H
UVTT = FCH
CNTX = 84H

These settings can be different per set

My BRTC in the service menu is on 02H and im not sure if that was my default..
I noticed that some Tv's have different settings here, it affects the brightness and 1 step lower or higher was very visible so you might want to compensate for that or also put it on 02H (higher = brighter)

Also be aware that the base colour adjustments might look different per set but it should at least be a good starting point to fine tune it to your likes ..

PICTURE SETTINGS SUB MENU:

BACKLIGHT = 45
CONTRAST = 100
BRIGHTNESS = 45
COLOUR = 45
TINT = 0 (this setting does not work over hdmi)
SHARPNESS = -15
BLACK STRETCH = OFF
MPEG NR = Low
DNR = Low
COLOUR TEMP = Natural

PICTURE SETTINGS

ACTIVE BACKLIGHT CONTROL = ON
CINEMA MODE = ON
FILM STABILIZATION = ON
ACTIVE VISION M100 = ON
XVYCC SELECTION = ON
3D COLOUR MANAGEMENT = ON
BASE COLOUR ADJUSTMENT = ON

BASE COLOUR ADJUSTMENT:

RED = 0 0 +2
GREEN = -2 +4 -2
BLUE = +2 +2 +4
YELLOW = 0 +5 0
MAGENTA = +2 +1 +1
CYAN = +4 +3 +4

=============================

I also like these, I tried to get a setting to get rid of as much flat blacks possible without going too bright.. White levels are less good though but I prefer that over flat blacks .. I calibrated the colors to look good with this high brightness and low backlight. I noticed it still looks good even with brightness on 100 (which gives a bit more detail on blacks but I find the blacks too greyish then)

I also like it alot on standard def I finally started to like it with these settings

Warm or Natural both look good..

Warm I like because it just looks good and relaxing ..

Natural I like because things look more real especially when watching HD

I really miss a button on the remote to change tints (I have it on an old samsung crt)

BACKLIGHT = 15
CONTRAST = 100
BRIGHTNESS = 85
COLOUR = 40
TINT = 0 (This setting does not work over hdmi)
SHARPNESS = -15
BLACK STRETCH = OFF
MPEG NR = Low (best is to decide for yourself, depending on viewing distance)
DNR = Low (best is to decide for yourself, depending on viewing distance)
COLOUR TEMP = Natural

PICTURE SETTINGS

ACTIVE BACKLIGHT CONTROL = OFF (since the backlight setting is low I left this off)
CINEMA MODE = ON
FILM STABILIZATION = ON
ACTIVE VISION M100 = ON
XVYCC SELECTION = ON
BASE COLOUR ADJUSTMENT = ON

BASE COLOUR ADJUSTMENT:

RED = +2 =2 -4
GREEN = -4 +10 -8
BLUE = -10 -4 -2
YELLOW = -10 -4 -2
MAGENTA = 0 +3 -4
CYAN = +8 +6 -4

======================

Im gonna make another setting around a very low backlight but more aimed on dark black levels and less bright.. Will post it when ready

If anyone else has a setting with a low backlight (15 or lower) please share them :)

Hoax, are you aware that by having the XVYCC SELECTION = ON, you are not seeing the colours properly? They will look all faded, because you're only meant to have that on for XVYCC sources. You should have it set to Auto, but if that's how you like it then fair enough haha.

Hoax, are you aware that by having the XVYCC SELECTION = ON, you are not seeing the colours properly? They will look all faded, because you're only meant to have that on for XVYCC sources. You should have it set to Auto, but if that's how you like it then fair enough haha.

I didnt know I read it up in the manual and it only says that xvycc can produce more colors or something like that..

Hm I just put it on auto but that totaly screws up all colors.. like very oversaturated and cheap like an old vhs tape or something ..

will see what I can do if i make a new calibration with this setting.. hmm it does look better now with half of the color setting down
are u really sure about it should be on auto?

will try it anyways.. thanks for the input :)

I didnt know I read it up in the manual and it only says that xvycc can produce more colors or something like that..

Hm I just put it on auto but that totaly screws up all colors.. like very oversaturated and cheap like an old vhs tape or something ..

will see what I can do if i make a new calibration with this setting.. hmm it does look better now with half of the color setting down
are u really sure about it should be on auto?

will try it anyways.. thanks for the input :)

Yes mate, the reason the colours went all oversaturated when you turned it off is because you need to calibrate them properly. You were seeing them all faded like I said you would haha with it turned on, because it doesn't produce more colours, it is simply a setting available for XVYCC sources when they ever come about (they're not on Blu-ray so far). Because you were telling it that you were watching an XVYCC source, its colour went totally out of calibration with the source you were watching.

I know there are lots of other ppl (also configs posted in Z thread) who have it enabled.. you would also not think that a colour setting like 45 needed to get some colour would be way too much .. Now the colours do look rich with even a setting around 25.. can't believe why the manual wasnt more clear on this as it greatly affects everything

Yes I use mine on Auto now.... And then calibrated. All I can say is Bring on the Deep Colour Bluray DVD's Pleeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaassssssssseeeeeeee..
Toshiba seem way ahead on this at the moment, just waiting for the others to catch them up..

Can someone post their settings with XVYCC SELECTION = Auto.

Just got my 42z :)

Thanks

Elliot

I'd be very interested to see results of a full calibration with XVYCC set to Auto.

Cheers,

Paul

For those who have tried do you use different settings for SD to HD if so what do you change?

I know there are lots of other ppl (also configs posted in Z thread) who have it enabled.. you would also not think that a colour setting like 45 needed to get some colour would be way too much .. Now the colours do look rich with even a setting around 25.. can't believe why the manual wasnt more clear on this as it greatly affects everything

It might explain as well that if I use 'Cine' setting everything looks dull - I don't have BluRay or HD DVD - but I wonder if the 'cine' setting is geared to their brighter colours.

Anyway - here's my settings - just using the basic controls - and I've not needto alter them recently. (this is on the 42Z)

For channels that I think my settings are not too good - I don't change the settings for it - I just use the 'natural' pre-setting

When watching I just have a tall lamp on in the far corner of the room (60 watt equivalent)

Active Backlight On
Cinema mode On
Film Stabilization On
Active Vision M100 On
XvYCC greyed out
3D Colour management Off
Base colour adjustment greyed out

Picture settings menu:-

Backlight 66
Contrast 46
Brightness 46
Colour 40
Tint 0
Sharpness 0
Blackstretch Off
MPEG NR Off
DNR Off
Colour Temperature Cool

Cheers, Dave C.

Have not got my 42Z yet (due sat morn)
Getting very confused about the amount of settings on the Z's and when to have them on and when to have them off or set to auto.

Exact scan?
Active Vision M100?
Film Stabilization?
Cinema Mode?
xvYCC?
Black Stretch?
MpegNR?
DNR?

Surely some must override or affect others if you have them all on?
And some must be good for SD and others for HD?
Do HD DVD's that need 24FPS say on the box?

Getting very confused about the amount of settings on the Z's and when to have them on and when to have them off or set to auto.

Exact scan?

Well at least I can tackle that one.

Exact scan is greyed out unless you are connecting to the TV via a HDMI cable.

I use it for BBC HD and with my up-scaling DVD player.

When it's not in 'exact' scan I lose about 18 pixels on each edge.

Here's a screen capture on Exact scan and as you can see it does work - showing the whole image:-

EDIT - the short lines at each side can give an exact check of lost pixels - up to over 40 per edge!

SNV33414.jpg

Cheers, Dave C

So for me it is turn on for DVD viewing! :smashin:
One down a bagillion to go! :D

Exact scan?
Active Vision M100?
Film Stabilization?
Cinema Mode?
xvYCC?
Black Stretch?
MpegNR?
DNR?

Surely some must override or affect others if you have them all on?
And some must be good for SD and others for HD?
Do HD DVD's that need 24FPS say on the box?

Exact scan: Does 1:1 pixel mapping from 1080 line sources. Basically gets rid of overscan.
Active Vision M100: It's the TV's 100/120Hz mode. Doubles the amount of frames shown.
Film Stabilization: This is up in the air. It would seem to be tied into the 5/5 pulldown mode, but it also seems to offer interpolation. Basically, however it does it, it smooths out motion.
Cinema Mode: Used for deinterlacing interlaced sources. Is automatically disabled if the source is progressive (DVD, BD etc.).
xvYCC: Set it to auto.
Black Stretch: Artificially increases the black in the picture, but at the cost of detail. I leave it off, but it's up to you.
MpegNR: Will get rid of noise in poor digital images, at the expense of detail.
DNR: Pretty much the same as the last one. Experiment to see if you like the effects.

HD DVDs are all mastered at 1080p/24, at lest the overwhelming majority of them. Stuff shot on video won't be, so TV programs and the like (Planet Earth is one I think, probably Star Trek unless that was shot on film).

Cinema Mode: Used for deinterlacing interlaced sources. Is automatically disabled if the source is progressive (DVD, BD etc.).

I would put it: Makes a different de-interlacing of an interlaced signal (should be done differently) when the content comes from a progressive source. What I think happens is that the decision if the content is progressive or interlaced is biased more towards progressive. I mean normally we don't have to switch Cinema mode off when watching really interlaced material but it can make a difference with strange edits or noisy signals.

Black Stretch: Artificially increases the black in the picture, but at the cost of detail. I leave it off, but it's up to you.
That was the case with my previous Toshiba, but I found out that with the 37Z3030 the Low setting actually increased the shadow detail compared to Off.
MpegNR: Will get rid of noise in poor digital images, at the expense of detail.
DNR: Pretty much the same as the last one. Experiment to see if you like the effects.

I think DNR filters also in time domain which can give smearing with certain material.

HD DVDs are all mastered at 1080p/24, at lest the overwhelming majority of them. Stuff shot on video won't be, so TV programs and the like (Planet Earth is one I think, probably Star Trek unless that was shot on film).
Planet Earth is from a progressive source (like 'all' film and many new TV series). In the european way these are broadcast as 25Hz frame rate (2 field pairs from the same film frame). This is what you want the "Cinema" mode to detect.

These are my current settings!

BACKLIGHT = 30
CONTRAST = 98
BRIGHTNESS = 40
COLOUR = 30
TINT = 0
SHARPNESS = 0
BLACK STRETCH = OFF
MPEG NR = Low
DNR = Auto
COLOUR TEMP = Natural

PICTURE SETTINGS

ACTIVE BACKLIGHT CONTROL = OFF
CINEMA MODE = ON
FILM STABILIZATION = SMOOTH
ACTIVE VISION M100 = ON
XVYCC SELECTION = AUTO

Very very happy with my 42Z!!!!!!!!!

OK, it's time to make my contribution to this thread. I use two different settings because I haven't yet decided which I like better. The first settings is what I call my "standard" settings, tried and tested with DVE, satellite TV (Swedish Canal Digital SD/HDTV), DVD and Blu Ray.

My "Standard" settings:

CINEMA MODE = ON
FILM STABILIZATION = SMOOTH/STANDARD
AVM100 = ON
XVYCC SELECTION = AUTO
3D COLOUR MANAGEMENT = OFF

BACKLIGHT = 28
CONTRAST = 90
BRIGHTNESS = 49
COLOUR = 40
TINT = 0
SHARPNESS = 0
BLACK STRETCH = OFF
MPEG NR = OFF
DNR = OFF
COLOUR TEMP = Natural

The other settings has to do with this:
That was the case with my previous Toshiba, but I found out that with the 37Z3030 the Low setting [Black Stretch] actually increased the shadow detail compared to Off.

True, when I got my TV I thought that the "BLACK STRETCH" settings low/middle/high was how MUCH the blacks in the picture was (artificially) increased. But after some testing I found that it's WHERE it's applied. Low increases shadow detail, high is boosting bright areas and middle is...well working between shadow and highlights. (See the attatched image)

I also found that the low setting increases shadow detail, but at the cost of rising the black level. The high setting crushed whites. But the middle setting can be used, let me explain how: I've seen how different settings people use on backlight, some are close to the factory setting (70) and others are using a really low setting, 15 and lower. My last tv was a crt and I like blacks to look BLACK, but not at the cost of shadow detail or a dim picture. Setting the backlight lower than 20 made the picture too dim for my taste. But then I tried using Black Stretch in different settings and found that if I set Black Stretch to MIDDLE, I can set the backlight as low as 10 without getting a dim picture, greyish black level, loosing shadow detail or crushing whites.

I have had to increase colour from 40 to apprx 60, otherwise colours got too pale. I'm pretty sure that the colours are not perfect and that the gamma curve might look off (if I could measure it), But it deosn't look bad and I like the deep blacks! :). I have checked the settings with DVE. The blacks and contrast have certainly improved, and I now use these settings more than my "standard" settings:

The "PITCH BLACK" ;) settings:

CINEMA MODE = ON
FILM STABILIZATION = SMOOTH/STANDARD
AVM100 = ON
XVYCC SELECTION = AUTO
3D COLOUR MANAGEMENT = OFF

BACKLIGHT = 10
CONTRAST = 98
BRIGHTNESS = 49
COLOUR = 60
TINT = 0
SHARPNESS = 0
BLACK STRETCH = MIDDLE
MPEG NR = OFF
DNR = OFF
COLOUR TEMP = Natural

I think that Black Stretch works something like this:

Attachments

• Black Stretch.jpg
    Black Stretch.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 406
hi there, my tosh 42Z3030 has the following settings:

BACKLIGHT = 0 (yes, you've read right!)
CONTRAST = 90
BRIGHTNESS = 50
COLOUR = 42
TINT = 0
SHARPNESS = 0
BLACK STRETCH = middle
MPEG NR = Low
DNR = Low
COLOUR TEMP = Natural

PICTURE SETTINGS

ACTIVE BACKLIGHT CONTROL = OFF
CINEMA MODE = ON
FILM STABILIZATION = normal
ACTIVE VISION M100 = ON
XVYCC SELECTION = AUTO

and these are the service menù settings:

RCUT 00H
BDHIT 00H
BDWID 00H
ID 01H
TVOP 10H
OPT8 00H
OPT7 00H
OPT6 00H
OPT5 01H
OPT4 C1H
OPT3 20H
OPT2 00H
OPT1 71H
PLLW5 04H
PLLW4 14H
PLLW3 05H
PLLW2 0FH
PLLW1 03H
PLLWD 14H
VOLUX 7FH
CNTX 86H
UVTT FCH
COLC C8H
BRTC 02H
BDRV 79H
GDRV 88H
RDRV 8EH
BCUT 00H
GCUT 00H
RCUT 00H

the reason why i'm getting a 0 level backlight is due to poor black performance. i think my tosh is not one of the last set of tvs that have been manufactured lately (batch is J665118 and serial number is 22143851).
do you think that poor black performance is a valid issue for a possible substitution of the tv?
again, where could i get detailed information about the service manual of the z3030 series?
thanks in advance for your reply.

Planet Earth is from a progressive source (like 'all' film and many new TV series). In the european way these are broadcast as 25Hz frame rate (2 field pairs from the same film frame). This is what you want the "Cinema" mode to detect.

I don't know how Planet Earth was filmed. The only reason I mentioned it as an exception is because the back of the box says 1080i.

Active Backlight Control: On (effective dynamic backlight, unlike the X series)
Cinema mode: Off (I kept noticing strange effects with it On)
Film Stabilization: Standard (for 24fps cinematic quality motion)
xvYCC selection: Auto. (ready for if an xvYCC signal is fed to the TV)
3D Colour management: On (the red and green were too saturated, so I reduced them. The yellow appeared the wrong hue to me so I changed it, try watching The Simpsons and see if the characters look right)
Base Colour adjustment: Red Saturation: -4, Green Saturation: -4, Yellow Hue: -3

Backlight: 40 (the luminance looks about right to my eyes. Any lower and daylight scenes look too dull, any higher and obviously the black level suffers and you start getting a headache from the bright image)
Contrast: 100 (I believe this is the best setting for this TV, as it doesn't appear to degrade the picture quality, and if you lower it, you're getting lower contrast obviously)
Brightness: 50 (THX calibrated. Make sure you have RGB Limited and Super-white On if using a PS3)
Colour: 41 (I did this by eye and found it to look natural without looking washed out, you may disagree)
Tint: 0 (I don't think this affects HDMI signals, and you probably don't need to use it anyway)
Sharpness: -50 (I started to notice slight halos around edges, so have reduced it all the way as it doesn't appear to have an artificial smoothing effect)
Black stretch: Off (it gives an artificial look, as it is using processing to lower the blacks, and increase the whites to trick your eyes into seeing more contrast)
MPEG NR: Off (I'm quite happy with the quality of SD material, and would rather not have detail smoothed out of it)
DNR: Off (as above)
Colour Temperature: Warm (originally closest to the D65 colour temperature, but with a bit too much red in it, so I calibrated it down in the service menu)

Service Menu settings

RCUT: FEH (calibrated along with the DRVs)
GCUT: 00H
BCUT: 00H
RDRV: 6EH
GDRV: 78H (take note, it's 8 not B!)
BDRV: 7BH (take note, it's B not 8!)

Is there an helpful soul here who can post the complete factory service menu settings for the 47Z3030 ?:lease:

I'm not sure if I changed one or two settings by mistake...:oops:

Any help would be much appreciated! It would also be good to gather this information in this thread for reference, I think.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom