1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Toshiba xxZP48 factory settings

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by mrdiscopop, Oct 13, 2004.

1. mrdiscopop

mrdiscopop
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello!

I has a 32ZP48 delivered on Monday, and I was quite shocked at the factory settings... Contrast is set to full (100) and sharpness, which runs from -50 to +50, produces quite severe artifacts at the standard setting of 0.

Now, it's possible that I'm sitting too close to the TV (small living room, larger screen than I'm used to). But I've ended up setting contrast to 70, and sharpness to -32. Everything looks a lot more natural now - and mpeg artifacts are much less noticeable from my set top box.

Has anyone else had similar experiences, or have I got mad eyes?

2. Laurel&Hardy

Laurel&Hardy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Every Tosh I've ever owned and seen is set to factory reset 1, which looks utterly horrid. Maximum SVM, black stretch and contrast. YUK!!!

OK, get ready and do the following - it will help with some of what you see.

First off, select reset 3. This disables SVM. SVM is a method of sharpening white lines, but it creates some pretty odd effects. If you adjust from reset 1 then SVM is still at maximum effect, as are a number of other 'features' that merely get in the way of creating a good picture. Once you're on reset 3 go into the picture menu and disable black stretch. It's a bloody awful feature that merely skews colour balance. Just look at dark red's and turn this on/off - see what you think. In some cases it turns dark red to black! It's only meant to make blacks look blacker believe it or not! In the same menu turn DNR to '0' - with a set top box you don't need this at all; this is only needed (if at all) for poor or noisy signal from the analogue tuner. Then set your sharpness back to 0.

Now readjust your colour/brightness/contrast settings to your taste. I found on my mate's ZP18 that contrast 45-50, brightness 50-55 and colour around 40 looks good, but obviously this differs from set to set, the kit you're using and personal taste. If you find the picture too soft after you've done this then use reset 2 - the SVM effect is still active but more limited than it is on reset 1.

Oh, and if you're using a set top box this bit is well important. Make sure you use SCART 1 or 2 on the TV, the SCART lead is RGB wired and the set top box can output an RGB signal. If you're on composite (normal) video output the picture will look absolutely horrid on one of these sets. They do not tolerate poor signal and make no bones about showing you how crap it is.

Hope this is useful.

3. Sandmartin

Sandmartin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi
    I took delivery of a 36ZP46 on Sunday and was also surprised by the factory settings Contrast 100 Colour 50 Brightness 50. I have used the settings that were posted by bboy-mass in another thread and I am pleased with the result. So thanks bboy-mass.

Overall I am pleased with the performance but have some issues with picture geomety, the right hand bottom of the picture bends up by about 10mm and on some transmissions where ther are narrow bars down the side these show some distortion but on full screen broadcasts no distortion is apparent. Its not a huge problem but if there is an easy way to rectify either of these faults I would like to know.
    I am using Sky+ as terrestrial reception in our area is poor

I managed to get the set fom Currys for £950 but its a long story

4. mrdiscopop

mrdiscopop
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Laurel&Hardy... I understand most of your post, but I'm not sure how to access the different factory resets. Is it possible that it's called by another name? (there is a setting called "Picture Mode" which looks like it could be similar).

5. giger

giger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Hi

Can someone possibly point me in the direction of these settings as I am expecting delivery soon and would like to configure this beast correctly! I'm unable to find through 'Search'

6. Respighi

Respighi
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  7. giger

giger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Cheers matey, just what I was after :smashin:

I assume that that room size and lighting etc will mean that these settings will not look good for all. Anyway, i'll have a look if mine ever arrives.

8. davee b

davee b

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Is it possible to change all 4 picture mode settings i.e. M, 1, 2 & 3. 3 in particular is horrendous and i would like to have several manual settings to compare with each other.

Initially i assumed all 4 could be changed but when i try to change 1, 2 or 3 it simply changes my M settings instead.

9. sparticus

sparticus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Hi
    When you edit the factory presets it doesnt actually change them. But as i understand it you are then saving your edit of that particular picture mode. L+H made a very valid point about mode 3 and svm. Almost all posts ive seen recommend svm to off for virtually all tvs. Im sure someone else will know more but as i understand it the factory presets are not just the contrast etc but also picture enhancing modes. If anyone knows where to find the info on what the pic modes do that would be great.

10. DSLee

DSLee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +161
    Hi all,

I have just bought myself the 32ZP48, and mighty impressed i am, just swapped it for a toshiba LCD, which i was so dissapointed with.

Anyway, with reference to this post, could someone please actually tell me how to access the factory settings, so i can have a play with whats been suggested here, i love the picture on the TV, but if it can be adjusted to give it that bit more uumph! that all the better.

Thanks!

11. Laurel&Hardy

Laurel&Hardy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If it's just the picture settings than all these are available using the remote as normal. For instance selecting picture mode (or reset) 3 then adjusting the contrast/brightness/colour helps enormously.

If it's geometry you want to adjust then you need service mode. To get in here press the mute button on the remote twice and on the second press hold it down. Then press the menu button on the TV and it goes into S mode. It's said so many times but it's always worth repeating - do not go into service menu if you don't have to or are not sure of what to do, and if you do note every setting before you change it! Don't alter settings such as GDRV, BDRV, RCUT, BCUT, GCUT because that will upset the white balance. From memory the main geometry settings on my 51WH are CPAR, CSAW, PARA, TRAP, WID, HIT, VLIN, VPOS, HPOS, VPS1 and VPS2. There are some others, but I think they are specific to my RPTV because they aren't on my mate's ZP18. Note every one of these down before altering them in case you muck up (easily done!), and make sure you have some sort of test pattern to look at before you start playing - it is much easier to see what needs changing with a test pattern. Also, before altering any setting make sure the set has been running for about an hour to ensure it is fully warmed up. Adjustments from cold will normally look totally wrong when the set warms up. I would avoid doing this routine in picture mode 1 because in my opinion the tube is being overdriven and it will give odd results when you go back to a more normal picture setting. Picture mode 2 is a good compromise, but your own settings are fine as long as the contrast is not too high, 60+ for example.

To get out of S mode simply press standby twice and you will go back to normal user mode.

Hope this is useful and be careful in there!

12. paulryan

paulryan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I too after much deliberation decided on the 32ZP48 and am extremely happy
    with it, especially after following the settings at http://www.avforums.com/forums/show...t=147573&page=2
    I just upped the colour a tad to my preference.

Its probably the only 32" tv under 80cm width which was a requirement
    and i found it for £699@ www.totaldigital.biz which is a steal.

I had been looking at 28" tvs as it had to go into a cabinet but was very happy when i realised the 32zp48 would fit.

I had looked at LCDs etc and the toshiba 32WL48 is a cracker but to be honest i dont really need HDTV right now and it will be quite a few years before its mainstream here so dont think i want to pay a premium for it right now.