1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Toshiba xxZD26P - Complete summary

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by bibooo, Dec 2, 2002.

1. bibooo

bibooo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Due to the unfeasibly long thread on the Toshiba 32/36ZD26P, I thought it would be useful to have a quick reference guide. It is now impossible to find any information easily without spending an entire weekend reading through the 1000+ posts.

This will hopefully save any more unnecessary questions/queries about this set which have already been answered.
    Moderators, it may be worth making this a "sticky".

Picture problem summary. (3rd post)

More information on the "flaring" problem, and a possible solution (thanks to Juboy). (last post)

A rough guide to picture settings. (2nd post)
    MAKE ALL ADJUSTMENTS FROM PICTURE MODE 3, this will disable SVM and other "enhancements".

The importance of using Progress Mode.

Accessing the service menu and useful geometry tips.

Designer menu.

Using Cinema/Wide/Superlive/4:3 picture modes.

Brief progressive scan info. (4th post)

The xxZD26P DOES NOT accept Pal progressive scan from an external source.

NTSC Widescreen switching issues.

Online retailers. (3rd and 5th post)

P, B and Q suffixes. e.g 36ZD26 P

If anyone can think of a topic not covered, please feel free to add any useful information.

bibooo

2. gmt steve

gmt steve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    What a guy!

3. RiskyLuca

RiskyLuca

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Excellent idea Bibooo and thanks for the tips at the end of the previous thread.

4. Soy1

Soy1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks m8. I've just ordered one of these and this guide will be very handy.

5. ditton15

ditton15
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    biboo,

my nomination for 2002

6. Willy

Willy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Feel free to move this to wherever is most relevant. Just thought I should let you know that I got this TV for £910 including delivery & installation using the John Lewis pricematch. Got them to pricematch RGB Direct's Ilford store price of £880.

JL were v helpful & sent me a letter so I could take it along & buy at the reduced price.

Thanks to all those who posted pricematch information. Would never have managed it without you.

For additional info, here's the process I used:

Step 1: Find the TV you want. Chances are JL will stock it somewhere. They don't have to have it in your local (mine didn't) - they can get it delivered from elsewhere at no additional cost.

Step 2: Find it cheaper at one of the online shops. For the purposes of the pricematch (more on this later), the retailer must have a shopfront. Robertsons Online and RGB Direct (who I used) are 2 that do. Just do a google search for them.

Step 3: Call the shop version of the online store and confirm the price and that they have it in stock. Important - it must be in stock.

Step 4: Call your local JL and tell them you want to buy the TV from them, but that you have seen it cheaper elsewhere. Ask them to pricematch and give them the store name & phone no.

Step 5: Wait for JL to get back to you. If all goes well then they will send you a letter confirming that you can have the tv for the lower price.

Step 6: Take the letter with you to JL and buy the TV.

7. CooLix

CooLix

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Very much appreciated bibooo!!!!

Thanks!

8. bibooo

bibooo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Thanks for everyone's comments; they are greatly appreciated.
    I have added a couple more links; any further useful information I find will be included for future reference.

bibooo

9. Yugo1

Yugo1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Bibooo,

You do seem to be very up on the 32zd26p. I have now got mine and am awaiting an engineer. I also have a sloping black border going down from left to right, I can see the scan lines and when in my DVD menu (Denon f-100) I can see 'hatching' around text moving left to right.

I have read alot of your previous notes but I am wondering if you think it should go back?

Cheers and thanks for all the advise.

Yugo1

10. Willy

Willy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, my Tosh 32ZD26P got delivered this morning. Overall I am delighted, but I have one concern that I don't think I have read about here.

My TV seems to work fine - I've tried it with my Xbox, PS2 & video player. I don't seem to have any of the problems some people have reported, but I do seem to get 'framerate' issues when playing ro Evolution Soccer 2. Basically, every time a long pass is played across the screen (left to right or vice versa) the whole screen jerks and it looks a bit like a game looks when it was struggling to keep up a decent framerate.

However, when I put the TV in progessive mode (from the menu) this problem goes away! Has anyone else experienced this, and is there a reason why it is happening?

Cheers.

11. ian-sharp

ian-sharp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have seen the 32" for £859.00. Having read previous posts, is the general feeling that this tv is worth buying or has anyone got a better suggestion for this price?

Ta

12. bibooo

bibooo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Yugo1,

If the black bars are sloping, which means the top black bar and bottom black bar are parallel, you should get the effect that the whole screen has been rotated by a few degrees. The 36ZD has a Geomagnetic feature, which allows minimal rotation of the screen to rectify this problem, however the 32ZD does not. A service engineer should be able to fix this, but don't quote me on that.
    However if you mean that the top and bottom black bars bow/bend up or down there is nothing you or a service engineer can do. I think Toshiba's tolerance on this is +/- 5mm, so technically if your black borders are within this tolerance, the TV is fine (in Toshiba's view). This wasn't fine with me and I had two replacements (as well as four others for different reasons) until I settled for my current TV; even this one is not perfect, it's probably out by 1 or 2mm at various points.

If you can see scan lines, switch the TV to Progress mode, this will eliminate any trace of line structure even with NTSC material.

"Hatching" around the text (if I understand you correctly) suggests you are watching a composite video source (as opposed to a crisp RGB source). Make sure the DVD player is connected to AV1 (the only RGB input) and also make sure the DVD is set to output RGB (not video or S-Video).

Willy,

I don't own any consoles at the moment so I can't test this. However, did you see this problem on your previous TV?
    If it was apparent on your old TV, then it's good news that using Progress Mode eliminates it now.

In my opinion Progress Mode is the only picture mode you should ever need to use, regardless of what the source is.

ian-sharp,

Yes it is worth getting, nothing comes close in the same price range (IMO). Just pray that you get one without any of the numerous faults.

13. Willy

Willy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the response Biboo - you are a star. I'd insert a star emoticon but I can't find one, so you'll just have to use your imagination!

Anyway, no - my old TV never used to do this - that's why I'm a little concerned. However, I'll just keep it in progress mode & hope for the best.

Cheers...:p

14. Yugo1

Yugo1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thankyou very much bibooo for the reply. You do seem to know your stuff and if they were still doing 'Heart of Gold' on BBC1 I would vote for you;) .

I am going to wait till I get SKY fitted and then get an engineer out. Generally the TV is fab but as always with these things I think we all get too excited. I think they should deliver on the day you order and not put us through the wait.

Cheers again.

Yugo1

15. Yugo1

Yugo1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OH and I forgot to say I am using RGB, AV1 and the DVD is set to Video because I can only choose that or S-video.

Cheers

Yugo1

16. bibooo

bibooo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Yugo1,

Thank you for your comments. I didn't realise that your DVD player can't output RGB, so the next best thing would be S-Video.

Set the DVD player to output S-Video, connect it to AV2; you will also have to let the TV know you are watching an S-Video source:

Press Menu.

Go right (Vol+) to select "Feature Menu".

Go down (Channel-) to select "AV Connection" and press the OK button.

EXT2 should be highlighted, change it from "AV" to "S-Video" by moving right (Vol+).

Exit the menu (press Menu).

You should now notice a significant improvement over the composite video feed you have been watching; this should also eliminate the "hatching" on the DVD player's set-up menu.

Let me know what happens.

17. j4sonk

j4sonk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi ya bibooo any idea what scnt should be as standard in service menu,or has anybody listed standard defaults.should have written them down, dooooh'

18. Yugo1

Yugo1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Bibooo,

Just checked. You are the ring that controls all other rings...man you know your stuff. My DVD does not appear to support RGB. S-Video it is then....BOOOOO!

Cheers

Yugo

19. bibooo

bibooo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Yugo1,

Hopefully S-Video will offer a great improvement over composite. I would be interested to know if this works for you.

j4sonk,

As such there a no standard service menu settings or defaults. The service menu settings on my TV may vary greatly from yours; trying to replicate these could make your picture worse, or in a worst case scenario, damage it beyond repair.

Have a look at Juboy's and Spoonman2's discussion at the end of the thread (here); when spoonman tried to emulate Juboy's settings (for colour) he ended up with a predominantly green screen.

20. j4sonk

j4sonk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    cheers bibooo found the thread.

21. sparrow-07

sparrow-07

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    :confused: Can anybody tell me why this thread hasn't been made a "Sticky" yet :confused:

bibooo should be rewarded by being given his rightfull place at the top of the tree ;)

22. apul

apul

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    i agree, make sticky. im gonna buy one of these soon and i'll be needing this thread alot.
    ok went into JL in newcastle today and they had if for £995, is this a good price (including 5yr warranty) online can be got for £880ish (normal 1yr manuafturer warranty)

23. Yugo1

Yugo1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Got mine from JL Solihull for £849 plus 5 year. Check with the cheadle branch of jl and ask if they still price match for that price. There was a thread explaining who was doing it for that price so jl matched.

If so your branch will match cheadle jl.

Cheers

Yugo

24. bibooo

bibooo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    I've made a few more additions to this guide, as I noticed there have been a few questions recently about the ZD. Hopefully this update will provide some answers.

bibooo

25. kwangomango

kwangomango

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
  26. bibooo

bibooo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Just bumping this thread, as there have been a few questions recently that have already been answered here.

27. zarf99

zarf99
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yugo1,

I see that you have a Denon AVF100 and a Tosh 32ZD26, are you using the component output on the DVD player, this should give better pictures than the SVideo and will save a Scart input. I'm asking as I have the AVF100 system and am looking to get a new TV, the Tosh 36ZD26 appeals to me and I'm wondering how well the AVF100 works with the component input on the Tosh.

thanks

Zarf99

28. ditton15

ditton15
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think that its important that we do not post lots and lots of posts to this thread, as it will grow in length and become unmangeable, just like the other very useful thread on the Tosh tv.

Otherwise our Biboo will be obliged to do a summary of this summary thread.

All of which post-ironic meanderings is meant to say, yes I agree that we should ask the Mods (& therefore Spectre) to make this a sticky.

ditton

29. Yugo1

Yugo1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

Hi Zarf99,

S-video I'm affraid. The other half won't let me spend money on component (cow). I would imagine it would be good though as the f-100 looks great with just s-video on the Tosh.

Cheers

30. zarf99

zarf99
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yugo1,

thanks for the reply, I'm using my dvdf100 through svhs too, to my tosh 28w8db at the moment, and get a great picture.

Forgive my ignorance, but do you have to use special cables for component, they just look like phono connections to me, so I thought that I would be able to try it out using phono cables such as those used for composite video.

cheers

zarf99