Toshiba Xs34 Set-up Help Please!!

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by The Foot, Aug 7, 2005.

1. The Foot

The Foot
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have just bought a Toshiba HDD/DVR recorder to replace my VCR. Can anyone guide me through what scart cables should be connected to what if i tell u the following..

Panasonic TV 1RGB scart and 1VCR scart.
    Sky Box 2 scarts 1 says for TV the other says VCR
    Tosh HDD recorder. 2 scarts AV1 says audio/video IN/OUT AV2 says Sat/Decoder IN/OUT

If anyone can make this as simple as poss I would be grateful (maybe a diagram?) I tried connecting using the booklet instructions but couldn't get the TV to switch from terrestrial TV to SKY. So I went back to the way I had it connected before when I had a VCR (and needed tio use a scart switcher)

At the moment I have TV RGB to SKY Tv RGB and then SKY VCR to TOSH AV1.

So when I now turn TV on it comes onto Terrestrial TV channel( this is an anomally with the Panny) I then have to press a macro button I have programmed in my remote (Home Theatre Master MX500) to switch it to SKY.

I can then watch TV as normal regardless of whether Tosh is on standby or not. I thought I had it all sussed and so earlier today whilst Footie was on and I was going out I selected HDD and just pressed record hoping that this would record footie onto hard disk as this was the SKY channel it was on but when I came back there was nothing on there. The Tosh handbook is very confusing compared to others I have had so please please help asap!!

2. jdarushall

jdarushall

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Firstly I've no idea why people object so much about looking at the manual. There is some fantastic stuff in there! I may be confusing but not bothering won't get you or anyone else anywhere.

The best item for you is the quick setup guide and I think your problem is you are treating it like a video recorder. I isn't!!!

Connect The TV Out (RGB) from Sky to the AV2 input on the Tosh.

Connect the AV1 output on the Tosh to you TV.

Set Sky, Tosh and TV for RGB

Switch on Tosh and your TV should autoswitch and you can play or watch DVD or recordings.

To watch Sky press the Sat Mon button and it shows Sky, it will do this regardless of wether the Tosh is on or not.

If you leave the Tosh with the Sat Mon button on your Sky/TV will behave as if it was connected directly.

If you use you VCR out on the Sky box the picture quality will not be as good.

Simple really!!

3. martin day

martin day
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the reply. When I get home tonite I will try again and set up as you advise. Just a note though. I spent a lot of time reading the instructions and unless you're AV literate (as you obviously are) then it isn't really that easy as I think quite a few other threads re the TOSH instructions will testify.

I will let you know.

4. jdarushall

jdarushall

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I didn't mean to have a go at you but you are correct, but the point is that the Tosh is not for the average person, it is an editing deck and hence the instruction manuals are written in such a way.

I took the trouble to read the manual 3 time all the way through and didn't understand it. Now when I need to do something I have an idea of what the problem is about.

An example - do you know what the "Extend" button does???

I had no idea, but having programmed a recording that was running late I thought "I need to extend the recording" so I looked at the manual to see what the "extend" button did, then suddenly realised this is excatly what I needed and behold you press it and you recording time is extended on each press.

5. martin day

martin day
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thats ok JD. Thanks for coming back. Anyway I have now sorted out the connections and am able to switch over to satellite by pressing satmon and I have been able to record a channel that I am watching butother than that I am having so much trouble trying to get videoplus to work.

Can I just ask this first. Do you have to have the infra red device connected to be able to use videoplus or is that just to enable the remote to control satbox? I have connected this and put in every code but still can't get it to work. First i tried the sky digital nos then all the Panasonic ones but no luck.

I then went in and tried to set up sat channels and again selected sky digital which it accepted and brought up a list of the SKY channel nos and then guide channel nos which were diff. ie sky one is 106 but the guide channel is 101 (BBC?). So if I am recording a sky channel what no do I use the sky or the guide channel? Also after selecting SKY digital when I went back to 'channel setting menu' it still says AUTO and not SAT CHANNELS. Is this correct?

I must say I never had this trouble with my Panny VCR . You just put the correct sat channel in and it switched it over to record it.

I have really tried to read the booklet but can't get this up and running so any help would be appreciated!!

6. jdarushall

jdarushall

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you have Sky+ there is no need to read any further as the magic eye won't work as Sky+ uses different codes.

If you are still here you must have a regular Sky box, since all the Sky boxes use the same remote then the code is the same regardless of the manufacturer. The satellite code for "settop box setting" is the one for the Pansonic Tu31 which is 1520.

The magic eye should be able to see the front of the sky box so it can transmit the signal.

To test press "Sat Con" then type 106 on the keypad and you should see 106 appear on the screen and the channel change.

Now I don't use VideoPlus at all, when do programmes ever start on time.

If you have to then you can always change any of the information as all videoplus does is insert, start, finish time and the channel number.

The way I program it is to set the time and for the channel you press sat con and type in the channel number ie 106.

The display will say S106 and hence will turn the Sky box over to that channel 30 seconds before the recording starts.

I thought you could just change the guide setting for each channel but you have to set it for manual to edit them.

It should work the same as a Panasonic VCR except you have to leave the Sky box switched on. The Panasonic VCR I had turn the box on changed the channel and turned the box off.

7. aceandy79

aceandy79
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can I add a question to this about the setup? I have been looking at DVD/HDDs for quite a while now and recall an issue that came up some time ago regarding all models, which was that the boxes did not 'pass through' the RGB signal from a Sky box to the TV. Reading what is written here about the Sky/TV behaving as if they were directly connected suggests that this is not a problem on this box. Is the case on all boxes now or just the Tosh?
    Thanks.

8. martin day

martin day
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    JD thanks for coming back. Unfortunately I go on holiday tomorrow morning for two weeks so may not get time to do this so please don't think I am not bothered.

As soon as I try it I will let you know either way.

Thanks again for your help.

9. jdarushall

jdarushall

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Toshiba passes through the signal with no processing, this includes video/rgb signals. When On fully or in standby.

I can't be certain but not all machines behave the same, some won't pass the signal through unless the machine is in switched on and not in standby.

Some you have to set AV2 as RGB in and AV1 as RGB out or you get some problems. The Toshiba works by just sending what comes in on AV2 out on AV1 ,hence the reason it works OK in standby.