Toshiba XS34 DVD Compatible Mode

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by blacksnow, Aug 4, 2005.

1. blacksnow

blacksnow
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've just bought a Toshiba RD-XS34SB &, being new to this, am a bit confused about the DVD Compatability issue. From what I understand, if the mode is off when recording to HDD, then any copies made to DVD-R/RW will not be playable on other machines. But in ON Modes 1 or 2 the manual seems to imply that either the left or right source channel is recorded onto both channels of the destination. This doesn't seem right, & I'm sure I've misunderstood - all I want to do is make decent stereo recordings - could someone please explain this to me? Sorry if this question seems a bit obvious, but I've read the manual & it has completely addled my brain........

2. iano

iano

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Never managed work that one out myself ...... will be interesting to find out the answer .... I just left it on the default setting and everything seems fine ..... :)

3. narke

narke

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I believe that the difference between the two modes is the bit rate.
    Mode 1 is 192 Kbps
    Mode 2 is 384 Kbps
    I have only had my XS34 for 2 days and have tried both settings in DVD compatibility mode, they both made discs that I could play on another machine.
    I think the left/right channel comment only applies to multichannel broadcasts i.e. broadcasts where more than one language is transmitted simultaneously.
    I just wish the manual had been written with end users in mind, I find it confusing for a domestic consumer product.

4. blacksnow

blacksnow
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the replies - what you say about the multichannel broadcasts makes a lot of sense. Regarding the manual, I was already aware, from having trawled this & other websites, that it had a poor reputation, but it really is a masterpiece of bad translation isn't it?

5. felix2

felix2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    I'm no expert, but to be able to make DVDs from the hard disk, you need to record with "DVD compatible mode ON". Whether it's "on mode I" or "on mode II" only makes a difference for multi-channel broadcasting (i.e. it's irrelevant to you & me!!).

The audio QUALITY mode is a separate thing, & is set entirely independently of the DVD compatible mode. The audio quality setting defaults to Dolby M1 (192 kbps, slightly better than MP3 quality), or you can choose Dolby M2 (384 kbps i.e. twice as good), or L-PCM which means full uncompressed CD quality (but uses up more disk space). Hope that makes sense!

6. narke

narke

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    felix2
    You are correct, I was getting the video mode and audio quality mixed up, I must read the manual more carefully.

7. felix2

felix2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    Hardly makes good bed-time reading though, does it?!!!

8. narke

narke

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    No it does not, in fact the more I read it the more confused I seem to get.