Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Toshiba XS34 and Videoplus

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by narke, Aug 6, 2005.

1. narke

narke

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I have Toshiba XS34 and am having trouble programming the machine to record with Videoplus. If I input the numbers for a programme on BBC1 the machine enters the channel number as S101, this is the satellite channel number for BBC1. The problem is that I want it to record from BBC1 on terrestrial TV as I will be watching another Sky channel whilst BBC1 is recorded.

I know I can set the timer manually but that defeats the convenience of Videoplus.

I have looked through the manual and can't seem to find a solution.
    Am I missing something obvious.

This problem occurs if I try to input the numbers for any of the terrestrial channels.

2. narke

narke

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I think I have sorted the problem, it would appear that when you tell the machine which satellite service that you use it installs a set of pre-defined channels numbers. Because Sky channels 101-105 correspond to terrestrial channels 1-5, it overrides the latter.

I have removed the guide channels numbers for the Sky channels and re-installed them for terrestrial TV and it now works.

I have 5 machines with Videoplus and only the Toshiba functions like this!

:confused:

3. sinclair

sinclair

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think the Tosh implementation is eminently sensible as in most circumstances people would want to record from their digital feed. If you've removed the Sky guide channels will the videoplus still work for the satellite channels? If not, I would think that the easiest thing would be to set the videoplus and then simply channel to 1,2,3 or 4 in the record menu.

4. narke

narke

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I can still record from satellite channels (101-105) if I set the channels manually on the record menu. I have left all the other channels as they were.

Re the guide channels, I am not sure what they mean, Sky1 has a guide channel number of 101 but the satellite channel number is 106 in the channel setup menu. I don't know where the guide numbers come from or what their relationship to the actual channel number is.

I find that the way I have it set up suits me, others may prefer the Toshiba way.

5. The Foot

The Foot
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have just got my XS34 and thanks to the help from here I have at least got the connections right between my sky box, TV and TOSH and now know how to switch to SKY by using SatMon.

But now I need some help with recording sat channels. I just tried to set a recording with videoplus and used sat control to change channel to sat number ie 106 for SKY ONE thinking that it was that straightforward. But when timer came on I thought it would trip channel over from 101 BBC1 which we were watching to 106. But nothing happened and I think it must have just recorded 101 (although I haven't had a chance to check this).

with my VCR (panasonic) when we set timer rec it would automaticallty switch the channel over to the selected SKY channel.?

What am I doing wrong please?

6. narke

narke

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I have just tried it on my machine and it worked fine, I programmed it manually as I use terrestrial TV for BBC1 -Channel 5 . It turned my Sky box from 101 to 106.
    What channel number is displayed in the CH box on the rec menu page when you use Videoplus to record Sky one. It should be S106.

7. bluedoo

bluedoo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    the foot

you did set up your magic eye did you
    as per installation guide

8. martin day

martin day
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Bluedoo, sorry I didn't do this as I thought the magic eye was just to give you the ability to use the TOSH remote to control the SATBOX and as I already have a TheaterMaster MX500 which does this then I didn't think I needed to do this for the Videoplus function.

Goin on Hols soon so may not get chance to do this before I go but I will get back to you to let you know how it went!!

Thanks
    Martin(aka The Foot)