1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Toshiba XS32 - the best for my needs?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by dvdud, Feb 1, 2005.

1. dvdud

dvdud

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi.My primary objective for buying a dvd rec was to transfer/archive lots of old vhs tapes. I would like to edit bits here and there too. I have now acquired a freeview box so this has added another option for future recordings. The JVC DMR10 was on my list (recommended by a prominent member here for its quality vhs transfers) but won’t allow me to do the editing I require for my tapes so wonder if the Tosh XS32 is my best choice? Though I don’t like the sound of the difficulty involved in understanding its myriad functions and poorly written manual. I will want to copy some of the discs I make which should be playable on most peeps machines if that helps. Thanks I.A. for any replies
    Ps. Budget up to £350 – preferably less ;-)

2. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,261
    The Toshiba RDXS32 is an excellent DVD recorder and would do everything you want as well as fit your budget. VHS transfer won't quite be up to the standard of the JVC but will come close - and the RGB input for Freeview/Sky recording more than makes up for it.

The Toshiba is a well discussed machine here - if you haven't already have a look at the Toshiba Review Thread.

3. dvdud

dvdud

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the reply as well as the excellent info you provide via your link covering the important issues to consider when making a purchase. Invaluable!

4. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,261
    Thanks for the kind words. Glad the site is proving useful.

5. JayCee

JayCee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,912
    In what way is it not quite up to the standard of the Jvc?

6. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,261
    The JVC has noise reduction and picture stability enhancing features optimised for VHS transfers. Other DVD recorders, Toshiba included, offer similar but none quite to the standard of JVC. The difference is minimal - but it is there nonetheless.

7. TobyW

TobyW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Having tried the Tosh 32 and returned it in favour of a Panny 85, here are some observations that you may wish to consider.

1. I found that the Tosh 32 did a good job of automatically adjusting the brightness and contrast, from VHS tapes that were less than perfect. This was better than the Panny 85.

2. On the other hand, I had some VHS tapes that had been copied from Betamax tapes, and the Tosh was unable to keep up with the cumulative timing jitter. By contrast, the Panny had no trouble at all.

3. The Panny 85 has a noise filter for VHS use, but I haven't yet convinced myself whether it makes a useful difference or not. Both machines work well without it.

4. The Panny can reportedly put 3 hours of full resolution on a DVD, whereas the Tosh drops to half resolution at around 2 hours 20 minutes. I found the difference was noticeable on the Tosh, but it's a subjective thing. From a VHS source, the Panny's LP mode (half resolution) is nearly as good as the VHS original. I plan to do most of my VHS transfers at between 3 and 4 hours per disk. Even the Panny's 8-hour EP mode is quite usable for the less visually-important material.

5. I have found the Panny 85 to be easier to use than the Tosh 32. OK so it doesn't have a live bitrate display.

6. Playing with my toy at night, the Tosh's fan kept my wife awake, whereas the Panny lets her sleep.

8. TobyW

TobyW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Rasczak, would you happen to know the flexible-recording time threshold at which the Panny 85 drops from half-resolution to quarter-resolution?

9. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,261
    It never drops to quarter resolution. The only two authorised resolutions are 'Full Resolution' (which is 720/704 x 576) and 'Half Resolution' (352 x 576/288). The former is used upto the 3hr mode and the latter used for all other modes upto and including the 8hr one.

Some models, such as the JVC range, use a variety of intrim resolutions between Full and Half resolutions - but all of these are above Half Resolution which is the minimum allowed.

10. TobyW

TobyW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Thank Rasczak. What I really meant was, when does it change from 576 to 288?

11. redsox_mark

redsox_mark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +621
    Firstly I must declare I'm a happy XS32 owner...

Compared to the Pany E85, the XS32 has a couple of extrra features: it can write to -RW discs (re-recordable disks you can use on other players), and it has DV-in (useful if you have a DV camcorder).

Having said that, if those aren't important to you, and you are going to want to put 3 or more hours on a disc, then the E85 might be better for you. The XS32 does drop the resolution at 2:20 (bitrate of 3.8 or less), while the Panny is reported to be able to do 3 hours at full resolution.

Mark

12. TobyW

TobyW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Folks, the FR resolution thresholds on the Panny E85, according to my testing, are as follows...

704x576 up to 2 hrs 59 mins
    352x576 from 3 hrs 00 mins to 4 hrs 46 mins
    352x288 from 4 hrs 47 mins upwards

To find the thresholds, I recorded many short clips to HDD, with FR duration settings going in 1-minute increments in the expected threshold regions. I high-speed dubbed the clips to a DVD, which I then inspected on a PC. To do that, I used the shareware version of "Bitrate Viewer" from www.tecoltd.com.