toshiba xs32 recording problem (dvd-r e dvd-rw) help please

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by loreweb, Aug 8, 2005.

1. loreweb

loreweb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a lot of problems when I try to record from HD to dvd (-r or -rw).
    The machine doesn't succeed in recording on -r (4 or 8x). Also on verbatim and tdk. After I've put the disc on the tray, it tells me that there is a problem with the disc, "the disc may be dirty" or something similar. I have tried many many times.
    Sometimes instead, the xs32 makes the record on the disc (-r), but when I push the menu button, everything stops and it tell me the disc maybe dirty. If I open the tray and then close it, the xs32 tell me I have insert a blank dvd!!
    All these problems can depend on the fact I have used dvd-r 8 and the recorder is definitively broken?
    On -rw the recorder make his job, but when I try to finalize the disc the machine tell me it can't see the menu (or write the menu, I don't remember) and it stops to work.
    Sometimes the machinse stops formatting dvd-rw on 39% (only with some dvd-rw not with tdk)
    Can someone help me??
    thanks

2. alan8477

alan8477

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I avoid using -R discs in favour of -RW. I find DVD recorders too unreliable when it comes to burning discs. I copy to -RW for use around the house on other DVD players, and if I want to keep a permanent copy I create it on -RW and then burn a 'PC' copy on -R.

3. jdarushall

jdarushall

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sounds as if your drive/firmware is the problem.

You can do one of two things

1) Return it to the shop for a refund or replacement, or Toshiba who have repaired a lot of machines.

2) Upgrade the Firmware which gives compatability with varrious makes of disks.

There have been lots of posts about such problems which were only cured by one of the above.

Test by using a TDK -RW or the -R recommeded in the manual (TY dye). If either of these give you the same problem then the drive is faulty and has to be replaced.

If they both work it is just being fussy about discs and a firmware upgrade will cure most compatibility problems.

4. loreweb

loreweb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

I've already upgraded the firmware (I think now it's 1416). The problems have begun just when I started using 8x disc, I think. Or when I upgraded the firmware.

Using TDK -RW never had problems. I will try with verbatim TY 4x.

I have tryed with TDK 8x and Verbatim 8x AZO and I have had the same problem, only with -R not with -RW. Somethime it works with low brand DVD-R (bulkpaq or similar).

Do you think that retourning to old firmware (1414 or 1415) maybe a good idea?

Many thanks

loreweb

5. jdarushall

jdarushall

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The 1416 firmware was supposed to give more compatability with newer dyes. ie dyes in X8 disc but it will only record at 4x of course.

The 1415 firmware sorted a lot of "dirty disc" problems, the 1416 was more for 4x -RW.

You could try going back to 1415 but I think you will have the same problems with 1414.

If it consistant in rejecting a certain type of disc/dye then I would say it was the firmware.

If it is random, like my first machine that would sometimes work, then the next time you used the same disc it wouldn't, then I would say the drive is faulty.

Obviuosly the reason for upgrading the firmware is to make it compatable with new disc/dyes as the come out. With the problems of getting X4 discs increasing, people have to buy 8X disc using a newer dye hence the need for the upgrade.

Again Toshiba UK think we don't need to upgrade but apparently if you send it back it does get upgraded and or a new drive!