1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Toshiba XS32 - Recording modes

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Rebecca, Oct 24, 2004.

1. Rebecca

Rebecca

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have been reading the Tosh Manual Recording mode, and I find it very convenient. However, I have a question:

Looking at the variable bit rate, you can linearly decrese it until 2.0 (4h 20 min). At this point, there is a big jump until 1.4 (6h 4 min). This means that if I have a 2-hour movie and a 3-hour movie, I cannot choose any bit rate equivalent to 5 hours, so that I can put both together in a DVD. Therefore, I should record them both as SP mode, and then re-encode and dub them. The question is if by doing this, the machine would choose the appropriate bit rate to fit a DVD (something between 2.0 and 1.4), or it would default them directly to 1.4.
    I hope I have explained myself clearly....

Kisses.
    Rebecca. ;)

2. jdarushall

jdarushall

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had a bit of a shock on Saturday as Tmp DVD author said that something I had just dubed to Ram was an incompatable format.

So I got I -RW and recorded a minute at each resolution.

Down to 4.0 mode the quality is full resolution (2hr 22 mins)

Down to around (don't have the notes with me) 3.0 (3hrs) the picture quality isn't too bad.

But below this (to LP) there is a noticable difference although still watchable.

2.0 rate is starting to look bad and 1.4 is cheap VHS quality

All recordings were DVD-Video compatable (no idea what happened!)

To answer(?) your question I would only attempt to record up the 3 hrs on a single DVD or 1 film

If you have 5 hrs it would probally default to 1.4 mode as 2.0 would not give you 5hrs. Either way the quality wouldn't be up to much. The machine will only choose a bit rate on a timer recording of 5 hrs. If you were to re-encode you would have to select 1.4 mode.

I did try this when I had the JVC which could alway a 5 hr mode but the picture quality was lower than the original VHS.

If you have two films to record 2hr + 3hr I would record the 2hr one in SP and the 3hr one at 3.0 and put each on a seperate DVD.

I was a bit supprised by the jump from 4hr 20 to 6hrs but having tried a machine that recorded over 4 hours I wouldn't want to go there again the only reason would be if you had to record directly to DVD. Even then if I wanted to keep the recording I would be tempted to say up until the 1st film finished and change the DVD!!!

If you are copying from LP on VHS to DVD I would still put each film on a DVD as I have found encoding to DVD will make the quality worse if you pick a rate below 3.0, best to try to stick to 4.0 or better.

3. nunew33

nunew33
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Lytham St Annes, where people are put out to grass
    Ratings:
    +2
    If you are reencoding start with maximum resolution rather than SP. I have noted that the end result of re encoding from Max bit rate gives better results than re encoding from SP when recrding from the tuner

4. OARDVD

OARDVD
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would like to reiterate what nunew33 said. I know there's no fixed 1 hour XP mode on the Tosh but pick the highest manual mode (9.2) which will be the equivalent. However, Rebecca, you won't get great quality if you put 5 hours on one DVD, especially if you have an additional encoding process. Obviously picture quality is somewhat subjective and YMMV.

BTW, if you're interested, the Pioneer has quite a few smaller increments between 4 hours and 6 hours duration. One of them is exactly at 5 hours.

5. Rebecca

Rebecca

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the info.
    I have asked about the Tosh since the general opinion around here is that it has a slightly better recording quality than the Pioneer. Am I right?

Kisses.
    Rebecca. ;)