1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Toshiba XS32 - Problems with DVD-RW

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Rebecca, Oct 31, 2004.

1. Rebecca

Rebecca

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have recorded a DVD-RW with the Tosh and have finalised it. The DVD-RW is a TDK 2x. It plays with no problem on my laptop, but it is not accepted by my old JVC VCR/DVD combo..... (TDK 8x DVD-R are working perfectly on both machines.)

1) Is there anything I can do to the DVD-RW so that I can be played on the JVC?
    2) Could another DVD-RW brand be recognized by the JVC? Or since the TDK cannot be played, does it mean that all the DVD-RWs recorded with the Tosh will not play on the JVC?
    3) Does speed have something to do with the problem? I mean that if a use a TDK 1x, is there any chance that the JVC can read it?

Thanks a lot.
    Kisses.
    Rebecca. ;)

2. alicat

alicat
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    -RW is harder for a machine to read as opposed to -R. You really need to burn to -R for your particular machine.

I have just burnt a home movie on my PC to -RW and it plays fine on the XS 32.

My Sony 201 DVD camcorder -RW finalised disc wont play too happily on the XS 32 though!

3. jdarushall

jdarushall

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    DVD Players do have problems with -RW discs, my Toshiba Player like Ritek orange -R, -RW but the Toshiba recorder doesn't.

I found the TDK -RW work in both, the problem is that the Toshiba recorder is about as fussy as a player. verbatum 4x -RW will play, but not record but I found Traxdata 2x -Rw recorded and played in both recorder and player.

BTW The Toshiba recorder does not use the full DVD-Video standard that can effect some older players. If you look on a PC there is no AUDIO_TS folder! - May be a problem for some machines but I can't say why my old Toshiba player doesn't care.

4. Matthew Attoe

Matthew Attoe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    I have these exact same TDK -RW discs.

They won't play in my mac or x-box but will in standalone players.

1 x Verbatim -RW will play in everything I've tried.

5. chris-j

chris-j
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    On a DVD-RW disc try adding an AUDIO_TS folder and try playing on other players.
    I can't get any DVD-R to work on Scan player but copying from RAM to DVD-R on PC and adding AUDIO_TS folder works OK.

6. PhilipL

PhilipL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +421
    Hi

This is complete rubbish and an urban myth now. The Toshiba recorder is approved by the DVD Forum and wouldn't be allowed the DVD logo if it wasn't making discs to the required standard.

For DVD Video, no where in the specifications is an Audio_TS folder specified as a requirement. The Audio_TS folder is used on DVD Audio DVDs, a clue in its name :lesson: . The confusion comes from the recommendation that DVD Audio discs contain a Video_TS folder, not empty however, but either with an AC3 audio track, so at least the audio can be played on a DVD Video player, or a menu explaining the disc is a DVD Audio disc and only plays on DVD Audio players.

Try exactly the same process but omit the AUDIO_TS step. What result do you get now? Some other process you are going through is making a disc that the player likes, but it isn't the act of including an empty folder!

Regards

Philip

7. CyberSurfer

CyberSurfer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a Tosh SD100E, a seasoned and excellent player, but am having a prob finding RW media to suit -
    You mention TDK/Verb/Trax as all working on your player - which model would this be ?
    Also did you have to do any post-record fiddling with config bits on the disc (RW->DVDROM) as I have read elsewhere that this may be needed ?
    Finally where did you get your -RWs ?

Ta muchly in advance

Dave