1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Toshiba XS32 Newbie questions

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by wigsey, Dec 7, 2004.

1. wigsey

wigsey
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have just bought the above and have been grappling with the instruction book. I was wondering if anyone could help.(the first two q's are basic, the last isn't)

1) The machine is very slow to switch on, is this normal ?
    2) The machine is very slow to recognise and play a normal R2 disk is this normal.

I presume that the answer to the above is yes as this is a complicated piece of kit

3) I have tried to use the pause tv option (onto the HDD). As the manual states the picture froze. I then turned the TV off and later turned it on to a different channel.

When I pressed the play to continue from where I left off the screen was blank. The Tosh seems to have recorded the blank screen. About ten minutes later the channel I had switched onto appeared. I had not altered the AV2 tv channel but had just pressed the usual BBc1 as set up on my TV.

What have I done wrong ? The manual does not help. Do I have to leave the tv on and on the same channel to use the pause TV mode

2. SDHoward

SDHoward
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    1) yes especially if you have a dvd in the drive, its faster without.

2) Yes

You probably had it set up to take the input from the TV which means you will record whatever you actually see in the tv, switching the tv off means there is no signal.
    You should either be recording from the internal tuner (select a channel on the recorder) or from whatever set top box you may have. Check your input options, changing the channel on the recorder should change the channel on the tv

3. wigsey

wigsey
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    How do I select the channel. Is it as simple as say for bbc 1 pressing bbc1 on the recorder and then pressing the timeslip button ?

I had the tv on AV2 (ie the dvd channel) and it was showing the correct tv channel. I left AV2 on itv when I turned off the set.

Sorry If i'm being a bit thick

4. SDHoward

SDHoward
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hmm.. interesting.. it sounds like everything should be ok, and from your earlier post the picture froze...

what happens when you press the channel up/down buttons on the sx32 remote?

How exactly is everything connected up?

5. TVHEAD

TVHEAD
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
  6. wigsey

wigsey
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    When I press the channel up and down it goes av2, bbc1,bbc2,itv etc

Set up is scart sattelite to tosh
    Scart tosh to tv
    Tv ariel into tosh

(in other words just the basic set up)

7. wigsey

wigsey
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

How do I do this ?

8. SDHoward

SDHoward
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Sounds like you shouldn't have a problem... maybe it was just some strange one off thing.. try it again.
    Make sure the toshiba is on bbc, press the timeslip button, wait a bit, try play / pause picture search, just to make sure its doing its job.
    look at the 2 little sound level graphs on the front of the recorder, switch off the tv and see if they are still moving, wait a bit, switch on the tv and have a look....

9. tobyjuggler

tobyjuggler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Err...did you use the Sky remote to turn your TV off? If you did, this was probably your problem. Pressing the 'TV' button on your Sky remote changes the STB output from RGB to composite and if your Tosh is setup to accept an RGB input it then loses its input. Try it without switching the TV off to confirm it. This is exactly what happened to my very first recording anyway. Just remember not to press the 'TV' button on the Sky remote unless you cover up the IR end first! Try to get used to using either the TV remote again or the TV facilities on the Tosh remote. Sorry, if this isn't the problem.

10. wigsey

wigsey
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No it was the sony tv remote. Although the strange thing is whenever I changed channel with the sony remote the dvd player followed it. I wonder if this is the same problem as you had with the sky ?

11. SDHoward

SDHoward
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    You can change the channel the dvd remote uses... I thought it might be the remote, but I didn't think you could change channel once the dvd was recording.. maybe you can on timeslip..

12. johnjackthom

johnjackthom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +247
    Just double checking the connections, it should be..

Sky TV scart to XS32 AV2
    XS32 AV1 to Television

Not sure if AV2 on the Toshiba XS32 can be switched between Normal/Decoder in the same way as the Panasonics!
    If it can it should be set to normal.

13. TVHEAD

TVHEAD
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Dont know just got my tosh today , post this tip as I am also interested to know more, thought it was straight forward, nothing is with this machine mine is going back if they will have it,

14. SDHoward

SDHoward
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Once you get the hang of it everything seems so simple, give it more than a day...

15. kiwidude

kiwidude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Dude, wish I had read this comment before I went away on holiday for a month - came back to a hard-disk full of mostly blank video caused by exactly this problem... :mad: Recording during my holiday was the whole point of buying it before I went away and not waiting for a later model next year... grrrr... At least I know for next time... :suicide: