Toshiba XS32 media compatibility

theportent

Standard Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking of buying a Toshiba RDXS32 recorder to replace.....................a Phillips 880.
Due to this I have many recordings on DVD+R and DVD+RW media. Could any current toshiba xs32 users tell me if these discs will playback on the Toshiba (I know they won't record).

Due to this I have many recordings on DVD+R and DVD+RW media
I am not sure about DVD+R disks but Toshiba have deliberately disabled DVD+RW from reading in their DVD Recorders and new DVD players. Petty politics I'm afraid.

I have many recordings on +r and my RD-XS32 cannot read them.

I can't seem to get my XS32 to read any +R discs (even if they were clones of -R discs).

I do find it strange, as I thought +R were supposed to be quite compatible with other players; is the compatibility with recorders different or have Toshiba stopped the machines reading +R (surely not !) ?

I have read other posts which indicate that the Panasonic E85 reads +R discs even though the manual says not.

have Toshiba stopped the machines reading +R (surely not !) ?
Yes they have.

I find this really childish.

I know there is a 'format war' going on, with everybody trying to protect their own (commercial) interest; but to stop them reading +R discs, especially as they can't write to them, seems to be completely unnecessary.

i have made the upgrade from philips 880 to tosh xs32, and indeed my +rw discs cannot be played.

I am considering transfering them to -r via my PC, but its a right pain to do so.

I am considering transfering them to -r via my PC, but its a right pain to do so
Use DVD Decrypter to extract them to your HDD and then simply burn to DVD-R using Nero (or any other DVD-Video burner).

I know there is a 'format war' going on, with everybody trying to protect their own (commercial) interest; but to stop them reading +R discs, especially as they can't write to them, seems to be completely unnecessary
Yes it's not ideal. But Sony backed out of supporting DVD-RAM throwing a clear insult at Mat****a and Toshiba. This is just Toshiba returning the favour.

Ultimately though it isn't a big deal - all DVD burners are now multi-format (except from Dell) - so people can use the formats that work best on their kit.

My shiny new RDXS32 arrived yesterday and I've had a chance to play with DVD+R media on it.
DVD+R disks created on a PC and bitset to DVD-Rom worked ok.
Disks which failed were - Greytop Datawrite 8x DVD-R disks (not recognised) and any DVD+RW (even if bitset to DVD-Rom).

It doesn't pretend to know anything about +R/+RWs, though.

Heres a compatability update from moir

BulkPaq Orange 4x = burned at 2x Speed Perfectly
BulkPaq Orange 8x = burned at 2x Speed but wouldnt Play, never tried again
DataWrite greys 8x = burned at 4x and work great.

sofar I think the Tosh likes the FujiFilm Dye of the DataWrites

my dvd+r "backups" of kids dvd's made on my Dell +R burner play on my Tosh. They are made using the DVDDecrypter/Clone DVD2 route and work perfectly. I wish I had done more research when buying the Dell a few months ago, I asked the Dell salesman, but of course he said "+R/RW is the way forward"!!

I asked the Dell salesman, but of course he said "+R/RW is the way forward"!!
As Dell are part of the DVD Alliance (the body that markets DVD+RW) this not surprising. They will supply a multi-format drive if you ask - which obviously is no good to you now. Not that there is really any pressing need but you can easily upgrade your DVD burner, e.g. if you want dual layer burning or DVD-RAM support. It's a simple matter of unplugging and pulling out one drive, setting the replacement to the same setting (Master or Slave) and inserting the new drive.

Thanks Rasczak, a guy at work has just swapped a drive on his home PC and says it is very easy, as does my brother. Right now it is OK as on the rare ocassions I need to use the PC to sort stuff out I just use a finalised -R. If I end up getting more into that side of thing I'll update my pc drive.

Has anyone created a dual layer +R and tried one?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom