• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Toshiba XS32 Firmware here if you need it..

redsox_mark

Distinguished Member
I know it's an old machine, but in case anyone needs it...

A forum member PM'd me asking if I had a copy of the firmware updates for this machine, as they are no longer available from Toshiba.

I found first a 1415 update, then 1416. With 1416 it will accept 4x -RW discs. It also makes it far less fussy about which brands of discs it will accept. I suggest loading 1416 (no need to load 1415 first).
I've uploaded both here
http://www.mbryant.aquiss.com/xs32/
These were originally posted by Toshiba Germany.

Note these will work on any machine with current firmware level of 14xx. It doesn't matter what the software version is (e.g. ZL10, ZL11, ZL12).

There were separate updates for machines with 13xx, I don't have these. This only works if the current firmware is 14xx.

You'll need to burn this image to a CD (Nero works well for this).

Instructions (in google translated German) are in this old thread
http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=228096

Experience of the forum member with the 1415 update shown below (I had not yet found the 1416 at the time!).

gowebgo said:
Hi Mark,

Thanks for the firmware. I can now access previously edited and dubbed discs. It again recognises my Verbatim DVD 16x - gone is the 'disk may need cleaning error'.

Still won't recognise my previously edited RAM disks.

I believe that there are firmware updates 1414 and 1417 available in Japan, plus software updates zL12 and zL13 - how true I don't know.

I emailed Toshiba Japan today regarding issues with the 'Tosh'. I live in hope that they resolve the problems with the RD-XS32. Still, after several years, users are having problems and a firmware needs posting in all countries.

Some users are replacing the DVD drives, so I sourced an LG 4163B, for back up, this appears to be the best match.

Maybe you could post the firmware again for users having more recent problems. Add this reply if you like

Thanks again

Neil

Ben Cole

Prominent Member
Very generous of you Mark. I updated my firmware to 1417 and it made it worse!!!

I then changed the drive which sorted most problems except I can no longer play CDs.

I might try 1416 to see if it's any better. than 1415 and 1417.

Thanks again.

gowebgo

Standard Member
Thanks to Mark for posting the firmware.

Fixed all issues except for problems with reading my previously dubbed RAM discs.

Changed my drive today for LG GSA H55N. Very simple to do with great results.

Now reads my RAM discs (won't format though). I have dubbed my home video back to the hard drive and placed it all on Verbatim DVD-R 16x. All Finalised and play great.

The only difference when dubbing from Hard Disk to DVD is that the 0% - 100% progress graphic seems static. But once the disk has been read the percentage count begins - seems quicker.

I would recommend replacing your drives or at least having a spare LG for later use.

I also have an LG GSA 4163B to try.

Thanks to everyone for all the help, especially Mark, and those that gave me the info for replacing my drive.

Luv Las Vegas

Standard Member
Thanks to Mark for posting the firmware.

Fixed all issues except for problems with reading my previously dubbed RAM discs.

Changed my drive today for LG GSA H55N. Very simple to do with great results.

Now reads my RAM discs (won't format though). I have dubbed my home video back to the hard drive and placed it all on Verbatim DVD-R 16x. All Finalised and play great.

The only difference when dubbing from Hard Disk to DVD is that the 0% - 100% progress graphic seems static. But once the disk has been read the percentage count begins - seems quicker.

I would recommend replacing your drives or at least having a spare LG for later use.

I also have an LG GSA 4163B to try.

Thanks to everyone for all the help, especially Mark, and those that gave me the info for replacing my drive.
hi gowebgo

just installed a LG GSA H55N into my poorly XS32. Drive has not been working for ages but seen the entries on the forum so thought I'd give a try as I like keeping certain things on DVD.

Installation like others was straightforward, and managed to pickup the OEM Drive for £17 so not much to lose.

All seemed to be going well, in that Blank Discs detected straight away so proceeded to copy a playlist to DVD. As you mentioned progress bar stays static for sometime but then proceeds quite fast so I could live with this. At the end I did a contents on DVD and my recording was there. Proceeded to the final stage which was to 'finalize' so as playable on other DVD Players which was the whole reason for doing and you guessed it .... it fails! Disc Error cannot write to disc.

I tried again, and with others discs but always getting the same result.

Did you do anything different only you mention you 'finalised' OK?

Don't quite understand the firmware issue ... various mentions new drives but then updating the firmware but surely this is firmware based on the origanal drive. Mine was 1309; now with this new DVD Drive in shows as 1.03.

Do you thing the problem may be with my software version which is ZL10? If so, is there a way that anybody knows how to upgrade this.

Any help would be appreciated otherwise I am going to have to buy new as I need to be able to finalise to DVD.

Thanks

4caster

Novice Member
I know this thread is several years old, but does anyone have a copy of the 1416 firmware for Toshiba RD-XS32SB DVD recorder?

The latest video from AVForums

Spielberg, Shyamalan, Aronofsky, Chazelle, Eddie Murphy and Mel Gibson - all the latest movies
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom