1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Toshiba XS32 arrived! Issues with timer recording

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by redsox_mark, Dec 2, 2004.

1. redsox_mark

redsox_mark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +621
    My XS32 arrived yesterday (ordered Monday afternoon from RGB).

Setup was easy, did some quick recordings and timeslip, very pleased with the quality.

Last night I programmed in a timed recording, and set the same timer on my Sony Freeview box... I got 2 hours of a black screen. Did some more testing today, and got the same. What seems to be happening is: the XS32 turns itself on 10 minutes before the recording is to start (I assume by design, to make sure it is all booted and ready). But if my Sony Freeview box isn't on at that time, then even though it comes on at the time the recording starts all I get is a black screen.

I tried leaving the Sony box on, and yes it records OK. I also set a timer on the Sony to turn on 15 minutes before the recording time (so it would be on when the XS32 wakes up) and this worked.

Has anyone else seen this? Do I really need to set the timer on the Sony 10+ minutes earlier than the XS32 (or leave the Sony on)? Our current practice is to leave the Sony in standby mode when not watching it, and set timers on it when recording.

Oh, and I cant get the IR dongle to talk to the Sony box, as I don't know the code.... Toshiba couldn't help... I've sent a query to Sony...

Mark

2. eddyad

eddyad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    1. A completely blank screen and no sound(?) suggests no signal. Did you select the correct AV in on the Tosh? Probably AV2/L1
    Also You must ensure that the Freeview box output type matches the Tosh input type (Composite (PAL) or s-video) The f'view box will not provide RGB from its video out scart. But if this was the prob you'd get sound and something visual even if it was a lot of flashing around a b/w pic.

2. 10 mins is an awful lot early! Is the clock right? Pioneers use 2 mins.

3. I have a nasty suspiscion that the IR link won't talk to any freeview boxes. I think it was designed for satellite.

3. tobyjuggler

tobyjuggler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I've had a similar problem with my Sky box, although it's not from turning it off. If I press the 'TV' button on the Sly remote the screen goes blank, even if I press no other button to control the telly with the Sky remote. I've not found a way round it other than not to use the button anymore. My guess is that pressing the TV button releases the scart control from the box causing the Tosh to mute its input(?). This never happened when the Sky box was connected directly to the TV. I wonder if a similar thing is happening with your Freeview box and when it switches itself on it doesn't send out the scart control signal. Do you lose the picture also when you press the TV/AV button on your Freeview remote?

As for the IR control, I think it should work ok, you just need the right code.

4. redsox_mark

redsox_mark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +621
    Yes - completely black, no sound.

I had the correct channel (AV2).

- It records correctly if I leave the Freeview box on
    - It definitely "wakes up" 10 minutes before the recording time, every time
    - The clock is correct
    - It records correctly if I programme the Freeview box to start 10 or more mins early

There doesn't seem to be an issue with the Freeview box itself, never a problem recording to the VCR.

It just is that if the Freeview box is off (standby) when the XS32 does it's 10 minute early wakeup, it won't record a signal when the Freeview wakes up.

A bit long winded, but here is the test I did:

Test 1
    - Programmed XS32 to record 3:30 to 4:00, and same on Freeview box
    - 3:20 XS32 wakes up (but not recording yet)
    - 3:30 Freeview comes on (I watched it turn on)
    - 3:30 (seconds later) XS32 starts recording
    result: Blank recording

Test 2
    - Programmed XS32 to record 4:30 to 5:00
    - Programmed Freeview 4:15 to 5:00
    - 4:15 Freeview turns on
    - 4:20 XS32 wakes up (but not recording yet)
    - 4:30 XS32 starts recording
    result: Good recording

???????

As for the IR, there was an old post (6 months or so ago) where someone said he got it to work with his Sony Freeview box, so I suspect this can be done, but I don't know how to find the code.

Mark

5. eddyad

eddyad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    This may solve it (STB - f'view box):

1. Check that when the STB is on normally (i.e. not under timer control) you get apic from its video out - turn on the Tosh and the TV and set the TV to the Tosh AV input.

2. Check that if you put a timer setting in the STB and leave it powered up on a different channel to the one in the timer, then it changes channels correctly when the timer event starts.

3. If 1 and 2 are OK, just leave the STB powered up.

At least you dont have to add the 10 mins all the time.

6. redsox_mark

redsox_mark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +621
    Thanks - I've spent the evening experimenting, and I've found the problem.
    It is an issue with the way my Freeview STB works... and nothing to do with the 10 minutes.

With my STB, when I do a timer recording, it only outputs to its second "VCR" SCART, not the main SCART. This was fine with the VCR... but this VCR SCART is not RGB while the main SCART is.

Actually if I record from the EPG on the STB I have a choice of timer record and "wake up" - where "wake up" outputs to the main SCART. But with a manual record there is no such option.

So, I'll need to program from the EPG (which I don't usually do, as I don't trust it, also the Freeview EPG doesn't go that far in advance), or leave the box on (and hope I can find out the IR code).

This isn't a fault of the XS32, but a bit of a dissapointment to me...

Mark

7. jdarushall

jdarushall

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Even with the IR code you will get the same problem.

You have to leave the box powered on. Then change the channel using either the IR control or your EPG.

Its the same with sky, you still have to leave the box on as al the IR does if send the channel number to the box.

The other problem as you may have found is that depending on make of box even starting the box up before the recorder still doesn't work.

A Sky and maybe the freeview boxes power up and switch to the channel, they assume that you are using this to record to video via AV2 so just sent a wake up signal. A good idea would be to be able to select which Av1/Av2 is woken up.

PS. The Tosh starts up 10 mins before the program and about 30 seconds before it starts to record it changes the channel.

8. linkster

linkster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I got the same model yesterday and have an issue with it resetting my picture to 4:3 when I don't want it to. I have 16:9 selected on my Sky box, and have a Toshiba TV, and have set up the menus in the DVD player correctly I believe (I chose the 16:9 Wide option which according to the manual should leave any 4:3 picture in the stretch mode providing that's what I selected) yet it seems to keep jumping back from Super Live to 4:3. A bit annoying, any tips?
    Thanks!

9. redsox_mark

redsox_mark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +621
    Thanks - the Freeview box does work UK if it is manually turned on and left on. The only problem here is I've trained the kids to shut off all the equipment, it is bound to confuse them and they will forget to leave the Freeview box on...But I'll have to try.

This is getting a bit off-topic, but with timer record my Freeview only turns on the VCR SCART, not the RGB "TV" SCART. Unless I programme it via the EPG, then I have option of a "wakeup" instead of "timer", and this does output via the TV SCART. (I guess the idea here is you use your TV as an alarm).

So yes, I either need to leave the Freeview on, or program it via the EPG.

Mark

10. cresfern

cresfern

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have Sony Freeview and about to buy the Tosh 32.
    Can you confirm that I can record using just the Sony EPG and I do not need to set the timer on the Toshiba as well.

Cres

11. redsox_mark

redsox_mark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +621
    No, you can't do this.

The Toshiba doesn't have the Sony "Smartlink", nor any function to automatically record when a signal is sent to it. (And if you have the same Sony box as I, the VTX-D800U, the Smartlink is only on the 2nd SCART, which is not RGB).

What the Toshiba can do is control an external STB, using a IR "dongle". So if you have the right Sky or Freeview box and know the code, you could set a timer only on the Toshiba, and have it change channels on the STB. For this to work the STB will have to be left on.

I did see an old post where someone claimed to have got this to work with the Sony Freeview box; I've yet to find out how. The XS32 documentation only lists codes for some Satellite receivers, it doesn't list the Sony box.

Mark

12. eddyad

eddyad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    All the STBs are the same. No TV out from timer activation. If you want to use the RGB output for recording (as I do - Grundig Freeview STB, Pioneer DVR) you'll have to leave the STB on.
    I pass the RGB through the Pioneer to watch RGB. If there is a record/watch clash I watch analog on the TV. (But as it happens the Pio passthrough will let you record analog from interna tuner and still pass through the scart with the RGB)
    The Sony STB has s-video (almost as good as RGB) from its VCR out, so you can use that to the Tosh for recording. Use RGB from the STB to the TV and from the Tosh to the TV.

13. redsox_mark

redsox_mark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +621
    The Sony box only supports S-Video on the VCR SCART to a Smarklink device; otherwise it is just composite PAL.

But as I discovered, it does do TV out from timer if I use the EPG to record, and use the "wake up" (instead of timer) option.

Mark

14. cresfern

cresfern

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Mark said "The Toshiba doesn't have the Sony "Smartlink", nor any function to automatically record when a signal is sent to it. (And if you have the same Sony box as I, the VTX-D800U, the Smartlink is only on the 2nd SCART, which is not RGB). "

1. If the Toshiba Smartlink is on the 2nd Scart can't I just use this to automatically record when a signal is sent to it from the Sony VTX-D800U .

2. Do the Panasonic machines have the Sony VTX-D800U "Smartlink" function to automatically record when a signal is sent to it? If not are there any machines that do this.

15. redsox_mark

redsox_mark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +621
    The Toshiba XS32 does not support Smartlink.

I'm not sure about the Panasonic... it doesn't have Smartlink but I think has something similar. The other issue you have with your Sony box is that the VCR SCART, which is the Smartlink one, doesn't output RGB. Only composite, or S-video only if the recorder is a Smartlink one.

Mark

16. eddyad

eddyad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    You have to have a recorder that supports an external start signal. I understand this trigger is a high voltage on Pin 8 of the scart.

Panasonic and Poneer accept this and call it External Link and Auto Start respectively. My Grundig Freeview STB starts and stops a Pioneer 420, but as the STB output is composite only I use the arrangement in my earlier post.

As Pin 8 is also used for aspect ratio switching, it is not possible to use Auto Start if you connect the STB TV out to the recorder as the A/R signals start the recorder when the STB is in normal use, and under timer control there is no signal at all from the TV out.

There is nothing in the Pioneer instructions to link Auto Start with a Smartlink external tuner. The only reference is that if you have a Smartlink or equivalent TV the recorder will download channel settings from the TV (but not in RGB mode).

I can't think why the Sony STB won't send s-video to a non-smartlink recorder providing you can set the recorder to receive it. Suppose you have an s-VHS VCR connected? My old Sony VCR had Smartlink but didn't auto-record from the STB.

Sorry if there's some repetition here - it's a messy area

17. redsox_mark

redsox_mark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +621
    The design of the Sony Freeview box is you have 2 choices:

1. Set the VCR SCART to composite (in the settings) or
    2. Set the VCR SCART to "Smartlink". In this case, it is supposed to detect if the connected Smartlink recorder is S-compatible, and if so it will output S.

So if you have a recorder which doesn't talk Smartlink to the Sony, all you get is composite (from the VCR scart).

Mark

18. Hobo4

Hobo4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  19. jdarushall

jdarushall

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

I always leave the Tosh TV in Super Live mode it should then switch to Wide when needed and then switch back to super live when not.

The only time I had a problem was when WSS was set on the TV menu, I tried it off and it still worked.

Hence

Tosh TV NO WSS leave on Super live
    Sky set to Wide
    Tosh DVDR set to Wide