1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Toshiba XS32 and Ritek G04

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by CLH, Sep 30, 2004.

1. CLH

CLH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    I'm getting a lot of errors recently.

First it wouldn't read an older G04 disc.

Now it's produced 3 coasters in quick succession.

I'm using Ritek Ridisc G04 discs which I assumed to be ok. I've used G04 without any problems before.

Discs or player???

2. jdarushall

jdarushall

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've been having this problem lately as well.

Most of my disc are Riteck grade A (G04) and have played OK

The other night I burnt (via PC) on a new tub of Ritek G04 and the Tosh took 5 minues making a noise and then said the disc needed cleaning.

Did another one and tried again, left it for 15 minutes and still no good.

Took the disc out and before throwing it away rubbed it over (not even carefully) and it loaded in under a minute.

Tried the same with the first disc but no good. Then tried some older Ritek discs and they wouldn't work either.

Next day tried them again and they were OK even the new batch.

Next time didn't work again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Funny how is seems to read the crappy Princo discs although it takes 2 mins to read it and the quality is...... well.....

Hope its not the recorder on its way out, but no idea why it works one time and not the next.

If it loads up in just over a minute, then I eject and load again it won't have it even after 10 or more minutes. This really P's me off because you've no idea when this is going to happen and you can do anything while it is "loading..."

Any ideas???

3. CLH

CLH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Seems exactly like my problem. While I don't have a microscope the disc surface looks pristine to me.

4. jdarushall

jdarushall

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well the discs I tried had just burn't minutes before, so I know they were OK.

Tried again last night and had enough after I'd tried 8 discs with the same message.

Then...

I tried one of my first Ritek burns (maybe at X2) on the old Pioneer (PC) drive and it loaded in about 45 sec. I then tried the other discs that didn't work and it took about a minute or more to load but they all worked!!!!

I'm wondering if burning on the new (LG4120) is the reason but I'm sure I've tried burning at X2 and also some older (Pioneer burnt) Riteks that didn't work.

Anybody any ideas why???????

5. drjoshua

drjoshua

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is it true that the Tosh can´t play DVD+R discs? It seems rather odd to me in the year 2004!

6. Neville Street

Neville Street

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Tosh plays DVD+R's if they have been finalised properly in a PC burner. I use my PC to make DVD+R back ups of shop bought kids DVD's and they play perfectly in my Tosh.

7. drjoshua

drjoshua

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is there any special way to finalize a DVD+R in Nero or is it OK to choose Make DVD-video and hit Burn? Sometimes Nero tells me that the DVD is going to be full and not be able to burn any more sessions. Then I choose Burn with one session.

8. jdarushall

jdarushall

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Over the weekend I've tried varrious tests on media.

There doesn't seem to be any pattern, now other discs don't want to load.

The only discs that will load within a minute are pressed DVD's and TDK -RW.

I tried a Ritek G4 and it clunked away for over 20 mins before I got the message that the disc was dirty. Tried in the old Toshiba player and no problem, loaded in under 30 seconds.

I thought that playing a DVD-R that I knew worked, before I played one that won't, did the trick but it was just a radom fluke.

The only posible solution was that after watching a film (1.5hrs) on a pressed DVD, then using a DVD-R seemed to work but only tried it once.

Trying DVD-R while watching something on the HDD doesn't make any difference as I thought it may be something to do with heat inside the case.

But after being switched off all night I have no chance off loading any DVD-R for a while. (Suspect Heat???) Leaving in standby all night or even recording most of the night (on HDD) makes no difference.

The disc have been tried on 7 other different readers/players/writters and load OK.

Now I have problems with

Bulpaq Green X2, Orange X4
    Datawrite Red X4
    White (unbranded TDR dye) x4
    Ritek Grade A orange X4

For some strange reason the cheap disc tend to have a better chance of loading and working quicker.

The only ones that do load OK are: (under a min)

Panasonic RAM
    TDR -RW
    Datasafe/Bulpaq (Ritek orange) -RW (play but won't record!)

I was wondering if anyone had tried any X8 media in particular Datasafe Red X8, Ridata ??? as I've seen these in my local shop that has just appeared.

9. cuseeme

cuseeme

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There are a lot of duff Ritek's out there right now. Ritek quality has plummetted recently for some reason and even their grade A branded stuff is causing problems. Many people I know have switched to other brands.

10. pinatubo

pinatubo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is there any evidence suggesting that counterfeit Ritek disks are being produced?

11. liteswap

liteswap
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I switched from the mauve coloured Riteks (about a 7% error rate) to the Video Reel type and have only had one coaster in the last 75 discs, which is not a bad error rate.

12. Bob H2

Bob H2
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have had success with Sony 4x discs sold under the Vertex name.

13. CLH

CLH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    It was the video reel that I was having trouble with.

Seems to have stopped now. 3 from 25 were bad so I'll put it down as an anomaly.

Which is good because I have 75 left and I really like the film reel ones!